gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:13:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: God only knows whether this will come to fruition...  (Read 11384 times)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »

I seem to remember a little while back that, after the success of The Beatles Love remixes, there was talk of Giles/George Martin being asked to do something like it with Smile, but I think he turned it down, which is probably just as well.

However, at a Beatles fan site I found the following (originally from The Times website):

What next for Giles Martin? “There’s a Brian Wilson project I’ve been asked to do,” he says. “I think God Only Knows is one of the best songs ever written, so I’m keen on that. At the moment I’m working on a Martin Scorsese music documentary. I’ve learnt almost everything I know from my dad, so I feel incredibly lucky.” He smiles. “Not that we sit around talking about the Beatles all the time. Mostly we just watch the snooker together.”

I wonder what he could be up to? Anyone heard anything else about this? He doesn't say he's working on GOK, just that he likes it, but it would would be interesting to get some new blood into the Beach Boys mix and would make a change from the dead hand of Mark Linnett.

BJ

http://beatle.wordpress.com/2008/10/03/all-together-now-with-a-little-help-from-dad%E2%80%99s-friends/#more-1548

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:20:33 AM »

Love is currently my favorite Beatles 'album'! That would be awesome if he did something like that for the Beach Boys!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 12:31:46 AM »

Bad luck, sons. Because I veto this plan here and now. It amounts to sacrilege. Not one mortal soul shall ever tarnish and blemish the works of the mighty Professor Brian Douglas Wilson by 'twiddling the knobs'.

NO!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 12:58:17 AM »

Can we get Giles Martin to remix TLOS?

I love LOVE and think it was a brilliant idea and well executed. Beatles have never sounded better on a format except the original vinyls.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 01:36:24 AM »

Is it true that the Beatles always vetoed re-mastering their back catalogue out of vanity? Like in: we are the only band in the world that does not need that kind of overhaul?
Just asking.

(BTW: my 'NO' remains that: a 'NO'; I do have principles... police)

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 01:38:50 AM »

No.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 01:51:07 AM »

No.

eh... to what question?

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 01:52:10 AM »

I don't like Love. The only thing I like from it is While My Guitar Gently Weeps, because that's one of the only songs that's not just a bunch of songs on top of each other.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 02:06:06 AM »

Is it true that the Beatles always vetoed re-mastering their back catalogue out of vanity? Like in: we are the only band in the world that does not need that kind of overhaul?
Just asking.

This may be an R&R urban myth, but I've read that there's a clause in The Beatles contract with EMI stipulating that the original studio albums will never be reissued in any other form than they were originally, which would of course explain the total and complete lack of bonus tracks on any of them. Evidently this clause postdated the Capitol hatchet job on the pre-Pepper releases.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 02:27:21 AM »

Just asking.

This may be an R&R urban myth, but I've read that there's a clause in The Beatles contract with EMI stipulating that the original studio albums will never be reissued in any other form than they were originally, which would of course explain the total and complete lack of bonus tracks on any of them. Evidently this clause postdated the Capitol hatchet job on the pre-Pepper releases.

As always, thanks Andrew. Seems to be a very rational answer to this question. What puzzles me however: suppose EMI would re-negotiate and re-issue everything in pristinely remastered format (perhaps without bonus material, to 'protect' history, as it were) - wouldn't there be a couple of billions to rake in for them (and Michael Jackson)?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 04:23:52 AM »

I think by original format,it means exactly as released, no bonus tracks. I doubt a good remastering job would infringe the stipulation although, as has been pointed out, the remix GM did on some could be seen so to do.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 06:27:56 AM »

I think by original format,it means exactly as released, no bonus tracks. I doubt a good remastering job would infringe the stipulation although, as has been pointed out, the remix GM did on some could be seen so to do.

I see your point. Perhaps it's more a philosphical point whether re-mastering would infringe previous obligations. Only two surviving members would be able to say OK to any, albeit ever so minute, change to the source material. On the other hand Lennon never lived to see the transition from LP to CD sound, and in theory could have said 'no', although that is taking things a bit to far I am afraid...

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 06:35:30 AM »

LOVE is pretty bad, a bunh of songs on top of each other..I don't get it.

No point destroying Brian's melodies like that.

But if he wants to remix Wild Honey in Stereo, i'm for that.  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 07:28:42 AM »

Um..., am I right that you are all for Giles Martin putting the likes of you in a blender?

Take two of the blue and three of the green pills and go to bed. Now.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 08:36:09 AM »

Just asking.

You know the thing about the Beatles remasters before Pepper is they're absolutely fine if you're listening on a  CD player without headphones. Once you put the headphones on, it's much less so, especially Rubber Soul which isn't a very good mix at all. One of the reasons that I don't listen to early Beatles in headphones and started buying Beatle LPs.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 09:43:50 AM »

No , I don't approve of a 'Love' style remix of PS.

The Beatles back catalogue is actually being remastered right now, but as mentioned earler no bonus tracks whatsoever will be issued.

I guess I've got a way with girls
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 10:00:29 AM »

Um..., am I right that you are all for Giles Martin putting the likes of you in a blender?

Take two of the blue and three of the green pills and go to bed. Now.

Holy f*ckballs that's funny.

would make a change from the dead hand of Mark Linnett.

...err?

Oh, and I'm all for it. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 10:01:22 AM by Buc-ee's » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 11:44:59 AM »

To the one you asked, directly above my answer.

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 11:47:04 AM »

Then you, Sir, have no imaginative or creative sensibility. I believe the surviving Beatles loved it.

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 11:53:51 AM »

The Beatles back catalogue is actually being remastered right now, but as mentioned earler no bonus tracks whatsoever will be issued.

Quite, Pet Sounds doesn't need messing around with, though a more contemporary (but not over-compressed) mastering job might be interesting.

I think, contrary to your insider information on the new Beatles issues, that there will be bonus tracks in some form or other. Everything I've read suggests re-mixes at the very least, and many bonus tracks have already been issued as part of the various Anthology series. I for one don't particularly appreciate bonus tracks on albums, though discs of extras are most welcome! When The Beatles catalogue finally gets reissued its likely to be on multiple discs per album, though will probably be after the tracks have been released on iTunes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:57:58 AM by brother john » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 03:20:08 PM »

Just for a bit of fun. I have a late 70s interview of Bruce Johnston comparing this Thunderclap Newman song with a famous Beach Boys song.

If you haven't heard the interview, any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGht71KFkY
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 03:33:58 PM »

Just for a bit of fun. I have a late 70s interview of Bruce Johnston comparing this Thunderclap Newman song with a famous Beach Boys song.

If you haven't heard the interview, any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGht71KFkY

Wind Chimes?? Busy Doin' Nothin?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 07:12:52 PM »

No sorry.

From memory he says 'Listen to (BB song) with Something In The Air and its (BB song)'

Its nothing obscure. I would say in their 20 best known songs.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:28:46 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »

Quite, Pet Sounds doesn't need messing around with, though a more contemporary (but not over-compressed) mastering job might be interesting.

I think, contrary to your insider information on the new Beatles issues, that there will be bonus tracks in some form or other. Everything I've read suggests re-mixes at the very least, and many bonus tracks have already been issued as part of the various Anthology series. I for one don't particularly appreciate bonus tracks on albums, though discs of extras are most welcome! When The Beatles catalogue finally gets reissued its likely to be on multiple discs per album, though will probably be after the tracks have been released on iTunes.

I am not a Beatles fan (this may surprise you) but I don't have nothing against them either. I don't own any album by them, save for the Lennon 'Rock 'n' Roll' effort (is more my Spector fandom). At any rate, the Beatles are better than Coldplay.
Now, I like the idea of the Beatles stuff being reissued. Why? Because it will prolong the life of the CD format for a couple of years. And that suits me just fine. Because I hate downloading. I hate having no booklet. I hate not having to bike to my favorite record shop. And I'd hate said shop eventually turning into a cell phone shop. That's why.

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 01:39:08 AM »

I, for one, REALLY like "Love".

Especially the "Strawberry Fields" version with splices of "Sgt. Pepper", "Penny Lane",  "Piggies",
and "Hello Goodbye" mixed seamlessly into the fade. Also the backwards "Sun King" vocals into
"Something", the intro into "Lady Madonna", etc.

I think that is overly reactionary to condemn any similar reconceptions of Brian's masterpieces as
somehow "sacreligious" or unacceptable. I'm sure George Martin and son could do some very ori-
ginal and creative reconfigurations of Pet Sounds or Smile, and I would be very interested to hear them. 3D

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx