gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:45:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: in defence of "somewhere near japan"  (Read 7938 times)
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2008, 04:02:53 PM »

i really like this song, i think it's an overlooked gem in the catalogue.
vocally the boys are sounding top, the lyrics are interesting and it's not the usual formula.
does anyone know what it's about?
there's a video on youtube where mike explains it, but i can't make out a word he's saying.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:05:36 PM by art rush » Logged
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 04:34:35 PM »

Others can embellish on this but the quick version is that John Phillips wrote the bulk of the song and it was about his daughter MacKenzie.  As you may or may not know she had a drug problem at the time (and was recently arrested on a cocaine charge I believe).  She married her drug dealer in '79 or '80 and honeymooned in the South Pacific.  When the money and drugs ran out she phoned home asking for help.  When asked where she was she replied something like..."somewhere near Japan".

Really. 

Undoubtedly I have something wrong in there but that's the story I've always heard.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »

There's no need to defend Somewhere Near Japan - it pretty much stands alone as the last quality Beach Boys recording (BW/Paley sessions material not withstanding).
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 06:34:43 PM »

I agree with what you say, Tony.  I wasn't trying to defend the song...it's great.  I was just explaining its rather off-the-wall origins.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 06:44:30 PM »

Love "Somewhere Near Japan". I  remember reading where some fans thought it should've/could've been represented on Side 4 of the boxed set. I agree.

DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 08:43:56 PM »

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Beach+Boys/+videos/+1-1LE3dpoTOvA

Hope this post works. Great song!!!!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:31:10 PM »

One of my favourite BB songs in terms of sheer listening fun. The production is also quite tasteful, considering it was the 80s, and it sitting on the same record as the thuddingly awkward (but just as fun) Make It Big.

When he wanted to, John Phillips had an excellent way with a tune.
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 06:25:01 AM »

Others can embellish on this but the quick version is that John Phillips wrote the bulk of the song and it was about his daughter MacKenzie.  As you may or may not know she had a drug problem at the time (and was recently arrested on a cocaine charge I believe).  She married her drug dealer in '79 or '80 and honeymooned in the South Pacific.  When the money and drugs ran out she phoned home asking for help.  When asked where she was she replied something like..."somewhere near Japan".

Really. 

Undoubtedly I have something wrong in there but that's the story I've always heard.

hey thanks! i've been curious about that for ages.
i always thought it was about world war II for some reason.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:33:02 AM »

Love "Somewhere Near Japan". I  remember reading where some fans thought it should've/could've been represented on Side 4 of the boxed set. I agree.

Absolutely. The last great song.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 04:53:17 PM »

Heard this song for the first time on VH1 today, strange to see Brian in the video.

Pretty nice song, and Carl sounds great on it.

Might just invest in the Still Cruisin' album afterall

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 09:58:11 PM »

The version in the video is not the mix on the album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 05:39:38 AM »

There's no need to defend Somewhere Near Japan - it pretty much stands alone as the last quality Beach Boys recording (BW/Paley sessions material not withstanding).

What about "Strange Things Happen"?
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 08:09:30 AM »

The version in the video is not the mix on the album.

7"/video mix vs. album version -- who wins?
i reckon album version. keeps a lot more of the colour.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 12:56:01 PM »

I read that and thought I don't know that song, so I did a search and found a clip of it and realised its on SIP - which I only heard once and vowed never, never, never to own.

So I listened and now I want that 3 min 18 sec of my life back! You owe me man! You owe me!

That was cruel!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »

I read that and thought I don't know that song, so I did a search and found a clip of it and realised its on SIP - which I only heard once and vowed never, never, never to own.

So I listened and now I want that 3 min 18 sec of my life back! You owe me man! You owe me!

That was cruel!

"Lahiana Aloha" (only because of Carl's vocal) and the oldies covers (except for "Surfin'" and Stamos' "Forever") are really the only somewhat tolerable songs on SIP.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 02:53:36 PM »

Somewhere Near Japan to me represents the last "new" song with that magic of vocals.  SIP has a few moments (short as they may be) but never gets that entire group magic. That tag sung by Al still sends chills down my spine every time I hear it
MBE
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 02:34:49 AM »

It is a great song. The 45 is not as good. It's somewhat tinny and a bit too glossy. The LP sounds natural. It's really one of the only post 1980 songs worth hearing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 10:12:31 AM »

That was cruel!

Aw, c'mon...it's not THAT bad!   Cheesy
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »

I love that song!  Smiley  The live versions are great too, it proves that Ed Carter was really, really top!

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »

That was cruel!

Aw, c'mon...it's not THAT bad!   Cheesy

It's not BAD, but it really doesn't do anything for me. Very bland power ballad in a Starship / Cetera style. The tune could have worked better with a less generic production, even Joe Thomas '98 would do. And Mike still had some voice left, he could do without all the echo and trickery added to it.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »

Strange Things Happen reminds me, lyrically, of Marcella, which is really weird.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 08:37:52 AM »

I think this is one of the few post-LA songs that doesn't need defending.

Know what you mean about the effects on Strange Things Happen - they're an annoying feature of so much of the last BB stuff.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 11:05:29 AM »

Agreed - the last worthwhile track the band recorded. No excuses required.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 11:37:27 AM »

I think this is one of the few post-LA songs that doesn't need defending.

Know what you mean about the effects on Strange Things Happen - they're an annoying feature of so much of the last BB stuff.

One of the most annoying things (not counting "Summer of Love", "Surfin'", or John Stamos) on SIP was the high pitched "remember" on "Remember (Walking In The Sand)".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 10:50:48 AM »

BB did a fine job playin Japan live also...Not quite as long as the record..Guitar solos shorter
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx