gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:52:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian comments on possibilities of a BB reunion  (Read 40520 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2008, 07:40:51 AM »

I distinctly recall the first announcements made by Brian on the Blueboard way back in 2003, about SMiLE. The Blueboard still was in the finest of fine aquablue colors, by the way. But when you looked closer you began to get a tad doubtful whether it really was Brian himself who typed in those messages... I wouldn't be surprised if it was Melinda all the way, and I wouldn't be disappointed either. Brian may well be in a state of mild chronic depression nowadays, a state which can be overcome with fine-tuned medication and, excuse the words, frequent prodding from the outside. It's not an uncommon situation: the person in question has real trouble to initiate, to implement. He or she looks at future plans as if these were obstacles that can't be overcome. Then, if a caring environment 'pushes' a bit in the right direction, things can be achieved that the patient thought impossible. And afterwards the joy is real, not fake.
So I must say that it does not bother me that perhaps others now and then 'step in for Brian', fuel his desire to do something in whatever way, talk him into a new project. All this is way better for him than letting him slumber on a sofa until it is time to go to bed anyway.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2008, 09:28:05 AM »

For awhile Brian played the same chord again and again and again on an obviously muted keyboard. Honestly, I'd rather he pretend to play the keyboard than stand behind it clapping.

Why, what's wrong with it?

And I think Brian played the opening chords to Marcella during his recent UK tour.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »

Brian may well be in a state of mild chronic depression nowadays, a state which can be overcome with fine-tuned medication and, excuse the words, frequent prodding from the outside. It's not an uncommon situation: the person in question has real trouble to initiate, to implement. He or she looks at future plans as if these were obstacles that can't be overcome. Then, if a caring environment 'pushes' a bit in the right direction, things can be achieved that the patient thought impossible. And afterwards the joy is real, not fake.
So I must say that it does not bother me that perhaps others now and then 'step in for Brian', fuel his desire to do something in whatever way, talk him into a new project. All this is way better for him than letting him slumber on a sofa until it is time to go to bed anyway.

I agree with you. Just because someone is pushing him doesn't mean it's a negative thing. Who are we to say what is best for Brian-- we who don't even know him? We go over this again and again, but Brian's band members have recently marveled at how far he has come in the past few years. I don't think it's because he's being mistreated. As we all know, Brian's tours are not profitable. His solo albums don't make a whole lot of money either. It would be easier and more cost effective for Melinda to let Brian sit around doing nothing. For that reason, I think she pushes him because she cares. And if she's discouraging him from doing a reunion, it's probably because she has had bad experiences with Mike Love, and even though he has his virtues, she probably dislikes him because of the S&S thing, the TV movie, the lawsuits, etc. Those are her experiences, and she probably watched Brian's negative reaction to each one of them. Who can blame her if she wants to keep Brian away from that?

By the way, the whole thing about the unplugged keyboard-- it's obviously not unplugged. He has played it on stage. And also, we've seen him play piano in various DVDs, so obviously he can still play. As Brian's band members say, Brian feels better behind a keyboard. So let him have it onstage. What's the big deal?

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2008, 01:25:56 PM »

I think Brian's reputation has taken a hit since he became a solo artist. In many people's eyes (except on BB/BW message boards), the creative genius or hit-making songwriter tag has left him. But he will always have that aura about him, that potential to come up with something great. People still want to be around him, in some way be a part of his world. And I'm telling you, all it will take is a simple phone call to anyone - including The Beach Boys - and they will come running. Now, I've already admitted that it will take some negotiating to get to that point. But, if it ever does, there will be a reunion. The ball is in Brian's court.

I could not disagree with you more.  If anything, Brian's reputation has been enhanced over the past 10 years.

He's reclaimed his music.
He's reclaimed his legacy.
All Star Tribute to Brian Wilson
Musi-Cares
Songwriters Hall of Fame
UK Rock Hall of Fame
He overcame his demons and presented Smile live after 37 years and then released it
Kennedy Center Honors

These have nothing to do with reputation. They are honors and (arguably) achievements, based largely on work that was done 40-45 years ago. A more accurate measure of Brian's current reputation, which is what I was referring to, say the last 20 years, as a solo artist, would be to look at the number of (or lack of) record companies who are lining up to sign him - and/or dropped him.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »

These have nothing to do with reputation. They are honors and (arguably) achievements, based largely on work that was done 40-45 years ago. A more accurate measure of Brian's current reputation, which is what I was referring to, say the last 20 years, as a solo artist, would be to look at the number of (or lack of) record companies who are lining up to sign him - and/or dropped him.

You think Brian's reputation would have been better... how? Had be stayed with the BBs? Because I don't think Mike and Bruce have a great reputation, do they? Or maybe if he had stayed at home all the time, doing nothing, like so many on this board think he should?
Frankly, I think his reputation is the best it has been since probably the 60s, maybe the 70s. He just came out with an excellent album and is signed back onto Capitol. In terms of people not wanting to sign him/dropping him, that's probably because his music doesn't sell, not because he has a bad musical reputation. Labels don't care about musical integrity.  I think his music was aggressively marketed and able to sell back in the 60s for a number of reasons-- partly because he and the other BBs were young and cute, partly because the music was played on the radio all the time. Those factors aren't there anymore, and a BB reunion won't bring them back. But there are people lining up to collaborate with him (Mike is at the back of a long line), even at this late stage. There are people marveling over "magic chords" and such. I think his reputation is still pretty damn good.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2008, 03:13:12 PM »

Or maybe if he had stayed at home all the time, doing nothing

Actually that probably would have helped his reputation most of all. I'm not in favor of that idea, but I think it would have.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2008, 03:24:31 PM »

Actually that probably would have helped his reputation most of all. I'm not in favor of that idea, but I think it would have.

Before I knew about Brian's solo career, I thought of him this way:
Man who wrote great music back in the 60s and is now completely in a daze, unaware of his surroundings, and unable to create music. That would be his _current_ reputation (and that's what SJS was referring to) if he had not released solo stuff, particularly TLOS. I also have a fear that if he got on stage with the BBs, where he wouldn't be singing the majority of the leads, the mainstream audience would see a lost man. I'd rather his solo work shine through.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »

I try my best to respect opinions, all opinions, even when I don't agree with them. But I don't think my statement about Brian's reputation is an opinon. I believe it is a fact.

Honestly, honestly take a look at it. In 1966, Brian had not failed, he had the music world at his feet, he could've and did anything he wanted to (see Smiley Smile). He was a hitmaking machine, one of the 2-3 best songwriters in the business, the genius producer and arranger, and was at or near the top of the rock panthoen. That is a fact.

Flash forward ten years to 1976, Brian's reputation, I repeat reputation, was still very much intact. While the hits had slowed down, his limited contributions were still praised, still the highlights of not only the Beach Boys' albums, but anybody else's albums. He was still in demand, still could've done anything he wanted (and almost did with Love You), and was still, now slightly arguably, one of the best songwriters and producers around. He hadn't failed - yet.

Now Brian is a solo artist, it's 1986. The word is out that he's working on his first solo album. There's a lot of buzz. Despite the failings of the last couple of Beach Boys' albums (that wasn't Brian's fault, right?), the optimism is almost unanimous. Brian Wilson - the genius songwriter, arranger, and producer of The Beach Boys, is finally going to "stretch out" and make the music he wasn't allowed to make in the Beach Boys. Except he didn't. However, it took a couple of more albums before people stopped saying those things about Brian. Oh, yes, the obligatory interviews conducted to promote the release of Brian's solo albums included the standard praise. But many more fans of music (what term do I use?) started to and continue to have their doubts.

Now it's 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and it is a fact that Brian Wilson is not viewed in the same idolitary, mind-blowing, guaranteed to produce something great tones. Not like 1966, 1976, 0r even 1986. That's all I was saying.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2008, 03:53:49 PM »

Before I knew about Brian's solo career, I thought of him this way:
Man who wrote great music back in the 60s and is now completely in a daze, unaware of his surroundings, and unable to create music. That would be his _current_ reputation (and that's what SJS was referring to) if he had not released solo stuff, particularly TLOS.

Amy, obviously you posted while I was typing mine....But, what you posted is basically what I'm saying. Many people still view Brian the way you used to, as "in a daze, unaware of his surroundings, and unable to create music". Yes, Brian might've won over a few of the non-believers with BWPS and TLOS - I'll grant you that - but that still doesn't mean his reputation hasn't taken a hit, which was my point. An album that appears on the charts for a week or two and disappears doesn't change a lot. And, yes, I know sales don't mean everything. I know, I know....
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2008, 04:53:06 PM »

I'm no Brian obsessive, I don't think everything he touches turns to gold..I just really respect and admire the man.

But I'm just going to be honest with some of you here, not just on this thread but the board in general, it's almost pathetic how critical you are of the man himself

You feel the need to analyze every aspect of him, when really you should just be happy that he's still making great music, so just stop complaing how he plays a muted piano, or how he doesn't bother to fake play it, how he doesn't sing lead on wouldint be nice anymore, how sometimes he is less than impressive live, how his reputation is not what is was anymore (which i disagree with), man I could go on.

Brian has some very harsh fans.

Or maybe i'm not use to Brian Wilson fandom.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:56:58 PM by Wild_Honey-In_Stereo » Logged

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2008, 05:18:29 PM »

I'm no Brian obsessive, I don't think everything he touches turns to gold..I just really respect and admire the man.

But I'm just going to be honest with some of you here, not just on this thread but the board in general, it's almost pathetic how critical you are of the man himself

You feel the need to analyze every aspect of him, when really you should just be happy that he's still making great music, so just stop complaing how he plays a muted piano, or how he doesn't bother to fake play it, how he doesn't sing lead on wouldint be nice anymore, how sometimes he is less than impressive live, how his reputation is not what is was anymore (which i disagree with), man I could go on.

Well said
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2008, 05:55:58 PM »

A simple suggestion.

Forget Brian. Think of another big name from the 60'/70s. Now, do you think the music this artist has been releasing in the last two decades makes you enjoy more or less his work from 45/35 years ago?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2008, 06:16:13 PM »

....it's almost pathetic how critical you are of the man himself

It's not criticizing the man himself, it's criticizing his music, or his art. And that's a big difference. You CAN separate the two. If people want to criticize Brian Wilson, the man, well..... believe me, you don't wanna go there.

But, in the first place, it's not all criticism. Much of it is well thought out, well written debate and discussion. It's naive to think there aren't two sides to most issues. Why do people "complain" about Brian's lack of piano playing? Because they can't praise his piano playing, because he doesn't play! Why do people "criticize" his lack of expression live? Because it's hard to praise any artist who spends the majority of a live concert with a blank expression on his face! The truth hurts sometimes.

Hey, it's a rock and roll message board. It's not a fan club. That's what we do on a message board. Wild Honey-In Stereo, do you think it's "pathetic" the way Mike Love is criticized. Obviously, people don't "respect and admire" Mike as a man. But, most of the time, they don't respect his talent. So it's not pathetic to take every available shot at him? It's justifiable, right? You can't have it both ways. No, I don't think you are used to Brian Wilson fandom, or rock and roll discussion in general. If you were, you wouldn't have written that post.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:45:31 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2008, 10:24:06 PM »

Brian may well be in a state of mild chronic depression nowadays, a state which can be overcome with fine-tuned medication and, excuse the words, frequent prodding from the outside.

If you've ever lived with anyone who suffers from depression, then you know how true this statement is. You also understand why sometimes Brian is so enthusiastic about musical projects, appears animated and excited...and other times he stars blankly and says "My wife wanted me to do it". That's how depression can be, you have good days and bad days...and sometimes you have days when you don't want to get out of bed and do want to stuff yourself with junk all day.

But the bottom line is, you cannot make somebody do something they really don't want to do. Brian was ready to resurrect SMiLE...Melinda had to prod him sometimes but that's how you deal with a chronically depressed person. It's a brain chemistry thing. I don't think anybody who witnessed Brian perform SMiLE is in any doubt that he enjoyed it.

As for the keyboard....if he needs that security blanket, if he needs it perhaps as a "barrier" between himself and the audience then so be it...it's no big deal.
BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2008, 11:20:51 AM »

I'm totally agree with you
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2008, 12:57:22 AM »

But the thing to remember here is Brian, and anyone selling a product, is the paying public have a right to critique.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2008, 01:25:35 AM »

I think fandom in general generates strong opinions. Take fans of any artist, TV show, whatever....some proportion of real hardcore fans will like a specific period of an artist's output (or a TV show's history) and wish that everything they did was like that. But other fans prefer something different, later or earlier work. They differ in opinion about how best the artist should move on with his/her career, or even if they should move on at all.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2008, 02:17:24 AM »

Here's a nice memory/mental puzzle that someone on another board proposed (in another context, I only adapted it), for me at least it helped put things into perspective:

Friend, it is 1967 now. Even if you weren't even born then, just try to imagine yourself being a young but discerning pop fan in those days... you are already so 'in' with the incrowd that your attention has shifted towards albums, not singles... what do you make of the following predictions:
- the Rolling Stones will record albums and do worldwide tours in stadiums with enormous financial profits 41 years from now;
- and although 'Pet Sounds' wasn't really a hit album, and SMiLE seems to have been shelved for a long time, I predict that Pet Sounds will be recognized from the 1990s onwards as one of the greatest albums ever made, and Brian Wilson will finish SMiLE in the year 2003/2004 and will tour both milestones in their entirety worldwide;
- and, oh yes, Pet Sounds will be with you in a gorgeous stereo mix in 1996; and both it and SMiLE and all other music will be available on a shiny little disc that can also be used as a shaving mirror; and also they can be pulled out of an electronic socket in your wall from a worldwide distribution network.

Well, I would have declared the person who prophecized this a stark raving lunatic madman.

In other words: let's be thankful for what we've got.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:18:19 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2008, 04:47:55 AM »

It's not criticizing the man himself, it's criticizing his music, or his art. And that's a big difference. You CAN separate the two. If people want to criticize Brian Wilson, the man, well..... believe me, you don't wanna go there.

But, in the first place, it's not all criticism. Much of it is well thought out, well written debate and discussion. It's naive to think there aren't two sides to most issues. Why do people "complain" about Brian's lack of piano playing? Because they can't praise his piano playing, because he doesn't play! Why do people "criticize" his lack of expression live? Because it's hard to praise any artist who spends the majority of a live concert with a blank expression on his face! The truth hurts sometimes.

I can understand where you are coming from Sheriff, but I have to disagree with you on some things here. Firstly, I agree that it's totally fair to critique Brian's music/art. I mean nobody HAS to like it if they don't want to. I mean anyone can like whatever they want...if someone thinks that Summer Of Love is the greatest song ever written then good for them, I'm glad they enjoy it. But I think some of the criticism of Brian is a little unfair. I thought I'd quote Amy B. from a little while back as she makes some great points:

I also think that as much as Brian is the subject of a bit too much hero-worship, he's also the subject of too much criticism. If you don't like the songs, he wrote them. If you do, they're the work of his band. If his voice sounds better than on the last few albums it's still not as good as it was in 1966. If Brian is collaborating with others it must mean he can't work alone, and if he does a wall of Brians or takes all the leads he really should rely more on his band.

I also think it's a little unfair how people complain about how Brian doesn't even play his keyboard, he is a bad live performer, he has a blank look on his face a lot of the time etc... I mean come on, give the guy a break. He is 66 years old you know. And I mean as we all know, Brian has NEVER been a good live performer, he has taken countless drugs and smoked heaps over the years which have no doubt done a lot of damage including ruining his voice and screwing with his brain. And the guy has a mental illness for crying out loud!! I mean, I'm 20 years old, I have never done drugs, have never smoked, I don't drink, I don't have a mental illness and yet I'm pretty sure that Brian could still do a better job than me.

My point being, if you want to criticize his latest song saying "Morning Beat just isn't my thing", then that is totally cool. But sometimes it just goes too far and it just annoys me. I could understand if a newbie, a casual fan or a non-fan said things like "gee that Brian guy is weird" but it amazes me how fans of Brian's can always bring up things like I mentioned before: "he is a bad concert performer, he needs a teleprompter, he doesn't even use his keyboard and he sings off-key"... I mean okay, let's just mention it once if we have to but can we get over it now? I'm sick of hearing about the same complaints over and over again. Brian isn't going to magically be healed and go back to his 1964 self again.

It also annoys me how people complain about how That Lucky Old Sun was largely written in 2006 and the rest of it before that (even as far back as the 70s etc..). Well, who cares? Why should that matter? He still wrote the damn thing. I mean if Brian wrote a decent/good/great song or riff twenty years ago that has never been released, then why shouldn't he release it?

Wild Honey-In Stereo, do you think it's "pathetic" the way Mike Love is criticized. Obviously, people don't "respect and admire" Mike as a man. But, most of the time, they don't respect his talent. So it's not pathetic to take every available shot at him? It's justifiable, right? You can't have it both ways.

As far as I know (though I may have missed one of his earlier posts) Wild Honey-In Stereo didn't even mention Mike so I don't know what this has to do with anything.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2008, 07:55:53 PM »

Wild Honey-In Stereo, do you think it's "pathetic" the way Mike Love is criticized. Obviously, people don't "respect and admire" Mike as a man. But, most of the time, they don't respect his talent. So it's not pathetic to take every available shot at him? It's justifiable, right? You can't have it both ways.

As far as I know (though I may have missed one of his earlier posts) Wild Honey-In Stereo didn't even mention Mike so I don't know what this has to do with anything.

I interjected Mike's name into this because I thought he would be easier to relate to, but you could use any other rock and roll artist/musician/singer. My point being....

Wild Honey-In Stereo thought it was "pathetic of how critical you are of the man himself". Wild Honey-In Stereo also said, "I just really admire and respect the man", and "you should just be happy that he's still making great music". So, I'm assuming that means that we shouldn't criticize certain things about Brian Wilson, things that Wild Honey-In Stereo finds objectionable, based on the person or man that Brian Wilson is. Does that mean because of the psychological condition he is in? Or that he was a martyr who gave his life for his art? That he is too sympathetic a figure to criticize? Or that because he gave us so much great music that he should never be criticized? That we should only thank him and worship him? Or just be grateful that he's still recording great (his words, not mine) music?

On the other hand, another artist, who doesn't fall into most of those categories - I used Mike Love as an example - should be judged by another standard? That's what I meant by having it both ways. Brian Wilson can never lose, he's beyond reproach. But most other artists are fair game. There's one set of rules for Brian - how dare you criticize him. And another set of rules for everybody else - let the music stand on its own.

And in reality, isn't that how we sometimes judge the Beach Boys' music, by how we feel about the man. Brian is back and we're happy to have him back. Be happy he's still recording. Be happy he's still breathing. He took those drugs to self-medicate himself, from the pain. The marijuana, hashish, LSD, uppers, downers, cocaine - he needed that. He wasn't some hedonistic rock and roller "living the high life". And poor Dennis. Murry fu--ed him up. That's why he was the way he was. He had an excuse. And he "looked" like a real Beach Boy. But, Mike and Al, they didn't fry their brains or voice, so they have no excuse. They didn't give us as much great music so it's not pathetic to criticize them. And Bruce, he was adopted into a rich family. Well, he gets no pass here, buster. What dues did he pay? And he tours with Mike. No soup for you!

I used to be guilty of that, starting all the way back in 1976. I used to, and to some extent still am sympathetic to Brian. But after you carry that around for 32 years, I don't know, it kinda wears off. The excuses become redundant. The patience wears thin. You start to judge his work on the same plain as every other artist releasing new music. Yeah, he charges money for CD's, concert tickets, T-shirts, books, etc. But it's not just that. Ah, nevermind....
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:15:19 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2008, 12:16:07 AM »

Breaking news: There will be a BB reunion when Dennis and Carl come back!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2008, 12:27:19 AM »

Dear Sherriff JS -
although I don't agree with you on various points (but in degrees, not in sharp contrast, so a heavy debate is nonsense) I see your point. This is where I stand, roughly...
In 1995, I was overwhelmed when having read articles in the UK press, good, detailed ones, about the work that Brian and Andy Paley did in the studio then. Soon thereafter, I came into the possesion of a recording of demos and my hope was confirmed: 'Getting In Over My Head', 'Must Be A Miracle', and other songs could, with proper production and real instruments in stead of keyboards, be the sign of a true comeback, the comeback that the '88 album did not turn out to be. And, I think all of us somehow here have that obsession: there were few things in the world we wanted more than a true Brian Wilson comeback, sans Landy, and general acknowledgment that his genius is unique.
Instead, he found Joe Thomas. Turned in a few mediocre products (the Nashville Sessions are not really awful, just mediocre... and I don't know what is worse). As if he was on a boat, surely afloat and not sinking, but without direction.
Meanwhile the public portrait of Brian Wilson was refined and painted in truthful colors (I am thinking about the Don Was film here; and sympathetic books by Tim White and later Peter Ames Carlin of course).
Yes, in some respects Brian Wilson fans can be the saddest shoegazing fans in the world, endlessly ruminating about what might have been, and I do belong firmly into that category.
I think it is quite fair to say that his output from 1988 onwards does not hold up to the sixties peaks. The melodies are simpler, changes are more predictable, sometimes on the verge of childishness. Still, for this person they still are a joy to listen to. I try to take it all in on its own merits, and that works quite well. And: Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE for me is outside of time and place. It is a masterwork and I firmly agree with the rating that Robert Christgau gave it: an A+, because it shows that there still might be some hope that pop music is not only the predictable dire stadium fodder that is served on a daily basis by the likes of U2, Coldplay, the Rolling Stones, and all those big names from the past with one or two surviving founder members in the line-up.
And hey... I would be rather eager to exchange the whole of the Stones' or Led Zep's output for a solitary gem like The Night Was So Young or This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2008, 12:28:48 AM »

Breaking news: There will be a BB reunion when Dennis and Carl come back!

Good news. I will speed up the development of the Don's Essential Revitalisator in my hidden lab in the European Alps. More news to follow, stay tuned.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2008, 06:43:59 AM »

I interjected Mike's name into this because I thought he would be easier to relate to, but you could use any other rock and roll artist/musician/singer. My point being....

Wild Honey-In Stereo thought it was "pathetic of how critical you are of the man himself". Wild Honey-In Stereo also said, "I just really admire and respect the man", and "you should just be happy that he's still making great music". So, I'm assuming that means that we shouldn't criticize certain things about Brian Wilson, things that Wild Honey-In Stereo finds objectionable, based on the person or man that Brian Wilson is. Does that mean because of the psychological condition he is in? Or that he was a martyr who gave his life for his art? That he is too sympathetic a figure to criticize? Or that because he gave us so much great music that he should never be criticized? That we should only thank him and worship him? Or just be grateful that he's still recording great (his words, not mine) music?

On the other hand, another artist, who doesn't fall into most of those categories - I used Mike Love as an example - should be judged by another standard? That's what I meant by having it both ways. Brian Wilson can never lose, he's beyond reproach. But most other artists are fair game. There's one set of rules for Brian - how dare you criticize him. And another set of rules for everybody else - let the music stand on its own.

And in reality, isn't that how we sometimes judge the Beach Boys' music, by how we feel about the man. Brian is back and we're happy to have him back. Be happy he's still recording. Be happy he's still breathing. He took those drugs to self-medicate himself, from the pain. The marijuana, hashish, LSD, uppers, downers, cocaine - he needed that. He wasn't some hedonistic rock and roller "living the high life". And poor Dennis. Murry fu--ed him up. That's why he was the way he was. He had an excuse. And he "looked" like a real Beach Boy. But, Mike and Al, they didn't fry their brains or voice, so they have no excuse. They didn't give us as much great music so it's not pathetic to criticize them. And Bruce, he was adopted into a rich family. Well, he gets no pass here, buster. What dues did he pay? And he tours with Mike. No soup for you!

I used to be guilty of that, starting all the way back in 1976. I used to, and to some extent still am sympathetic to Brian. But after you carry that around for 32 years, I don't know, it kinda wears off. The excuses become redundant. The patience wears thin. You start to judge his work on the same plain as every other artist releasing new music. Yeah, he charges money for CD's, concert tickets, T-shirts, books, etc. But it's not just that. Ah, nevermind....

No see you don't get what I'm saying, you can be critical about Pet Sounds and I won't care. I never said in my original post about criticising his work, that's fair game.

What I said was how BB and Brian fans criticise everything about him, and how they should just be happy he's still motoring on. It's just bitching when you start going on about how he doesn't fake play his muted piano, or how one member said when I pay to see a Brian show he should sing lead on every song..MY GOD..he's not a circus monkey you fool, if he wants Jeff to take lead on a song cause it sounds better, that should be fine, cause it does sound better.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2008, 07:48:11 AM »

I think there's a difference in the criticisms of Brian and the criticisms of Mike. With Mike, the criticism center on the way he sometimes treats other people and the way he talks about other people in interviews. He comes across as very bitter and seems to go out of his way to put other people down in order to make himself look good. I'm not saying he's a villain or has no redeeming qualities, but he just doesn't seem very likeable. The other criticism is the fact that he criticizes other people's work without having come up with anything worthwhile himself. And that seems hypocritical. Also, in a sense, he bites the hand that feeds him. He makes a living from Brian's work and although he has said some very nice things about Brian, he has also criticized Brian, commented on his mental illness in an unsympathetic way, and otherwise suggested that Brian is not all there. It's almost character assassination. And he's very commercial, and while this is okay by itself, he seems unwilling to even acknowledge that anything non-commercial is even worth hearing.

With Brian, the criticism seems to be based on his work, and while that's okay by itself, the critics seem to have set the standard impossibly high. No, he hasn't attained his 60s heights. Has anyone else? No, his voice isn't as good as it used to be. But neither is McCartney's or Mike Love's. No, he's not a good performer. But he never was. There are also criticism of his actions. He's withdrawn. He doesn't talk to fans at some signings. He relinquishes control to his band sometimes. But to me, these things as a lot less worth of criticism than Mike's personality issues. Brian has said not-so-nice things about people in the past, but it certainly doesn't dominate his views. Like anyone, he'll blurt something out every now and then, but he has also acknowledged his own failings, and to me, that's huge. Where Mike comes off as arrogant and ignorant, Brian comes off as modest and self-aware.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx