gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:39:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tallahassee Lassie  (Read 8476 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2008, 10:06:30 PM »

I've recently been intrigued by this criminally short snippet shoehorned into "Talk To Me" so my question is, does there exist a fully fledged version in the vaults?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 12:32:26 AM »

Not that I'm aware of. Apparently it was recorded that way. Shame.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 06:46:48 AM »

always loved that little snippet at the end. wish there was a full version.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 07:08:48 AM »

I defy anyone to find an album with TWO Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon covers on it! But they're both great. Brian could still produce.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 03:02:04 AM »

Thanks Andrew and I agree, a real shame.
Somehow the edit reminds me of the effect Brian used in Windchimes; a WTF moment, in a good way!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:38:17 AM »

Nice thread. I love 15 Big Ones, despite all its faults. 'Everyone's In Love' is sickeningly sweet. 'Rock 'n' Roll Music' is droll. 'Susie Cincinnati' is badly produced (compressed). 'That Same Song' is, um, that same song. Forced. 'A Casual Look' is a somewhat embarrassing seaside shanty type of thing. 'TM Song' is an advertisement for an odd kind of body-hopping for world peace and more lawsuits. I could go on.
But oddly enough its endearing moments win out easily for me. 'Chapel Of Love' has Brian singing gloriously out of his fat belly, whilst in the background the synths chime in with a very unusual odd delay, perhaps even a quarter or half of a second all of the time. 'Blueberry Hill' is magnificent, the Spectorian grandeur after the standup bass intro is fantastic. 'It's OK' is their very last great beach stomper, Denny with his throaty rasp in a 'what the heck, we're 35 and we don't care' attitude, and Roy Wood paying tribute on his saxaphone in the background. 'Back Home' is Brian celebrating the demise of his youthful vocal range (and prolly having a cigarette even during singing his parts). 'Had To Phone Ya' vaguely reminds me of 'Friends' and 'Busy Doing Nothing', and its instrumental track is absolutely great. 'In The Still Of The Night' is another Dennis-Through-The-Ashtray thing, and I love it. And finally: 'Just Once In My Life' is two brothers in problems covering a song by two fake brothers and improving on the original by country miles.
Great album. It has joy, fun, pain, sorrow, embarrassment, and boredom in equal measures. Just like life, actually.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 05:06:53 AM »

Happy Dance Hey! I love 15 Big Ones. I guess some people are more cynical and judgemental. If I liked it then, I still like it. Each of us likes and dislikes various albums/songs by The Beach Boys. I never got into the picking apart thing. I love their entire body of work. Released and not released. They are an amazing band with lots of interesting things that they brought to the table to make it enjoyable.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 05:53:10 AM »

Thanks Andrew and I agree, a real shame.
Somehow the edit reminds me of the effect Brian used in Windchimes; a WTF moment, in a good way!
Indeed, the transition is fantastic. And it's made more so by the complete boredon that is 'Talk to Me'.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 07:25:23 AM »

Happy Dance Hey! I love 15 Big Ones. I guess some people are more cynical and judgemental. If I liked it then, I still like it. Each of us likes and dislikes various albums/songs by The Beach Boys. I never got into the picking apart thing. I love their entire body of work. Released and not released. They are an amazing band with lots of interesting things that they brought to the table to make it enjoyable.

Good point, well made. The BBs, in Greil Marcus' words, were never fakes. Even in their most embarrassing moments (and there were many of those) they tried to come up with something.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 08:50:50 AM »

Ha!  I love A Casual Look! Disappointing album, but underrated in the same breath.  Wish it had been 15 oldies!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 10:01:20 AM »

... and Roy Wood paying tribute on his saxaphone in the background.

Drums. Roy played the drums on this track despite what the credits might claim.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 10:44:50 AM »

... and Roy Wood paying tribute on his saxaphone in the background.

Drums. Roy played the drums on this track despite what the credits might claim.

Is there no end to your trainspotting obs... wisdom?
Thanks AGD, I didn't have the faintest idea. I always believe the credits. But I can see it now... Roy always liked a firm 4/4 beat, it was one of the Move's trademarks.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 07:58:43 AM »

Just heard Freddy Cannon's original Coke ad the other day. Talk about one energetic rock'n'roll singer.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 10:22:16 AM »

Thanks AGD, I didn't have the faintest idea. I always believe the credits.

Including the "Funky Pretty" songwriting credits on the 1990 Holland CD? Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 11:14:33 AM »

Got this one on my Carl Wilson compilation.  Fits in really nice with Youngblood and It's Getting Late!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 04:02:16 PM »

Thanks AGD, I didn't have the faintest idea. I always believe the credits.

Including the "Funky Pretty" songwriting credits on the 1990 Holland CD? Smiley

Who does it credit?
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 04:08:23 PM »

The disc itself credits: B. Wilson - M. Love - J. Rieley.  The enclosed booklet says: Composer/Brian Wilson;
Lyrics/Mike Love; Additional lyrics by Mike Love.

No Jack Rieley in the booklet.
mtaber
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »

Speaking of "Talk To Me", was this a song Brian did because it had special meaning for Marilyn and him?  The reason I wonder is because, in the Spring version of "Good Time", there's the line "Hey, baby, turn up the radio - the DJ just said he's playin' our favorite song - Talk To Me"...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 09:20:22 PM »

Disappointing album, but underrated in the same breath.

Good description! I think 15 Big Ones would make a fascinating Stack O' Tracks album. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 12:27:05 AM »

Disappointing album, but underrated in the same breath.

Good description! I think 15 Big Ones would make a fascinating Stack O' Tracks album. 

...is the right answer. I brought this up before: during the time we waited for the 2004 SMiLE, a guy named Peter C. spoke about a private listening session (with Linett, or Boyd, or Desper) to the instrumental backing tracks of 15 Big Ones, on high-end equipment. He raved and raved, so good  was it, he thought. I think a SOT (Stack 'O' Tracks I mean...) version of it should be in the shops before Xmas. The public has a right to know, esp. in times of financial crisis.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 12:33:49 PM »

The disc itself credits: B. Wilson - M. Love - J. Rieley.  The enclosed booklet says: Composer/Brian Wilson;
Lyrics/Mike Love; Additional lyrics by Mike Love.

No Jack Rieley in the booklet.

Does the booklet credits make a lick of sense?  If Mike wrote the lyrics, why would he be credited again for "additional lyrics?"  It might as well read Composer/Brian Wilson; additional music by Brian Wilson! Undecided
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 12:51:46 AM »

Nice thread. I love 15 Big Ones, despite all its faults. 'Everyone's In Love' is sickeningly sweet. 'Rock 'n' Roll Music' is droll. 'Susie Cincinnati' is badly produced (compressed). 'That Same Song' is, um, that same song. Forced. 'A Casual Look' is a somewhat embarrassing seaside shanty type of thing. 'TM Song' is an advertisement for an odd kind of body-hopping for world peace and more lawsuits. I could go on.
But oddly enough its endearing moments win out easily for me. 'Chapel Of Love' has Brian singing gloriously out of his fat belly, whilst in the background the synths chime in with a very unusual odd delay, perhaps even a quarter or half of a second all of the time. 'Blueberry Hill' is magnificent, the Spectorian grandeur after the standup bass intro is fantastic. 'It's OK' is their very last great beach stomper, Denny with his throaty rasp in a 'what the heck, we're 35 and we don't care' attitude, and Roy Wood paying tribute on his saxaphone in the background. 'Back Home' is Brian celebrating the demise of his youthful vocal range (and prolly having a cigarette even during singing his parts). 'Had To Phone Ya' vaguely reminds me of 'Friends' and 'Busy Doing Nothing', and its instrumental track is absolutely great. 'In The Still Of The Night' is another Dennis-Through-The-Ashtray thing, and I love it. And finally: 'Just Once In My Life' is two brothers in problems covering a song by two fake brothers and improving on the original by country miles.
Great album. It has joy, fun, pain, sorrow, embarrassment, and boredom in equal measures. Just like life, actually.
This is probably the best review of 15BO that I've ever read. Well done.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 01:33:20 AM »

Thanks, Jay, for cheering up a dreary Sunday morning here. I blushed a bit, really!  Smiley

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 01:44:45 AM »

Thanks, Jay, for cheering up a dreary Sunday morning here. I blushed a bit, really!  Smiley
In that case, I'll also compliment your taste in comedy. *looks at your avatar*  Wink

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 01:47:35 AM »

While on the subject of 15BO, is it just me or does Carl sound a bit....ehem....wasted/half asleep on all of his vocals on the album?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx