gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:00:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the Rutles- OUCH!  (Read 12341 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2006, 08:15:59 PM »

hey, i need help, can someone tell me what rutles songs are being referrenced in All you need is cash? is cant buy me lunch worth buying?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chris D.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:18:09 PM »

The comp. of the stuff from the first movie is fine.  Depends on how much you like the movie.  I think it wears thing pretty fast and the music is the obvious strong point.  I pull out the CD every now and then.  If you like it a lot more than me, it's probably worth your time.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 11:52:41 PM »

DON'T BUY All You Need Is Lunch. A horrid ripoff that almost made me dislike the classic original.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
dude ll doo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 06:42:21 AM »

The DVD of "All you need is Cash is" ...well.... all you need.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 09:17:38 AM »

so can anyone elaborate on what Rutles songs are being referred to? I know Get up and go is Get Back and I am the waitress is I am the Walrus...did anyone else read the track listing to Tragical History tour album?: -Fool on the Pill, Lying, Blue Bay Way, You mother should Go....good stuff...

my fav moments in the movie: Bob Dylan introduced them to a substance that would influence their writing.....TEA!
and Eric Idle on a boat saying: "here in Liverpool" then looks back and he's not in Liverpool at all.  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chris D.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 09:31:13 AM »

so can anyone elaborate on what Rutles songs are being referred to? I know Get up and go is Get Back and I am the waitress is I am the Walrus...did anyone else read the track listing to Tragical History tour album?: -Fool on the Pill, Lying, Blue Bay Way, You mother should Go....good stuff...

Well, I assume the Rutles songs mentioned are the ones being referred to.  Do you mean what are the Beatles songs each Rutles song is based on?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 09:50:10 AM »

exactly!  :D

~post of the century~
-Mikie

richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 10:03:58 AM »

my fav moments in the movie: Bob Dylan introduced them to a substance that would influence their writing.....TEA!
and Eric Idle on a boat saying: "here in Liverpool" then looks back and he's not in Liverpool at all.  Grin

Some are clearly based on one song, some reference a few beatle tunes.

Number one= Twist and Shout
Goose Step Mama- Some other Guy ( i reckon)
Hold My Hand- All My Loving with a bit of IWanna HYH lyrically
I must be in love- Hard Days night bongo's  Ticket to ride style intro a real mixture this one
With A girl Like you=If I Fell
Living In Hope- Don' Pass me by with a dash of What goes on
Ouch=Help
It's Looking good- I Don't wanna spoil the party/ I'm looking Through you...
Double BAck Alley=Penny Lane
Good Times Roll= Lucy In The Sky....
Nevertheless-Within You Without you/Love You To
Love Life- All you need is love
Piggy in the middle-I Am The Walrus
Another Day- Martha My Dear
Cheese And Onions-A Day In The Life
Get up and Go- Get BAck
Let's be natural- Dear Prudence

I'm sure there are bits of other songs in them too.
No way Neil Innes should have had to forfit his royalties to Northern  Songs though  Angry

Chris D.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »

I'll try this from memory:

"Goose-Step Mama" -- "I Saw Her Standing There"
"Number One" -- "Twist and Shout"
"Baby Let Me Be" -- (can't remember this song)
"Hold My Hand" -- "I Want to Hold Your Hand," "Please Please Me"
"Blue Suede Sherbert" -- (don't remember it)
"I Must Be In Love" -- "Ticket to Ride," maybe a little "Hard Day's Night" or "Eight Days..."
"With a Girl Like You" -- "If I Fell"
"Between Us" -- "I Love Her"?  Not quite as dark as that song, but...
"Living in Hope" -- "Act Naturally," "Don't Pass Me By"
"Ouch!" -- Guess!
"It's Looking Good" -- "I'm Down"
"Double Back Alley" -- "Penny Lane"
"Good Times Roll" -- I think this is an Indian tune, so "Inner Light," etc.
"Nevertheless" -- don't remember it
"Love Life" -- "All You Need is Love"
"Piggy in the Middle" -- "I Am the Walrus"
"Another Day" -- Probably some McCartney sh*t.
"Cheese and Onions" -- "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Across the Universe"
"Get Up and Go" -- "Get Back"
"Let's Be Natural" -- I think this is "Let it Be"

A, Rich, you just beat me.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 10:10:32 AM »

thank you very much! I actually dont dig the songs too wel, but I do like let's be Natural

~post of the century~
-Mikie

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 01:04:57 PM »

I played the Rutles for my daughter who had become a Beatles fan.  She recognized every musical joke almost immediately.  It all does wear thin pretty quick, as someone mentioned.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 08:50:58 AM »

DON'T BUY All You Need Is Lunch. A horrid ripoff that almost made me dislike the classic original.

I agree.

I was massively disappointed with the sequel.
jossainjoku
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 09:36:37 AM »

Hello,my first post here.Anyone interested in The Rutles should visit this page: http://downinthegroove.blogspot.com/
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 02:17:24 PM »

I love the  Ruttles... and  So  did  Geroge Harrison.. haha...

Ripp off mang  isnt that the point..

" Stop wastin my time you  know what I want, you know what I need..  Gimmie some money" same  idea is in not?

I dunno if they do serious sh*t or not....

suga
Chris D.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 02:42:41 PM »

Ripp off mang  isnt that the point..

They could have gone so much further.  There are so many other Beatles satires that are really deep, and when you think of even what the Monkees did to themselves with Head you just wonder why the Rutles thing isn't as good as it could be.  "Shabby Road"Huh
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 03:10:18 PM »

Man... I  is it the song content that bothers ya or what... cause I think the point is to be funny which they are  and there for they succeded........

xoxo
suga
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 03:12:33 PM »

It could have been so much funnier.

sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 03:13:42 PM »

yeah but thats like sayin spinal tap could have been funnier, which it probably could have as well but the suceeded in the enital point of makin folks laugh...

xoxo
suga
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 03:14:39 PM »

Good, but not good enough for me. Which is all that matters to me.

Chris D.
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 03:36:27 PM »

Man... I  is it the song content that bothers ya or what... cause I think the point is to be funny which they are  and there for they succeded........

Actually, the songs are about the only part I like anymore.  There are other good parts or gags, but not many.  The songs work because they're decent tunes -- especially since so many are lifted directly.  But the film suffers from poor pacing, poor ordering, and not taking apart the Beatles myth as much as they could.  The cover to Meet the Residents does more than that entire film.

I don't think they were that funny.  Like I was saying: "Shabby Road."  That's a joke?  An eight year old would say that to make fun of the album.  Once you've absorbed the movie you realize it's mostly a punch of lame puns that really have nothing to do with the Beatles.  Every now and then they hit the right now, like when one of the Rutles sues himself.  That was hilarious.  But those moments are too few.

It could have been so much funnier.

Exactly.  And you could say that about a lot, but the Beatles are a huge subject.  It seems like it would be hard to f*** up unless you're not really that talented to begin with.  Their history gives you so much to work with.

yeah but thats like sayin spinal tap could have been funnier

Oh Christ, yes.  It's better than the Rutles, but I barely laugh at that one too.  I think part of the problem is that the characters are undeniably caricatures.  They'd work great as sketch characters, even in multiple sketches, but trying to do a whole movie doesn't work that well.  You don't care enough to follow them, and after a while the great gags are too few and far between.  And I don't deny that there are great gags in there ("...It goes to 11."), but you get the impression that those two movies originate because the writer(s) came up with a few gags and was thought they could do a whole film based on them.  With Spinal Tap you can at least argue that a lot of its audience is professional musicians.  I might relate more and laugh more if I was familiar with that lifestyle from personal experience.  But the Rutles' audience is Beatles fans, and it seems to me they would be let down the most.  The more you know, the more you see what's missing.
Evenreven
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 04:22:15 AM »

I kinda agree. Except I like lame puns. But I guess I have to acknowledge that they're lame.

A great parody band to me is Stillwater, from Almost Famous. They're Spinal Tap, without easy jokes, in a way.
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 08:35:50 AM »

I dunno, I didn't think of Stillwater as a parody but more of a genuine referential thing. Crowe was gonna have the band be English but he realized that would have been way Tap-esque. I think if Crowe could have reasonably had the band be Zeppelin he would have.
Chris D.
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 09:25:01 AM »

I kinda agree. Except I like lame puns. But I guess I have to acknowledge that they're lame.

A great parody band to me is Stillwater, from Almost Famous. They're Spinal Tap, without easy jokes, in a way.

Lame puns can be funny, but the Rutles thing seems to focus on them too much.  That was all I meant.  I can't really knock lame puns, I like Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Evenreven
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 09:28:36 AM »

I dunno, I didn't think of Stillwater as a parody but more of a genuine referential thing. Crowe was gonna have the band be English but he realized that would have been way Tap-esque. I think if Crowe could have reasonably had the band be Zeppelin he would have.
Yeah, I know, "parody" was pushing the term a bit, I guess. But still, they have a song called "Fever Dog".  Grin
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 10:09:02 AM »

It's just as Allmans as Zep in a way.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx