gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:45:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Sunflower
5 - 155 (73.8%)
4 - 45 (21.4%)
3 - 8 (3.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 193

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower  (Read 168880 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 01, 2009, 08:26:52 AM »

And yes Luther, the quoting went hay-wire there. I GET IT.

Technically, I doubt it went haywire. You just made a mistake.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 01, 2009, 08:29:45 AM »

I do think Lady is mediocre, though, if on the good end of mediocre. It's better than some of his material on Sunflower, though. That album, in my perfect world, should have included it, as well as Good Time (remarkable that they left that off, it's in the upper half when compared to the songs on that current album), Take a Load Off Your Feet, Breakaway (yeah, so it was a single ... so what. Put it on the album, too), and Loop de Loop and if they had finished it, Soulful Old Man Sunshine.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 01, 2009, 10:00:38 PM »

Sunflower as a double-album:
                   Side 1
1.San Miguel
2.Deirdre
3.All I Wanna Do
4.Break Away
5.Loop de Loop
6.Slip On Through
                  Side 2
7.Cotton Fields
8.When Girls Get Together
9.Good Time
10.Take A Load Off Your Feet
11.I Just Got My Pay
12.Add Some Music To Your Day
                 Side 3
13.This Whole World
14.Soulful Old Man Sunshine
15.Tears In The Morning
16.Games Two Can Play
17.At My Window
18.Celebrate The News
                 Side 4
19.Back Home
20.Fallin' In Love
21.Our Sweet Love
22.Forever
23.Susie Cincinnati
24.Cool, Cool Water

A discipline daddy.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2009, 04:31:05 AM »

My ideas were a bit rushed originally, i prefer crinkleman's to my own in most regards. I Just Got My Pay is one of my favorites, just don't ask why, I really couldn't tell you. At My Window ... it was a mistake to include it twice, but thinking about it, an instrumental reprise would be nice to hear. As for being a monster, I guess there's a bit of truth in that. Rar!

Just an additional thought: one of the criticisms of the released Sunflower is lack of a theme. I guess increasing the number of "pom-pom-pom" numbers would let a theme emerge, of a "Music Hall" Beach Boys. Bear with me. A tragi-comic night at the Peoples Musical Theatre. Sunflower extended.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 04:38:47 AM by carl r » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 03, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »

Everyone needs to take three steps back, count to ten, and relax.

Relax, don't do it, when you want to go to it...

OMG, a Frankie reference on Smiley SMiLE!! Fodaing awesome...way to go, Alex...  Rock!

Well, I did recently go to a FGTH concert at the Pleasuredome!! LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 03, 2009, 12:00:15 AM »

i really don't get the hate for the bruce songs that some people seem to have. the only two songs on the album that are definitely better than them are "forever" and "cool cool water," and maybe "all i wanna do"...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 03, 2009, 09:26:56 AM »

Considering I rank This Whole World among my favorite 5-10 BBs songs, I'd certainly rank it above Bruce's Sunflower songs (not to mention above Forever--by about a factor of a hundred--and Cool Cool Water).

sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 03, 2009, 10:24:48 AM »

Considering I rank This Whole World among my favorite 5-10 BBs songs, I'd certainly rank it above Bruce's Sunflower songs (not to mention above Forever--by about a factor of a hundred--and Cool Cool Water).

the a capella "Forever" on Hawthorne is my 2nd favorite Beach Boys song, after "God Only Knows." it is scripture.

"This Whole World" is great, though.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 03, 2009, 06:32:07 PM »

the a capella "Forever" on Hawthorne is my 2nd favorite Beach Boys song, after "God Only Knows." it is scripture.

Fair enough. But file me under "heretic," then.  Wink

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2010, 10:39:14 PM »

Unlike most, I actually love "Add Some Music Too Your Day". It's able to penetrate past the part of my brain that would normally notice how corny the lyrics are and directly bury itself in the overgrown child part of me.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2010, 08:45:03 PM »

Unlike most, I actually love "Add Some Music Too Your Day". It's able to penetrate past the part of my brain that would normally notice how corny the lyrics are and directly bury itself in the overgrown child part of me.

Indeed, the lyrics are corny. However, they're also very true. Great lyrics because they speak the truth and don't care whether it's "hip" or not.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »

5. Great album. A little bit of sugar from Bruce, but not horrible. The rest is great.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2010, 10:18:06 AM »

If I were making up this album, I'd replace "Got to Know the Woman" with "Sail Plane Song", "Tears in the Morning" with "Soulful Old Man Sunshine", and "At My Window" with Bruce Johnston's version of "I Write The Songs". Yeah, I know the song hadn't been written yet, but it fits too well to not make it a flawless masterpiece for the ages.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »

Sunflower as a double-album:
                   Side 1
1.San Miguel
2.Deirdre
3.All I Wanna Do
4.Break Away
5.Loop de Loop
6.Slip On Through
                  Side 2
7.Cotton Fields
8.When Girls Get Together
9.Good Time
10.Take A Load Off Your Feet
11.I Just Got My Pay
12.Add Some Music To Your Day
                 Side 3
13.This Whole World
14.Soulful Old Man Sunshine
15.Tears In The Morning
16.Games Two Can Play
17.At My Window
18.Celebrate The News
                 Side 4
19.Back Home
20.Fallin' In Love
21.Our Sweet Love
22.Forever
23.Susie Cincinnati
24.Cool, Cool Water

I wish I had half of those unreleased songs. Or, at least, I wish I had half of those songs in good quality. Ugh, I hate 128kbps.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »

In most cases 128kps is CD quality and transparent, unless the encoder is from the 1990's. The bad quality of a lot of that footwear is the source material itself.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 04, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »

In most cases 128kps is CD quality and transparent, unless the encoder is from the 1990's. The bad quality of a lot of that footwear is the source material itself.

Mmmm, really? Usually I notice quite a bit of difference between 128 and. say, 192 or 320.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 05, 2010, 07:18:06 AM »

Last night 'The Whole World' popped into my head and I couldn't get it out. I found 'Sunflower' with the intention of listening to 'This Whole World' only. I saw 'Slip On Through' and remembered it was a fantastic song. So I started the album from the beginning and ended up listening to the entire album. I'd never really listened to Sunflower before (just as background music)....this time I gave the album my full attention...here are my impressions:

Slip On Through - 5/5 - Brilliant chorus - great vocal arrangement.
This Whole World - 5/5 - brilliant on every level.
Add Some Music - 5/5 - great message and beautiful song....LOVE the prelude to the chorus.
Got To Know The Woman - 3/5 - I like the idea of the song....would be 4/5 if "Got To Know A Woman" was not repeated umpteen times.
Deidre - 5/5 - yet another song that's brilliant on every level....chorus, verse, ending....love it all.
It's About Time - 5/5 - the verse rolls on like a locomotive engine. Chorus is brilliant, especially the buildup of the bridge.
Tears In The Morning - 4/5 - listenable but seems far too overdramatic to me. I love the piano ending.
All I Wanna Do - 5/5 - love the instrumentals and vocals.
Forever - 5/5 - probably the best on the album.
Our Sweet Love - 4/5 - good song, but not up to par with the rest of the album.
At My Window - 5/5 - love the childlike simplicity of the lyrics...love the vocals...
Cool, Cool Water - 5/5 - When the 'Love to Say da da' part came in I got a vivid image of me standing on a beach during a hurricane. Probably my favorite outro to any Beach Boys album.

Sunflower is now one of my favorite Beach Boy's albums. After listening to the album, I picked up Carlin's 'Catch A Wave' off my bookshelf and read about the Sunflower era. I can't believe the album wasn't more popular than it was/is. Really an underrated album in my opinion.

5/5

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 29, 2010, 08:48:16 AM »

This album is just so great. It's hard to rank Beach Boys albums, I honestly enjoy all the albums between All Summer Long and Holland. Sunflower is a cut above them however, and objectively it's hard to rank anything other than Pet Sounds above it.
Every song just works, Slip On Through is a fantastic opener. I've always felt this album was like the BB's Abbey Road, and Slip On through blows Come Together out of the water.
The album also features some of the best production on a BB album since Pet Sounds, everything sounds crystal clear, the instruments are all perfectly balanced.
I also think the songs that people don't like all that much, Our Sweet Love; Tears in the Morning; At My Window are great. The two weakest tracks are Got to Know the Woman and Cool Cool Water, which isn't bad, it just doesn't fit the album. I think the album would be better with Break Away and maybe When Girls Get Together instead. But as is Sunflower is a solid 5.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 22, 2010, 11:03:02 PM »

Call me an idiot, but Deirdre is my favorite track on it. Go figure.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 26, 2010, 04:50:54 PM »

of unreleased songs I don't really like San Miguel, Loop De Loop, or WGGT,  I'm Going Your Way is a no brainer though, should have been put instead of Got to Know the Woman. I would love it if there was a live version.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 10, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »

A couple days ago I was listening to my two fer disc of this album. Is it just me or is the French talking in AT MY WINDOW mixed down so I couldn't hear it ? Maybe it's just my hearing and old age finally getting a hold of me.  Huh

Ted

Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2011, 07:36:59 AM »

Funny how all y'all claim to love this LP but insist on fuckin with the track order, or doing substitutions.

C'mon - do you like the album as is, or do you not?  Nuts how after all these years everybody still has an idea for changing it.  Can't we just appreciate what the artistes have done in the form they chose to give us without constantly CHANGING it?

So here is my idea for changing it -- keep the original running order, but segue/butt-splice the tracks.  This would have been a very 1970 FM radio-type fashion statement, like the Moody Blues.  Gives the appearance of a cohesive whole, even though it isn't.  Which, as John Lennon was happy to point out, was the case with Sgt. Pepper.

Pasted in from the "40 years old" thread, made sense to put it here.  5 for me, BTW.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 20, 2011, 07:55:25 AM »

People still offer suggestions for "improving" Pet Sounds, too, so I'd say no album is safe... Personally, I knowing what else was around at the time, I find plenty of room for improvement to my taste. That said, it wasn't my album to make, and I can always screw with tracklists and running orders in my own time.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 07, 2011, 02:27:57 PM »

Does All I Wanna Do use rotating speakers played into microphones? I'm trying to think where I've heard that before....
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2011, 01:00:19 AM »

Echoes by Pink Floyd?

A discipline daddy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx