gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:59:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stars In The Sky & The Milky Way Band - anyone have the 45?  (Read 4130 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2008, 05:30:36 AM »

I do. Let me explain. Stars In The Sky consisted of Dan and David Kessel (sons of Wrecking Crew member and jazz guitarist Barney Kessel), and they released one (1) great double A-sided single in 1977 or so. It was on the 'Stars In The Sky' label, and had 'Baby Hold On' as the A-side (a beautiful uptempo thing, with faintly rockabilly verses and a superb BBs/Spector chorus. The B-side was 'Love (Oh What A Feeling)', slower, and equally great.
I bought it in the sales around that time, for about € 0.15. Money well spent. I am quite sure that numerous session pros are on it, and that Earle Mankey was an engineer. The sound is worthy of Spector himself.
It is one of the great riddles of pop that this did not chart, nor lead to more. One of the single's sides later was shortly revived for a comp LP on Bomp, and the band was re-christened as The Martians.
Anyone know more?

Related: I also have Earle Mankey's great 12" non-hit single 'Mau-Mau'. Brilliantly cool, complete with a b/w cover of two entirely song-unrelated young '50s scientists around some test tubes. But it works. And so an anaesthesized world ignored it. Their fault.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:16:56 AM »

I do. Let me explain. Stars In The Sky consisted of Dan and David Kessel (sons of Wrecking Crew member and jazz guitarist Barney Kessel), and they released one (1) great double A-sided single in 1977 or so. It was on the 'Stars In The Sky' label, and had 'Baby Hold On' as the A-side (a beautiful uptempo thing, with faintly rockabilly verses and a superb BBs/Spector chorus. The B-side was 'Love (Oh What A Feeling)', slower, and equally great.
I bought it in the sales around that time, for about € 0.15. Money well spent. I am quite sure that numerous session pros are on it, and that Earle Mankey was an engineer. The sound is worthy of Spector himself.
It is one of the great riddles of pop that this did not chart, nor lead to more. One of the single's sides later was shortly revived for a comp LP on Bomp, and the band was re-christened as The Martians.
Anyone know more?

Yes, I have this BOMP compilation, called "Waves (An Anthology Of New Music Vol. 2)". The Kessel Brothers, calling themselves Dan Phillips and David Scott for this release, are playing all instruments - so no session pros on this one. The engineer was Doc Siegel, not Earle Mankey.
Nevertheless, a great power pop song. Reminds me of Dwight Twilley or The Flamin´ Groovies. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:33:02 AM »

Anyone know more?

Yes, I have this BOMP compilation, called "Waves (An Anthology Of New Music Vol. 2)". The Kessel Brothers, calling themselves Dan Phillips and David Scott for this release, are playing all instruments - so no session pros on this one. The engineer was Doc Siegel, not Earle Mankey.
Nevertheless, a great power pop song. Reminds me of Dwight Twilley or The Flamin´ Groovies. 

Thanks Chris! Is this Bomp LP still available in some form? My single's a bit worn, you know...

Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 12:46:28 AM »

Is this Bomp LP still available in some form?

Deleted for some years - and no CD re-issue, as far as I know.

But here´s a mint copy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.de/WAVES-2-Martians-US-NEO-60-s-GARAGE-LP-80-MINT-Insert_W0QQitemZ320308079111QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320308079111&_trkparms=72%3A1231%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 02:07:44 AM »

thanks!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx