gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:35:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: God only knows whether this will come to fruition...  (Read 11385 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 01:59:59 AM »

I, for one, REALLY like "Love".

Especially the "Strawberry Fields" version with splices of "Sgt. Pepper", "Penny Lane",  "Piggies",
and "Hello Goodbye" mixed seamlessly into the fade. Also the backwards "Sun King" vocals into
"Something", the intro into "Lady Madonna", etc.

I think that is overly reactionary to condemn any similar reconceptions of Brian's masterpieces as
somehow "sacreligious" or unacceptable. I'm sure George Martin and son could do some very ori-
ginal and creative reconfigurations of Pet Sounds or Smile, and I would be very interested to hear them. 3D

I am sorry. I don't see it as reactionary at all; neither do I see 'remixing' in the 'Love' format as 'progressive'. I must admit here that in my opinion there indeed are works of art that should not be tampered with. These favourite items for me exist as they are, outside of time and place, and are perfect in themselves. Yes, there have been art movements that applauded the painted moustache on the Mona Lisa, or graffiti on other old great paintings. I hate that.
Mind: I am not in favor of prohibiting such acts. But I see it more as: 'lesser talents doing their particular thang with the works of the true masters' and that has, for me, never lead to someting of additional, or, heaven forbid, more merit.

In short: if you like a 'messed up' God Only Knows, then you don't understand it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 03:36:30 AM »

The Beatles remasters are set for the new year, but as yet no information on bonus tracks.

Personally I think Brian's music would lend itself even more to the collage appoach than the Beatles', since he constantly employed it himself!
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 03:40:09 AM »

At any rate, the Beatles are better than Coldplay.

And Bollinger is better than Pepsi.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 04:17:59 AM »

At any rate, the Beatles are better than Coldplay.

And Bollinger is better than Pepsi.

Grin Grin Grin

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 06:40:38 AM »

Stars on 45 for the 21st Century.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 10:56:30 AM »

I consider George Martin to be one of the Beatles, so I don't think it a blasphemy that he has gone back and created alternate mixes of the works (and they are simply alternates since the originals remain available). Martin has also appeared to be more knowledgable about the original recordings themselves than the band as evidenced by the bonus footage included on the ANTHOLOGY DVDs where McCartney thought he might have overdubbed bass on every take of "You Never Give Me Your Money" while Harrison didn't even know what song it was!

As to Martin and/or son reworking Beach Boys material, I have less enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:34:35 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »

LOVE is pretty bad, a bunh of songs on top of each other..I don't get it.

No point destroying Brian's melodies like that.

But if he wants to remix Wild Honey in Stereo, i'm for that.  Grin

Then you, Sir, have no imaginative or creative sensibility. I believe the surviving Beatles loved it.

Some of it was good, the Tommrow never knows mix with Within You Without You for instance, and a few other tracks.

But all in all, the CD wasint that great IMHO, now live in vegas at Cirque du Soleil that would of been great to see.

Maybe if they do a show with the BB tracks, i'd be for that...but just a CD, it's just not my thing...so sorry

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008, 01:47:24 PM »

Just for a bit of fun. I have a late 70s interview of Bruce Johnston comparing this Thunderclap Newman song with a famous Beach Boys song.

If you haven't heard the interview, any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGht71KFkY

For anyone interested.

'Wouldn't It Be Nice'

Robert W Morgan special of the week. 1978.

Just interesting how music can be interpreted in many ways by different people. Yeah I could listen to new mix. I don't think a update would damage the original anymore than this does.

http://www.progressiveart.com/max/mona_lisa_portraits.jpg
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »

I would've never thought they sounded like each other, but I definitely hear it now.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 06:45:41 PM »

No , I don't approve of a 'Love' style remix of PS.

The Beatles back catalogue is actually being remastered right now, but as mentioned earler no bonus tracks whatsoever will be issued.

Quite, Pet Sounds doesn't need messing around with, though a more contemporary (but not over-compressed) mastering job might be interesting.

We really don't need another reissue of Pet Sounds...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »

the Beach Boys kind of did this sort of thing years ago with those medleys they released.

That f*cking 45 was the only Beach Boys record my dad owned. To this day, I still expect to hear Help Me Rhonda segue out of Good Vibrations.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 12:57:49 AM »

the Beach Boys kind of did this sort of thing years ago with those medleys they released.

That friggin' 45 was the only Beach Boys record my dad owned. To this day, I still expect to hear Help Me Rhonda segue out of Good Vibrations.

You poor thing, you... if I were you I would sue my Dad Mike-Love style for a princely sum... for imposing mental damage onto you that won't go away for the rest of your life and will even retrogradely discolor all your memories from the time prior to being exposed to that record... so your whole life should be materially reimbursed to you.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 02:37:26 AM »

Love was superb, a chance to revisit familiar work in a fresh light.

So we don't necessarily need another Pet Sounds... do we? How many versions have each of us here got? I've got an original 66 release, four other vinyl copies, at least five or 6 CD issues, a couple of 5.1 issues, the box set, two SoT boxes of outtakes, and a mass of other booted session stuff.

I'll bet most of us here have a similar hoard; I don't think another would go amiss, especially one that allows us to revisit the same material from a fresh perspective.

That said, SMiLE would be a much more suitable candidate.

That said, that said, I don't think it'll happen at the hands of the Martins. Suspect that if it ever does happen, it'll be Darian Sahanaja and Mark Linnet, with a over by Mark London. And they're fresh interpretation might not really be fresh enough, as they're too close and too familiar with the original work.

Thinking about it, it might be better if Bruce Johnston did the remix, maybe  even a rerecording along the lines of Pipeline, Deirdre etc from Going Public. Class!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 02:56:04 AM »

Love was superb, a chance to revisit familiar work in a fresh light.

So we don't necessarily need another Pet Sounds... do we? How many versions have each of us here got? I've got an original 66 release, four other vinyl copies, at least five or 6 CD issues, a couple of 5.1 issues, the box set, two SoT boxes of outtakes, and a mass of other booted session stuff.

I'll bet most of us here have a similar hoard; I don't think another would go amiss, especially one that allows us to revisit the same material from a fresh perspective.

That said, SMiLE would be a much more suitable candidate.

That said, that said, I don't think it'll happen at the hands of the Martins. Suspect that if it ever does happen, it'll be Darian Sahanaja and Mark Linnet, with a over by Mark London. And they're fresh interpretation might not really be fresh enough, as they're too close and too familiar with the original work.

Thinking about it, it might be better if Bruce Johnston did the remix, maybe  even a rerecording along the lines of Pipeline, Deirdre etc from Going Public. Class!

Wot he said. I would call that effort: 'Hate'. I would.

carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 04:47:12 AM »

Yeah, a disco remake of "Wooo-woooo! Wooo-wooo! Wonderful" - that would be something  Evil
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 06:32:33 AM »

Yeah, a disco remake of "Wooo-woooo! Wooo-wooo! Wonderful" - that would be something  Evil

Thank you for robbing my sleep for the upcoming, oh, 1001 nights and more. Angry

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »

Oh, I think I can top that.  How about setting the entire PS album to rap beats and sub-bass, segueing all the songs together, and then having Snoop Dogg rapping rambling chants over the top of them.  Kinda like he did with the Doors' "Riders on the Storm" (check out YouTube).   LOL

Yes, I do realize I'm going straight to hell for even joking about this!  Evil
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2008, 12:15:11 AM »

Kinda like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6T8ot6m-mI

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 04:12:08 AM »

I think what happened is that Brian himself said he liked what George & Giles Martin did with Love and said in an interview he'd like them to do something similar with Pet Sounds and other BB material. I think the Martins were less enthusiastic becuase they're not intimately familiar with the BB tapes, whereas George knew everything there was to know about the Beatle's material which they worked on to produce Love.

But if Giles' comment is to be believed, Brian has actually approached him about a project.....which is interesting...

As for Love...I like it sometimes. I get the "mash up" concept and it does work. They even made it in 4 sections so it actually works as a double LP....which is better than the CD (I own both) because the listener's attention is drawn to turing over the disc every 20 minutes or so...rather than hit with 80 minutes of music non-stop.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2008, 01:50:36 PM »

If Brian wants to try a remix, why doesn't he just do it himself? Giles is hardly a spring chicken or intune with todays younger listener anymore than Brian assisted by members of his band would be.

edit.

He's 39. I may stand corrected. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:52:24 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2008, 10:47:38 AM »

I think the reason most BB fans dislike the Beatles 'Love' is because we have been ingrained to think that anything related to Love is bad. Smiley

Personally, I love this stuff! You don't have to buy it. Its not like some men in uniform are going to come to your house and take away the original albums and put them in a mixing machine.  You will still have your original albums, and so will I. But it is interesting to me, to see what can be done with music.

I think that if something were to be done like this for the BB, it should be Stephen Desper.

I got a kick out of 'Smells Like Sloop John B'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoMCjvMX_co

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »

...And how can people who spent decades creating their own Smile mixes complain about mash-ups?  :-)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx