gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:50:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: why does nobody want to say The Beach Boys these days  (Read 8085 times)
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2008, 03:46:49 AM »

i notice a lot of, what's the word, euphemisms?
"the beach boys band"
"the beach boys touring band"
"the current touring version of the beach boys"
"mike and bruce's band"
why all the sidestepping?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:13:52 AM »

Hm. Whenever I write 'The Beach Boys', I certainly don't have any line-up since 1986 in mind. I mean the band that created Pet Sounds, and all those gorgeous hits and artful non-hits. Not the band that's led by a nasal meditating body-hopper with enormous alimony obligations and even more idiotic lawsuits on his track record (and the two are connected... allegedly).

Scientific definition:

Beach Boys, The: any line up of the band that includes Brian D. Wilson at the helm, and with said mr. Wilson in any state that guarantees the capacity to overrule creative decisions proposed by Michael Love.

That should do the trick.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 06:25:37 AM »

Not the band that's led by a nasal meditating body-hopper
oh you mean that guy who sung all their hits?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:47:00 AM by art rush » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 06:45:16 AM »

Not the band that's led by a nasal meditating body-hopper
oh you mean that guy who sung all their hits?

Yes, that's the one I have in mind. Who did you think I did?

art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 06:48:20 AM »

i dunno, i guess i tend to give mike more legitimacy then he usually gets. without him there is no band, for a lot of reasons. surely it's not all brian. would brian+bruce= beach boys?
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 07:06:11 AM »

Yeah when I tell people I'm going to see Mike and Bruce from the Beach Boys it's because that's what it is. Just because Mike Love litigated to use the name doesn't mean he and Bruce are the band. That's the same reason I believe that a lot of people disregard Summer In Paradise because Brian Wilson had no involvement with it. It's like the Beatles without McCartney. Even though Brian and Dennis weren't there I got to see them once with Carl when I was a kid and that's the one time I can say that I saw the Beach Boys.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 07:23:34 AM »

All the hits, huh?

Who sang lead on Help Me Rhonda?
Who sang lead on Don't Worry Baby?
Who sang lead on In My Room?
Who sang lead on Surfer Girl?

Yeah, that Mike Love sure has some range.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 07:33:07 AM »

Can't we find a compromise for the current line-up? Suggestions:

The Beach Men
The Beachy Boys
The Sand Boys
The Coastal Sand Young Men (= litigation-proof)
The Beach Pensioners

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »

No Mike Love, no Beach Boys.

I consider "Mike and Bruce" to be a nice description of the current line-up. It avoids all the whining too.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 09:41:15 AM »

If Brian, Al and Dave do something together at the CWF this weekend, that's more like "The Beach Boys" in my opinion.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 10:11:23 AM »

Was this thread just designed to start up the same old arguments? Seems that way. You can't tell me you don't know why some people prefer not to call the band that performs under the name The Beach Boys by that name. To them, the Beach Boys are a Wilson-dominated band (or at least a band that includes some Wilsons ... or at least Al); and/or the band they have in mind is a progressive band that creates new material. And it's also clear why others feel fine calling it the Beach Boys: first and maybe foremost, it is LEGALLY the Beach Boys; it's got one of the original key members, another longtime key member, and several great musicians who have been associated with them for years, and they go out and put on shows of Beach Boys music that people love. You can pick a side but there's no reason to pick a fight (unless you've got some financial interest in the whole thing, that is).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 10:36:28 AM »

Luther's post says it best.  There are strong opinions on both sides. 

For myself, it's hard to call any band without a Wilson "The Beach Boys."  I think the Beach Boys died with Carl, and, as a creative entity, much earlier.  Nobody is taking anything away from Mike, but for a lot of people (myself included), Brian brings more legitimacy because he was the architect of the sound.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 02:40:19 PM »

i notice a lot of, what's the word, euphemisms?
"the beach boys band"
"the beach boys touring band"
"the current touring version of the beach boys"
"mike and bruce's band"
why all the sidestepping?

Because there are no Wilson Brothers involved.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »

Because it is the Beach Boys Band as their own website clearly states.

http://www.beachboysband.com/

http://www.beachboysband.net/bio.htm
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 04:15:10 PM »

imo it's like 5 pieces of a puzzle (sorry Bruce).  Each member brought something to the table. Some had more talent and creativity than the others making them a bigger piece, but they were all still a single piece. So no matter how big or small the contribution, without all of them, The Beach Boys aren't completely whole. I know it's super cheesy but I try to look at it like that to give Mike the benefit of the doubt. I think the problem with Mr. Love isn't that he didn't contribute, it's that all the negative things he did outnumber any of the good by a long haul. So the way I see it "The Beach Boys" without Brian, Dennis, or Carl would be far more wrong and unfortunate than the Beach Boys without Mike.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 04:59:10 PM »

....a nasal meditating body-hopper with enormous alimony obligations and even more idiotic lawsuits on his track record....

Oh, come on! Brian hasn't meditated for years.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »

If Paul McCartney toured with Ringo Starr or George Martin or Yoko Ono in tow, could it be billed as The Beatles?
If Apple licensed it, I suppose it could be called The Beatles.  But it wouldn't be.

The show currently licensed by BRI to bill itself as "The Beach Boys" is what it is.

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »

....a nasal meditating body-hopper with enormous alimony obligations and even more idiotic lawsuits on his track record....

Oh, come on! Brian hasn't meditated for years.

Yeah, see, that WOULD work, if all the other conditions applied to Brian, but he's not particularly nasal - certainly it's not, for all his current vocal limitations, the first adjective you'd use - nor does he have enormous alimony obligations, having been married once before, etc, etc.

Reasonable Mike Love defence. Foolish, kneejerk Mike Love defence: there is a difference.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:27:57 PM by John » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »

I think SJS was joking... (tough crowd)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 06:47:46 PM »

I think SJS was joking... (tough crowd)

Yeah, I was gonna put a  Cheesy at the end but I gave the readers more credit. Silly me...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 07:20:11 PM »

If Paul McCartney toured with Ringo Starr or George Martin or Yoko Ono in tow, could it be billed as The Beatles?

No. To much respect for the trademark and the legacy to even think about it.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 07:20:45 PM »

Hey don't blame Mike 100% for doing whatever he does to the band's name. Brian and Al's camp could choose not to okay the Lovester to license the name could they not?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 07:22:32 PM »

Hey don't blame Mike 100% for doing whatever he does to the band's name. Brian and Al's camp could choose not to okay the Lovester to license the name could they not?

Yes, they could. But then there's the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 07:23:06 PM »

Exactly.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 07:23:15 PM »

To call this band - i.e. Mike, Bruce and a bunch of strangers - 'The Beach Boys' when Dennis and Carl are dead, and Al and Brian no longer wish to be involved would be disrespectful to their former bandmates, as if they were negating their contribution. I think Mike & Bruce are smart and generally respectful enough of the legacy of work they achieved together as The Beach Boys to realise this.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx