gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:16:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Little Bird" meets "Plastic Ono Band" (MP3 with Vocal Added)  (Read 8728 times)
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2006, 07:00:33 PM »

This is my version of "Little Bird", with vocals, though I am not done with it yet.  I might submit this for Vol. 2 instead of "Slip On Through".  I don't know, we'll see.  On the main vocal track during the bridge, my cell phone went off, but I decided to leave it in.  Or maybe I'll decide NOT to leave it in, we'll see!!!

I've added some more stuff to it.  It is still in FLAC, but now has vocals on the end, and a little surprise at the end...

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=19JL7XDFAL2D02EJ16PJU8AGNI

« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 01:39:52 PM by idigworms » Logged
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 12:17:54 PM »

I love it.

Such a great song.

Could be played in any style and still sound great.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 07:49:15 PM »

Exactly.  I wanted to use the early Lennon sound for a BB cover, and "Little Bird" just falls right into place.  Like you said, it's a good song.
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 05:38:57 PM »

Finish it...sounds good...Lennon meets Wilson! I Found Out!

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 07:38:48 PM »

Exactly.  "I Found Out", "Well Well Well", even --- dare I say it, in reference to "Little Bird"? --- "Cold Turkey".
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 07:33:30 PM »

I've added the newest version of this, with some vocals, on the first post of this thread.  I am needing your help on what to add to this track!
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 05:03:18 PM »

Great stuff!!! I really like it better than "Slip on Through" cuz your are being more creative I think in your interpretation...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 05:11:35 AM »

Great stuff!!! I really like it better than "Slip on Through" cuz your are being more creative I think in your interpretation...

Thanks, wind chime.  I know what you mean.  It was started with just the intro guitar riff over a drum loop...then I got the idea to do "Little Bird" in that style.  Still need to add vocals to the end...probably a bit of Primal Scream?  Now that would be TOUGH!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 12:12:06 PM »

I really dig this, the sound you got going (with the 'verb), the energy and main vocal presence. I really dig the original but your take of it is class. You should add some harmonies behind the lead vocal to give it more of the BB feel ontop of the Plastic Band feel...if you need a falsetto, let me know Wink

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 06:35:03 PM »

I really dig this, the sound you got going (with the 'verb), the energy and main vocal presence. I really dig the original but your take of it is class. You should add some harmonies behind the lead vocal to give it more of the BB feel ontop of the Plastic Band feel...if you need a falsetto, let me know Wink

Definitely; I would love for you to add vocals to this.  How would you wanna do it?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 07:51:07 PM »

Send me an mp3 of the latest version, Ill import the .wav file into Cubase and record tracks over it...Ill send you the individual tracks in a .zip file and you can add it in there.

How does that sound?

Im sick right now tho, but I think I can get somethin down soon.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 05:42:04 AM »

The mp3 I posted most recently at the top of this thread is the newest version.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 07:24:21 PM »

I posted this at the top: a new FLAC version, with acous. guitar: http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3U7Y96IIG5N7V3EM8U7PB00OPE
wonderphil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 09:56:13 PM »

Sounds great...

[Cue Regis voice] Is this your final version...?

BP
20to20
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 11:36:33 AM »

Sounds great...

[Cue Regis voice] Is this your final version...?

BP
20to20

Hmm....I'd like to Phone A Friend!  Wink, wink.  Seriously, If I don't get you a different one by April 1st...use this current one.
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 06:29:16 PM »

Great sound. This is the sound I fell in love with when I was 13..and heard Lennon's 1st album. How did you get this sound? Talk technical, please...Thanks

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 08:03:53 PM »

Great sound. This is the sound I fell in love with when I was 13..and heard Lennon's 1st album. How did you get this sound? Talk technical, please...Thanks

I will try my best to explain what I remember doing.

I was planning on submitting "Slip On Through" for my contribution to Vol. 2, while still recording and experimenting when I had the time.

I just happened to be messing around with some drum loops I had downloaded, when I slowed down one particular loop, then added a 120 millisecond delay to get a "slapback" sound.  The sound of it instantly reminded me of that stark, echoey Lennon sound.

So I hooked up my Deluxe Fender Stratocaster (my new favorite guitar, besides my 12-string electric) through my Boss GT6 (pretty good pedalboard processor for the money) and started messing around with tones, and happened to make one using a patch called "Twin Clean" (meant to sound like a Fender Twin Reverb) with a little distortion and chorus (later, I added one that had a tremelo effect) and the 120 ms delay, and played the opening riff, just to play something.

It was only after playing that riff that I figured it would be cool to make a whole song out of that motif.  Then I thought of doing a BB song...instantly, I thought of "Little Bird", via Plastic Ono Band.

So I played all of main electric guitar stuff (including some feedback stuff - there is an effect on the Boss unit called a "Feedbacker", so I decided I would try it out!)  Later I added bass (same delay effect), then some keyboard stuff (piano, organ, cello.)

I then thought I could try a lead slide guitar a la George Harrison (except, I am not George Harrison, obviously, so I'm not a slide guitarist by trade.)  I tried to find something that would work as a slide.  I just happened to have my digital camera batteries handy, so I grabbed one and laid down the solo in one or two takes.  To me, it sounds strictly okay, kind of shrill though.

Later I added the acoustic guitar (jumbo acoustic, similar in style to a Gibson J-200) in one take, just to see if it would work with the electric.

I guess I am emphasizing that, pretty much, everything was done in one, two, three takes at most, just to get the song done as fast as possible.  Another thing: NO REVERB, just the delay effect, even on the lead vocals.  By the way, I should add that I was trying to go for Lennon in my voice, but it's painfully obvious I am not that good a singer.  Though, the harmony part on the bridge worked out better than I expected: I decided to build it twice as fast as the original, so it gives kind of a neat effect to that part of the song, coupled with the feedback.

I think that's about it.

(I should also add that this was recorded 'in my room'.)
BarryDavidThomson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 03:48:40 AM »

This is fantasitic. Ive only just gotten round to listening, and I love it!

Its so laid back, and it has so much charactor. I think your vocals are amazing, and I love the lennonesque production of the whole thing, especially the echo on the vocals, nice touch! The guitar work is superb. The only thing I could critisise is the volume of the saxophone in the mix, its pretty loud like, and mabey a bit of reverb on it to settle it in to the song a bit more. Appart from that, your spot on!

This is really good stuff mate, Im gonna go listen to it again Grin

Cheers for posting this for us
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 04:34:25 AM »

This sounds great, really nice arrangement apart from the sax which is really loud and does not fit IMO

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 01:41:36 PM »

Check out the latest version now at the top of the thread.  I tried some vocal stuff at the end, and after that is a neat little surprise...if you guys like it or hate it, let me know.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 07:24:37 PM »

Listening to it after posting it...my voice breaks a lot, eek, like a 12 year old!  I'm not sure if I like it.   Huh
wonderphil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 08:56:03 PM »

I'm listening to the new flac file
(finalquestionmark) and I love the vibe...

It seems that those screams at the
end may be a bit too harshly distorted...

I'm using just my s h i t t y PC speaks,
so that could be part of the problem...

But maybe you could redo those
endvox with a touch less break-up...

BP
20to20
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2006, 05:00:24 AM »

I'm listening to the new flac file
(finalquestionmark) and I love the vibe...

It seems that those screams at the
end may be a bit too harshly distorted...

I'm using just my s h i t t y PC speaks,
so that could be part of the problem...

But maybe you could redo those
endvox with a touch less break-up...

BP
20to20

My voice is shot after that...what if I mixed it lower?
wonderphil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2006, 11:52:16 AM »

Worth a try...

When I get that .flac, I'll convert to a .wav
and listen to it on my main monitors... Wink

BP
20to20
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx