gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:54:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "obscure" songs in modern BB setlists  (Read 12309 times)
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 08:07:34 AM »

Hm, requests...

We'll Run Away
The Trader
Deirdre
and something from Denny's solo career... besides River Song, none of that has ever been played live by any Beach Boy to my knowledge

i second alll of these ^^
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »

Any requests?

Scott

Hey Scott!  Good to see you here!  I'm still going to stick with "Keepin The Summer Alive" as my request!  Also I didn't know that "Papa Oom Mow Mow" was done recently...I'd love to hear that!  I never got to hear Christian do "Feel Flows"...I'd really enjoy that too!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 02:10:15 PM »

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome to the board,  and for the great suggestions!  We actualy did work up Friends last year but it never made it into a show.  And Caroline No sung by yours truly but we ran into curfew problems in the UK.

Tpesky will be gald to know that we are rehearsing This Whole World!

Scott

We should give Scott his own thread here, just like Mark Linett, Jon Stebbins, Steve Desper, etc. have.

PS. I know I've had my fair share of Anti-Mike Love comments on this board, and will probably continue to do so...just ignore those rants. I may complain about how "so and so song" is never performed, but the truth is, the majority of the people who pay to see the shows are going to want to hear mostly the hits, and none of my complaining will change that. So Scott, if you ever see me complaining about you guys and your shows, just ignore my rants. My opinions on the matter are very inconsequential...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Scott
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 02:32:15 PM »

[/quote]

We should give Scott his own thread here, just like Mark Linett, Jon Stebbins, Steve Desper, etc. have.

PS. I know I've had my fair share of Anti-Mike Love comments on this board, and will probably continue to do so...just ignore those rants. I may complain about how "so and so song" is never performed, but the truth is, the majority of the people who pay to see the shows are going to want to hear mostly the hits, and none of my complaining will change that. So Scott, if you ever see me complaining about you guys and your shows, just ignore my rants. My opinions on the matter are very inconsequential...

[/quote]

Oh God please don't give me a thread!!!! 

ascrodin, I'll be watching you from now on!  But seriously, feel free to post your thoughts pro or con, that's what the board is all about right?  I will say that you are right about what the majority of people want to hear.  Too often people head for the bathroom during "Betsy", but I try not to take it personally.

Scott
PS nice Dr. Evil impression.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 02:51:24 PM »

Excellent news on This Whole World Such a great ypbeat song, I think it would be perfect for your sound. Maybe a Christmas show in New England..which I always enjoy!!   Don't take Betsy too personally...great song. Also would love Caroline No by you at some point. Keep up the great work!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 03:38:44 PM »

[/quote]

ascrodin, I'll be watching you from now on!  But seriously, feel free to post your thoughts pro or con, that's what the board is all about right?  I will say that you are right about what the majority of people want to hear.  Too often people head for the bathroom during "Betsy", but I try not to take it personally.

Scott
PS nice Dr. Evil impression.
[/quote]

"She was born in '32, and was she ever pretty. She took a freight train west, all the way from Detroit city...Betsy was a lady and that she will remain...She may be rusted iron, but to me she's solid gold...'cause Betsy's growing oooooold!" I love that song!

My ideal Beach Boys setlist would probably send the casual fans heading for the hills. When most people think of the Beach Boys, they think "Surfin' USA" or "Fun Fun Fun' or "I Get Around" rather than "Feel Flows", "Surf's Up", or "A Day In The Life of a Tree".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

49ersphil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »

Scott

I love "Old Betsy".
A true curio.

Leave it in!

Close your eyes and lean back and listen to wind chimes
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 05:27:58 PM »

I've loved "Betsy" since I heard it, at about 12 years old.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 07:13:14 PM »

one of the beach boys registered just to post in my thread! i'm honoured.

(cough)...spilled my coffee! Wink
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 10:20:53 PM »

hey here's a request
"I Live for the Sun"
that would go crazy! Grin
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 12:06:54 AM »

Have the BBs ever done these songs live?
-Luau
-Chug a lug
-Coocoo Clock
-Your Summer Dreams
-Custom Machine
-Amusement Parks
-Mt Vernon and Fairway (just kidding-although that would be awesome!)

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 03:09:00 AM »

don't worry, we won't.... but watch out, we might turn you into an honoured guest...   Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 05:17:43 AM »

What about Lonely Sea?
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 12:30:44 PM »

"Bull Session".  Grin

Would be cool if the boys would do every album once on a special tour. I am dreaming.  Wink

My reqests are:
Somewhere Near Japan
Goin' On and
Keepin' The Summer Alive.

Why do Bruce and Dennis solo stuff? They had enough good Beach Boys songs like Tears In The Morning, All I Want To Do and Slip On Through. But it would be really nice to see some 70ies stuff too.

Anyway, welcome Scott! Love your guitar playing, really cool.  Cool Guy  Hope you are coming to Austria soon and bring back Getcha Back, Good Timin' and Still Cruisin' into the list.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2008, 05:52:34 AM »

good call on "Amusement Parks U.S.A." ^^ that would be awesome.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2008, 12:39:55 PM »

Here's another one - Be Here in the Morning. That would be amazing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2008, 12:49:21 PM »

How 'bout "Cabin Essence"?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2008, 05:00:09 PM »

it'd be interesting to hear Be here in the Morning (one for Murry's bass vocals!) and the other...that effect that's on Brian's voice (through the amp or something)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2008, 05:03:06 PM »

Al sings lead on Be Here in the Morning, not Brian. Though I guess someone like Randell Kirsch would be singing it live.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2008, 11:27:12 AM »

"I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" Smiley

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2008, 03:32:31 PM »

"The Trader"

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2008, 05:08:22 PM »

I think that a good rockin version of "Heroes & Villains" a la 1973's "In Concert" would be great! 
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2008, 10:17:42 PM »

Any requests?

Scott

Hey Scott -- any chance of working up "Pacific Ocean Blues"?  Great way of acknowledging Dennis without straying too far from the general Beach Boys topics -- plus, Mike's environmental lyrics are still pretty sharp even now.  And of course it's funky as all hell...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:19:17 PM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 07:17:43 AM »

Any requests?

Scott

Any chance we could see some Wild Honey songs in the future Scott like Country Air, Aren't you Glad, etc...?
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »

Hey Scott ive seen the band half dozen times  or more since 99 + the latest band i saw in Alhambra this year was REALLY Good..!! you guys played a number of rare songs that ive never seen live before..Also you totally NAILED Betsy..Highlight of show for me..~ And yes you should have your own thread..
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx