gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:27:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guess I'm Dumb  (Read 3227 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:18:52 AM »

Is it just me or can anyone else hear Brian talking just after the 2:20 mark in Guess I'm Dumb? It sounds as though he is directing a session or something and it has mistakenly made it onto the finished song. I don't know if it's on all the releases of the song but it is (to my ears) on the Pet Projects release.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 04:11:01 AM »

Is it just me or can anyone else hear Brian talking just after the 2:20 mark in Guess I'm Dumb? It sounds as though he is directing a session or something and it has mistakenly made it onto the finished song. I don't know if it's on all the releases of the song but it is (to my ears) on the Pet Projects release.
That is Brian talking, and it comes from the vocal overdub sessions. It is audible on the finished single mix.

Does anyone understand what Brian is saying?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 04:52:25 AM »

I wish I could tell what he was saying... maybe someone could isolate it somehow?

It's always amazed me how many little things there are like this on Brian's productions.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 04:55:34 AM »

I wish I could tell what he was saying... maybe someone could isolate it somehow?

It's always amazed me how many little things there are like this on Brian's productions.

It's also happening in the Here Today 'afterbeat' bridge, isn't it?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:05:23 PM »

YES! When he tells Bruce to shut up because they are recording.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 01:19:02 PM »

I think Brian says something like 'awesome' (directed to Glen).

Cool

I guess I've got a way with girls
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »

I'm pretty sure Brian says "syn-co-pa-ted, Glenn!"

Grin

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 03:13:10 PM »

I think he says "That was outta sight!" Then I can't understand it, but maybe "Come on in [to the booth]," speaking to Glenn, who had just finished his vocal.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »

I concur with Amy B on "That was outta sight!" -- it's pretty clear on the Unsurpassed Masters set that has the sessions...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 01:35:07 AM »

YES! When he tells Bruce to shut up because they are recording.

Great! I must listen in detail now!

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 01:54:34 AM »

The Heartical Don, if you have the Pet Sounds Sessions box set, listen to the final track on Disc 2 which is the backing track of Here Today... then just let it run after the track has played and you can hear all the conversation isolated... it's just Bruce saying "does this have flash" or something and then someone (Dennis?) responds... and I believe Brian says "top please". Very cool to hear
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 02:57:28 AM »

The Heartical Don, if you have the Pet Sounds Sessions box set, listen to the final track on Disc 2 which is the backing track of Here Today... then just let it run after the track has played and you can hear all the conversation isolated... it's just Bruce saying "does this have flash" or something and then someone (Dennis?) responds... and I believe Brian says "top please". Very cool to hear

I have that box. Thanks for the hint, I'll listen in today!

JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 09:28:23 AM »

Brian may have written this song with the idea of getting a cover by another artist. His co-writer was more of a professional songwriter (in the Brill Building sense) and the production, vocal style and melody countour tells me that they were going for a Burt Bacharach/Gene Pitney type of thing; especially evident on the "I give in" line (with its syncopated 16th note phrasing). I wonder if the song had been shopped around to other artists?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 10:23:56 AM »

Brian may have written this song with the idea of getting a cover by another artist. His co-writer was more of a professional songwriter (in the Brill Building sense) and the production, vocal style and melody countour tells me that they were going for a Burt Bacharach/Gene Pitney type of thing; especially evident on the "I give in" line (with its syncopated 16th note phrasing). I wonder if the song had been shopped around to other artists?

I still wish he'd kept it for the Beach Boys...would have made a great addition to the "Today" album.
SG7
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 11:03:54 AM »

It sounds like someone is cursing before the song starts.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx