gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:59:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Sunflower
5 - 155 (73.8%)
4 - 45 (21.4%)
3 - 8 (3.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 193

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower  (Read 167335 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2008, 06:54:45 AM »

I give Sunflower a 5/5 because dennis is soooo cute & the beach boys R my favorite group ever. (That, btw, is my way of saying I'm done with this conversation. Repeat your point--again [I didn't understand you, your intellect is SO DIZZYING!] if you think it will help. But I don't care. Didn't care. Won't care. And don't need condescending "lessons" on logic from some message board participant.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 06:59:44 AM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2008, 07:04:04 AM »

I give Sunflower a 5/5 because dennis is soooo cute & the beach boys R my favorite group ever. (That, btw, is my way of saying I'm done with this conversation. Repeat your point--again [I didn't understand you, your intellect is SO DIZZYING!] if you think it will help. But I don't care. Didn't care. Won't care. And don't need condescending "lessons" on logic from some message board participant.)
Look, man, I was replying to what I thought was a rather confrontational reply of  yours(and Aegir's, actually, now that I look it all over) to the other guy's opinion. I don't think there's any reason to get upset, I certainly didn't expect it. (Though I feared it.) I guess I am a little disappointed that you got (apparently) angry and sarcastic.
I can accept that you have bowed out of the conversation.

He rather graciously accepted your criticism of his,er, criticism, in my opinion.

I certainly haven't been giving any lessons, and did not mean to be condescending(any more than you were to him/her). But, heck, I'll apologize if I came off that way--I thought that you(plural) had been coming off that way, ironically enough.

I was just making a point--I accept that you don't care, but don't really care that you don't, either! I guess I think that's beside the point.
 Your posts stand, and so do mine. Does it matter? Of course not. Or of course. 

I really don't feel I was picking on you so much as just sayin'.

Anyway, peace.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:04:39 AM by lance » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: October 19, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »

Look, man, I was replying to what I thought was a rather confrontational reply of  yours(and Aegir's, actually, now that I look it all over) to the other guy's opinion.
I wasn't being confrontational. I just thought it was weird.

Can't we all just get along?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2008, 07:47:37 PM »

You are the only one with a condescending tone in this thread.  Lighten up and don't be such an dick.

Take your own advice. Name calling is NOT tolerated on this message board. There's an ignore feature on the forum. If you do not like Luther's comments, use it. And same goes for Luther, if he feels as such. Otherwise, you all can take your drama to PMs.

Everyone needs to take three steps back, count to ten, and relax.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2008, 08:26:54 PM »

I had no idea such a happy upbeat record like Sunflower could a be a vortex for so much hate and shame.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2008, 08:50:01 PM »

No sh*t.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
signum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 20, 2008, 12:14:42 PM »

It seems good to turn back to give Sunflower the praise it deserves. And everyone surely makes a good subjective point about it. On the one hand I can never think of ratings for albums because it seems meaningless, but on the other hand I gave in to temptation and gave a 5/5 to Sunflower and that was the only time I gave a rating, just because I saw it as SO good. But if God is perfect, he is also infinite. Anything finite is not perfect, but it may be as good as you can imagine it being, without imagining it changing into something else.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2008, 04:48:46 PM »

This is my FAVORITE Beach Boys album!  I love every cut on it.  The group sounded so cohesive and better than before.   group hug  I think it's highly underrated and it's a shame it was one of the lowest charting Beach Boys albums.
axl wills
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2009, 10:40:55 AM »

The best beach boys lp as a band.Dennis shines on it.Cool cool water is the best song to drank a cold drink during a hot summertime!The harmony vocal are bright,dreamy and sweet;seemed they were feeling good together at that time.My fav album of the boys! 5/5
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »

Relax, don't do it, when you want to go to it...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 07, 2009, 11:21:30 PM »

Relax, don't do it, when you want to go to it...

OMG, a Frankie reference on Smiley SMiLE!! Fodaing awesome...way to go, Alex...  Rock!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 07, 2009, 11:22:36 PM »

....on the Sunflower thread nonetheless,...that just made my night... a Frankie/Sunflower connection.... Cool
CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2009, 01:37:09 PM »

I love Sunflower.  It is so awesome.  I like all the tracks but it's taken a while for Cool, Cool Water and All I Wanna Do to grow on me.  Dennis proved that he is a genius on his tracks. 
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »

I love Sunflower.  It is so awesome.  I like all the tracks but it's taken a while for Cool, Cool Water and All I Wanna Do to grow on me.  Dennis proved that he is a genius on his tracks. 

hmm...those two plus This Whole World are my favs.  I think that sort of thing is fascinating, we're all huge fans of this stuff, but to see all the variety between what eras/albums/songs are people's favorites really speaks to the quality of work of the bulk of their output.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2009, 12:04:37 AM »

An amazing album. I prefer post Pet Sounds albums for the most part and this has got to be my favorite on most days. My only real gripe is with "It's About Time" and "Tears in the Morning". Don't like the female vocals in "Got to Know the Woman" either. "Time" sounds like some sort of song from the musical Hair and "Tears" is just too melodramatic and annoying. The arrangement makes me cringe too.

But the rest is so good that it outweighs these minor quibbles. If "Deidre" were moved to open side two, we'd have a flawless side, with snapshots of each member giving their best. Although Mike has led the band into nothing but an oldies act, "All I Wanna Do" has to be one of the warmest, most loving songs I've ever heard. You can literally feel the "good vibrations" on that one. The incredible bass line, the psychedelic vocals, all drowned in a gorgeous echo.

Overall the album is beautiful and is also proof that Brian (who is clearly all over the record) didn't check out after Pet Sounds, though he definitely took a break for 20/20. If "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" and "Good Time" had been used in place of the aforementioned weak tracks, or just added to the album, it would be perfect. Either way, the Brits were right when they said it was a true successor to the grandeur of PS/The Beach Boys equivalent to "Sgt. Pepper's". A definite 5.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 12:08:16 AM by slothrop » Logged
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 21, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »

Sunflower is the only BB album that I feel is equal to Pet Sounds.  Both albums may have a few very minor flaws, but they have a certain flow that makes for a great experience from start to finish.  20/20 has excellent songs, but it lacks the cohesiveness of what I would consider a GREAT album.  The Rolling Stone Record Guide called 20/20 "singles packaged pretentiously".  Welllllll, I don't know if I'd go that far.....

Bottom line:  there is something magical about Sunflower that would never manifest itself again for the Boys.  Surf's Up tried, and had some substantial high points (no pun intended), but anyone hearing "Don't Go Near the Water" for the first time had to know that the Boys were in for a bumpy ride.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2009, 08:05:22 AM »

Commercially it wouldn't have made a big difference, but there's a monster argument for Sunflower being a double album. The Beach Boys were badly managed and insanely talented.

side one:
"Slip On Through"
"Loop de Loop"
"San Miguel"
"Deirdre"
"Forever"

side two:
"The Lord's Prayer"
 "Break Away"
 "Celebrate The News"
 "All I Wanna Do"
 "Got To Know The Woman"
"Good Time"

side three:
"Our Sweet Love"
"Add Some Music To Your Day"
"This Whole World"
"I Just Got My Pay"
"At My Window"

side four:
"It's About Time"
 "Our Sweet Love"
"At My Window"
"Cool, Cool Water"

stop me if you've heard this one before, but thats one album full of goodies.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2009, 02:15:46 PM »

I don't like the sequencing of that, especially with most of the Dennis songs being confined to the first two sides and "At My Window" being on the album twice.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »

Commercially it wouldn't have made a big difference, but there's a monster argument for Sunflower being a double album. The Beach Boys were badly managed and insanely talented.

side one:
"Slip On Through"
"Loop de Loop"
"San Miguel"
"Deirdre"
"Forever"

side two:
"The Lord's Prayer"
 "Break Away"
 "Celebrate The News"
 "All I Wanna Do"
 "Got To Know The Woman"
"Good Time"

side three:
"Our Sweet Love"
"Add Some Music To Your Day"
"This Whole World"
"I Just Got My Pay"
"At My Window"

side four:
"It's About Time"
 "Our Sweet Love"
"At My Window"
"Cool, Cool Water"

stop me if you've heard this one before, but thats one album full of goodies.

What sort of monster would be making this argument?  Presumably one without ears.  Loop de Loop?  I Just Got My Pay?  The Lord's Prayer?  These are just diluting an album that already suffers from the inclusion of Got to Know the Woman.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2009, 06:17:52 PM »

While I agree that Sunflower is diluted with some weak songs, I do agree that there are plenty of other really good possibilities that could have been included. Double album, probably not (for my taste, in that I almost always disagree with the idea of releasing a double album). But a different, stronger single album, sure.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2009, 07:37:47 PM »

You could also add to that Soulful Old Man Sunshine, Lady, I'm Going Your Way, Seasons In The Sun, Susie Cincinatti, Back Home, Take A Load Off Your Feet etc.. Pretty crazy when you think about it!

and "At My Window" being on the album twice.

"Our Sweet Love" is in their twice as well.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2009, 11:02:31 PM »

You could also add to that Soulful Old Man Sunshine, Lady, I'm Going Your Way, Seasons In The Sun, Susie Cincinatti, Back Home, Take A Load Off Your Feet etc.. Pretty crazy when you think about it!

To me that list just says that the Beach Boys made several mediocre or mediocre-minus songs that fortunately were left off of Sunflower.  Why is that crazy?
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2009, 11:40:35 PM »

To me that list just says that the Beach Boys made several mediocre or mediocre-minus songs that fortunately were left off of Sunflower.  Why is that crazy?
[/quote]You call "Lady (Fallin' in Love)" mediocre?? Blasphemy Grin

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2009, 11:40:54 PM »

And yes Luther, the quoting went hay-wire there. I GET IT.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2009, 01:02:14 AM »

Well I think it's pretty amazing that they were so productive at that time - if you read my post I never said that those songs should have been on Sunflower just mentioning the fact that they had so much material in the vaults that dated from around that time. I also think it's funny how some people think that Brian is the be all and end all in the band and yet the other guys showed that they were capable as well. Obviously that's your opinion that those songs are mediocre or even worse but I think there is some decent material there. Yes, considering their past record some of those songs are mediocre but then again compared to some of the earlier material most songs ever written in the pop field look pretty mediocre. But I think some of those songs are still pretty decent especially since some of them weren't even finished. And there's probably more that I am forgetting as well.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx