gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680879 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:04:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A World of Peace Must Come: opinions?  (Read 4629 times)
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:03:31 PM »

3D 
 Have we gotten, you know, world peace? Has everybody learned "How To Speak Hip"?

Just thought I would solicit some reactions 'cause I haven't had a lot of disposable income to
buy it yet and wanted to see just how "interesting" (only interesting?) people find it to be
and whether it warrants a higher level of motivation in order to get it RIGHT NOW.

Liner notes by A.B. must be good. Concept cool. Music?

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 11:03:25 AM »

All I know is the two Steve Kalinich things I've experienced -- a tape of "America, I Know You" from the album and watching a video of him reciting a poem at the Denny bash -- scared the crap out of me.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:31:52 PM »

Tried to buy this in Leeds in the UK yesterday and was told the release date is now Oct 6.  Been here before...

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 01:28:23 PM »

If you're expecting anything even vaguely comparable to the kind of thing Brian was producing with The BB, The Honeys or anyone else in 1969, this may well not be the album for you. But, if you're of an open mind and receptive to rough period charm and semi-improvised poetry, then this might ring your bell.

BTW, the promo material would have it that this was all recorded in one evening at Brian's house in 1969. Complete tosh, of course - the first track recorded was "America, I Know You", at Wally Heider's, after which Brian elected to make it more of a home recording project, and did exactly that over the ensuing months. The version of "Leaves Of Grass" included as a bonus track isn't the Carl-produced single, but rather an earlier demo.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 11:45:16 PM »

Thanks for your input, Andrew.

Naturally, I don't expect a lushly produced, polished, typically B.B.-sounding album. I was just
wondering if the concept really gels and the melodies and poetry are relatively compelling. It's
obviously of some inherent interest, if only as a period piece. If, as reported, "Lonely Man" is
(or was at least at the moment that one particular interview was being done) one of Brian's
favorite songs, that alone recommends it.

If it has any of the atmosphere of "Little Bird" and "Be Still" that would be a good thing. I had heard
that some or most of the vocals were done by someone with an off-putting voice. It sounds like the
musical element is almost nonexistent, or at least very secondary to the spoken word poetry.

I think I will make an effort to get it as soon as possible, based on everything that's been said so far. Razz

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
hapman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 07:10:06 AM »

"Be Still" is available as a free mp3 on Light in the Attic's website - until the 6th this will do for us Europeans..

http://www.lightintheattic.net/releases/sjk/be_still.mp3
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »

Is the tape hiss on the "Be Still" mp3 like that throughout the whole album? Regardless of the hiss, I like the poem. I think I may eventually buy this album.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »

All I know is the two Steve Kalinich things I've experienced -- a tape of "America, I Know You" from the album and watching a video of him reciting a poem at the Denny bash -- scared the crap out of me.

I was at the Denny Bash when Stevie recited.  While i can see where a tape of that event might not carry the full impact, make no mistake about it: The live performance was very powerful and moving. 

I have had one listen to AWOPMC so far, and i am very intrigued!  It's a matter of finding time, but i WILL find time for a more thorough listen; review to follow.  It is definitely a period piece, and definitely all about Stevie...and definitely worth having.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 01:16:25 PM »

I've only listened to it once, I should listen again, haven't gotten around to it. Was interesting. Strange. Very lo-fi. Manson-family-esque vibe. Definitely a time warp expierence. Worthwhile purchase.
Goin’Bald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »

I received the CD this week and have listened to it once. But I think I will listen to it a couple of times more to get it all. I like the package a lot, it has a lot of information, it shows the words and above all....I think it's a vital part of The Beach Boys' history. You can listen to the whole of Be Still for the first time. Not earth shaking.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 09:06:52 AM »

Well, it's certainly interesting to hear BW still trying out experimental stuff beyond SMiLE. 
Great to hear him ask Kalinich if Be Still was a cut on the Friends album! Ah, Brian...
The problem for me is less the 'lyrics' (kind of earnest 6th form/undergrad stuff) and more the reading of them!
There are a couple of quasi-medieval sounding cuts that bring to mind Woody Allen as the Jester in Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 09:09:08 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 07:11:55 AM »

I got it in the post yesterday, and frankly its a car crash. How it ever got issued is a mystery. The poems are clichéd, the backing - what little of it there is - is half-hearted and idiotic, and Kalinich sounds like he's doing a turn in a special needs show.

Strictly for completists.

However, the thing SJK did with Paul Steel for the ESQ journal (I think I got that right...) called Ocean is great!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx