gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:34:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Sunflower
5 - 155 (73.8%)
4 - 45 (21.4%)
3 - 8 (3.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 193

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower  (Read 173156 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2006, 09:55:06 AM »

Thanks Jeff!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2006, 01:06:28 PM »

How anyone can bash Add Some Music and It's About Time and praise Solar System is beyond me.  If you like one, you should like the other.  Lyrics are peer.

Normally I don't say things like this, but since I'm under all-out attack the past screen or two...

That statement is just wrong. It's stupid. To say that I should like one song's lyrics because I like another's makes no sense, especially in the three examples you list. I DO like Solar System because it's funny. I don't like It's About Time (by the way, I listened to Sunflower a few more times today at work, so it is fresher in my mind) because it's a stupid story. The music rocks--no question. Carl sings well--no question. But that doesn't mean I HAVE to like it. I fvcking hate it. What's the difference to you? I think the "story" absolutely ruins it. I can't listen to it.  I would rather--BY FAR--listen to Brian's silly, nonsensical lyrics, whether they're intentionally funny or the product of him just being out of it, than listen to pseudo-serious, pretentious ones.*

Add Some Music, although I don't recall saying anything one way or the other (not to say that I didn't), I am ambivalent about. It has a great vocal arrangement. Its lyrics are stupid, but more harmless, to these ears.

But really, Jeff--"if you like one, you should like the other." That's just wrong.

*Speaking of having listened earlier, I am OK with some of the lyrics. The later ones, when he sings something about how we need to love one another, etc., and it seems a bit more general, are fine. I don't particularly like them, but neither am I willing to go on record against them the way I am with the earlier ones in the song.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2006, 01:18:22 PM »

I never said you were wrong or dumb for your opinions.  Read me carefully -- it is "beyond me" -- I don't get it.

And I wasn't saying that if you like one you must like another.  But the reasons you give for hating one could be applied by people hating the other, is my point.  You say that the lyrics for IAT are stupid.  Fair enough.  But a LY hater would use the same rationale to torpedo Solar System or Johnny Carson, that's my point. Again, you are free to your opinion, and I am free to look at you very strangely, shake my head, and say,"I don't get it."  In my mind, all of those songs are on the same level in terms of lyrics.

Remember -- most people around here subscribe to the phrase "IMO".  We just argue our opinions strenuously, especially those of us who place Sunflower in their personal top 3 albums of all time.

"Should" = "I would think in a real setting this would be the case" ; not = "it is a moral imperative that you like this"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2006, 01:27:21 PM »

I didn't say you were dumb, Jeff. But I did say you're wrong, and I do think you are. The second sentence I quoted is wrong. The first one wasn't my issue.

Anyway, here's where I realize that I've said my opinion, it's unpopular and will be argued against, and so I have nothing else to add, really. Then we get to the point where Ian or somebody says that's quitting and I'm admitting I'm wrong or something. Then I say it doesn't matter, it's just pop, and then I catch hell for that, too. This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because

Wink

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2006, 02:28:15 PM »

You just sound p**sed and angry and that was not my intent.  I expanded upon my meaning in my last post, though, on the sentence you disliked:  "If you hate the one song, I would think that you would hate the other -- I know I would."  That was more my point.  "Should" being probably the wrong word.  I know that I would raise objections to Solar System before I would the Sunflower tracks.   But that's me.  I can argue that as my opinion, and I can say that I think I am right and thatit is a valid one you should consider, but I can't say you are stupid for not agreeing with me.  But I do not want to offend either.  I just assume that the arguments get intense around here because we all like it.  If you don't I am sorry.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2006, 03:15:04 PM »

I always sound pissed, or so it seems.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2006, 04:33:43 PM »

Beach Boys songs have lyrics?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2006, 04:35:32 PM »

That's what Mike Love tells me.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2006, 04:50:45 PM »

Seriously, even after millions of listens, I still forget the lyrics to most songs, including "Stoked".  Lyrics just don't register on a deep level.

I'm glad about that, too.

I skipped Got to Know the Woman without even listening for more than 20 seconds, because it seemed so typical.  Then, for some reason, I decided to listen to the whole thing, and I'm glad I did, because the "choruses" are really interesting and cool.  It doesn't fit with the "bar-room romp" feel of the rest of the song, which I like, and the womens voices bathed in reverb and Mike's ridiculous-as-usual bass mutterings are typically brilliantly silly.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2006, 04:53:47 PM »

There are songs where the lyrics mean far more to me than the music; others are about equal; others the opposite. And I like (or hate) different lyrics for so many reasons, it is impossible for me to explain how or why. I don't much worry about it: if someone has the time and energy to analyze why I feel or think the way I do about them, they're more than welcome. But I try not to get too worked up about the reasoning behind my tastes.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2006, 05:35:57 PM »

Seriously, even after millions of listens, I still forget the lyrics to most songs, including "Stoked".  Lyrics just don't register on a deep level.

You and me both.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2006, 06:47:18 PM »

But... Stoked has one a one word lyric.  And you just said it.  Perhaps that was your humorous intent... If so, hehe Smiley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2006, 09:23:14 AM »

My intent is never humourous.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2006, 10:49:57 AM »

Your avatar makes it seem that you are here for funny business. Get a picture of a car crash or something.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Chris D.
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2006, 10:55:28 AM »

enviro-trash

Is that even possible?

Ian -- what the f***?  A thread with people kicking other's nuts, and you and I took so much heat not too long ago over what?  Here's my input: BALLS BALLS BALLS.

Matinee, do you honestly talk like this in person?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2006, 11:11:51 AM »

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2006, 11:20:16 AM »

OK children.  Can we please knock off the attacking of Luther and get back to discussing Sunflower?

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2006, 11:21:58 AM »

That's what we've been doing the whole time, knothead.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2006, 11:25:37 AM »

One day I had Sunflower on and I fell asleep during "At My Window". I woke up during the verse to Cool Cool Water and it was just amazing. I guess I wasn't fully woken but I was aware of what sound was entering my ears and I could interpret it. It all made sense then for that one track.

I've never enjoyed that song as much as in that state, that once.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2006, 11:26:40 AM »

It really is a shame that this album didn't get any love when it came out.  I don't think that the critics who called it "the true follow-up to Pet Sounds" were too far off.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2006, 11:31:53 AM »

I'm sure that a few good reviews cropped up here and there. The guy who complimented it for having a much crisper stereo sound than Abbey Road was with it. Though that was more a compliment to Steve Desper than the actual music from the guys.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2006, 12:04:13 PM »

Rolling Stone gave it a rave review, as they did with 20/20 and Surf's Up.

analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2006, 12:10:27 PM »

I more meant love from the general music-buying public, not critics.  I know Sunflower got generally positive reviews in the music press.  As a matter of fact, it may have been Roling Stone that called it the true followup to Pet Sounds.  I guess the Beach Boys just weren't cool in 1970.  *shrug*

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2006, 02:59:21 AM »

One day I had Sunflower on and I fell asleep during "At My Window". I woke up during the verse to Cool Cool Water and it was just amazing. I guess I wasn't fully woken but I was aware of what sound was entering my ears and I could interpret it. It all made sense then for that one track.

I've never enjoyed that song as much as in that state, that once.

Damn man, exact same thing here...  I woke up during the haunting, Smile-era part... lying awake in bed at night, hearing that... the heavens opened Wink

Onya mate, perfect.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2006, 07:03:23 AM »

OK children.  Can we please knock off the attacking of Luther and get back to discussing Sunflower?

Were the posts before this one attacking me? If so I didn't notice. Oh, and if so, fvck anyone who was doing it.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx