gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:53:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Sunflower
5 - 155 (73.8%)
4 - 45 (21.4%)
3 - 8 (3.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 193

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower  (Read 168737 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2005, 12:02:37 PM »

And some of us actually don't analyze lyrics while listening to music at a primary level.
But some of us do.

I hear the words and how they are sung, how the vocal lines fit with the song, before I hear what is being sung.  So unless they are just BAD (and these aren't), bad lyrics don't bother me (example of when they do bother me -- Hey Little Tomboy).
Me too. And so when I hear "Fun, Fun, Fun," it's great. When I hear "I Get Around," it's great. They are clearly intended to be just good-time rock music. (For that matter, same with "Susie Cincinnati" and many others, including of this era.) But when I hear a song that has lyrics intended to do something else and they fail, I have every right to call them sh*t--and I do it. "It's About Time" is absolutely idiotic, a song about some poor hasbeen famous rock star? I'm amazed Carl could even sing that trash. I'd personally take Brian writing the Love You songs every single time. Don't mistake me (or whoever) saying that these lyrics are awful to mean that I can't appreciate songs with less-than-VDP wordplay. Sometimes it just means that, well...they don't work. They're bad.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 12:32:45 PM »

But some of us love those lyrics, as well.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2005, 01:05:38 PM »

Shall In insert some bit about opinion or subjectivity or something?  Wink

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 01:28:28 PM »

You mean you can't ignore the words and listen to the most convincing BB rockers of all?  Because the two Denny tracks you dislike are the most credible all-out rocker type songs that the band ever did.  And I love them for that reason. GTKTW has a great rising chorus with some nifty Mike bass vocals, and the congas/drums on IAT are convincing.  Plus Carl gets a real solo for a change.  What's not to like?  I listen to how those songs are sung, not what is sung.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2005, 01:33:20 PM »

I have listened, many times. GTKNW, for me, is more tolerable because the other aspects of the song come through to bear more of the weight. But while It's About Time might rock (indeed, does rock), it still isn't good. I can like parts of a song and not others, or decide one aspect balances out others. IAT isn't musically strong enough to make up for the awful lyrics. Better ones might have made it at least what I would like (but never love, under any circumstances).

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2005, 01:34:15 PM »

(but never love, under any circumstances).

Correction--maybe if they inserted a bit about loving and praising Luther, for example...

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2006, 10:22:55 PM »

Love every single song. Deirdre the most. Love the sound, amazing sounding album. Dig the vibe.

One of my favourite Beach Boys albums.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2006, 02:03:29 AM »

Could NOT believe how gorgeous this was when I first heard it (on release), and it still blows me out of the window every time I play it (which is why I leave it open). Heavenly stuff from Brian, with soul from Dennis. After Pet Sounds, their best album, and I know some rate it above that.

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
wesi72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2006, 07:59:33 AM »

Fabulous album - my favourite.

Cheers,
Andrew
"Still cruisin' after all of these years"
APPLEI
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »

I have to give this a 5. The album everyone thinks Abbey Road is.
i agree with that,
i think all of the members of the group gave strong performances on this album
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2006, 12:43:50 PM »

I'll admit though that sometimes I wonder if the songs are as strong as the production and sound of the record.

Same could be said for much of Pet Sounds s'pose.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2006, 12:47:13 PM »

I'll admit though that sometimes I wonder if the songs are as strong as the production and sound of the record.

Same could be said for much of Pet Sounds s'pose.

I believe several of the songs are far inferior to the production of Sunflower. The production is pretty consistently fantastic. The songs...about half that. But I disagree on Pet Sounds, which I think is easily the most consistently good BBs album in terms of songs.

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2006, 02:39:07 PM »

I give this a 4.

Great album, but it gets a point taken off because it's not quite up to the standard set by PET SOUNDS, and because of "Tears in the Morning."

You take off "Tears in the Morning" and put on "San Miguel" instead, and you've got a DAMN great album.

Glenn
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2006, 07:24:20 PM »

I don't dig Dennis's songs either on this outing.  However Sunflower is a rarified gem in that it has a bevy of gourgeous songs on its grooves.  I like Diedre and not Tears in the morning too much.  Our sweet love is in my top ten BB songs of all time.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2006, 05:34:08 PM »

The rest of the album suffers from sounding alittle too 'sweet', I much prefer the production on 20/20 for example...  

20/20 is definitely edgier and more schizophrenic. Maybe that's why people dig it.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2006, 06:17:02 PM »

There are 12 songs on this album. 6 of them are some of my favorites and fucking brilliant: 1. Slip On Through, 2. Cool Cool Water, 3. All I Wanna Do, 4. This Whole World, 5. Forever and 6. Add Some Music To Your Day. I find the other half of the album pretty hard to listen to. I almost gave it a 4, but I really can't stand half the music on this album. The production is amazing though. Gee, maybe it'll grow on me.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2006, 06:29:46 PM »

Man, Deirdre, It's About Time and Our Sweet Love rule! Give em a chance again.
I can understand not liking Tears, Window and Got To Know, but those will grow on you with time as well.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2006, 06:32:51 PM »

Man, Deirdre, It's About Time and Our Sweet Love rule! Give em a chance again.

Two out of three ain't bad.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2006, 06:54:22 PM »

It's about time for you to admit you're wrong about It's About Time.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2006, 07:09:06 PM »

If or when I am, I will. Until then...

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2006, 07:13:06 PM »

Put it on LOUD.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2006, 07:14:04 PM »

If I stub my toe, I don't hit it with a hammer to make it feel better.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2006, 07:23:08 PM »

I can't stand all that loud guitar solo noisy rock stuff.

But if I put it on loud I start to see and feel what the people who love that stuff are into.

Your example doesn't really fit with music.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2006, 07:24:31 PM »

It does to me.

I do like plenty of loud guitar solo noisy rock stuff. Just not sh i t.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2006, 07:29:17 PM »

It's About Time is incredible. Really.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx