gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:42:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian comments on possibilities of a BB reunion  (Read 40504 times)
Wilsonista
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2008, 04:58:08 PM »

Can't have the Beach Boys without Mike.

Unfortunately.

Allow me to play the Devil's Advocate.

I'm no Mike Lover, by any stretch. But...

what if someone like Jan Berry took the Mike role in the Beach Boys? I would have to think having someone other than a family member in that role as co-conspirator would have meant less stress and anguish for brian. Hell, (and this is where I expect to have my ass jumped) Jan was far more talented than Mike. Jan  was just as conservative as Mike (see "The Universal Coward") , but Jan, I think would have greatly appreciated what someone like VDP would have brought to the table.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2008, 05:27:11 PM »

I know they're old, I know they've failed in the late 70's, 80's and 90's, and I know they haven't done anything "great" in a long, long time. And, I know I appear naive. But I still have faith, that given one last chance, and hopefully learning from their past mistakes, that they could rise to the occasion and pull off something worthwhile. But, I can't stress enough how important the co-producer would be in the process.

I'd like to see Mike do some more work without Brian. Let's see if he can write lyrics for someone else's music. He hasn't written anything decent since the 70s, so let him prove he can do it. Plus, he's always talking about reuniting with Brian, as if he's the only person he can work with. I know Mike wants to work with Brian because of their history together, but I don't have much faith that it would be particularly good. For the record, I'm against a reunion for this reason and because I just feel like it wouldn't be pleasant for Brian, at least. If Mike really wants Brian (and management) to come around to the idea, though, he's going to have to step up and be gracious. Stop saying passive aggressive things about Brian and Dennis. Start listening to Brian's solo stuff and if you like it, speak up. He's got to turn on the charm. Who would want to work with someone who looks like a jerk half the time? I wouldn't.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2008, 05:50:47 PM »

I'd like to see Mike do some more work without Brian. Let's see if he can write lyrics for someone else's music.

Mike made some good contributions working with others:

"Don't Go Near The Water" w/ Al
"All This Is That" w/ Al & Carl
"We Got Love" w/ Blondie & Ricky
"Only With You" w/ Dennis
"Pacific Ocean Blue" w/ Dennis
"Getcha Back" w/ Terry Melcher
"Rock And Roll To The Rescue" w/ Terry Melcher
"Kokomo" w/ John Philips and Terry Melcher
"Strange Things Happen" w/ Terry Melcher
"Lahaina Aloha" w/ Terry Melcher 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »

I think the only interest would be in some form of a reality TV/ album tie-in deal and I don't want that.

Think Spinal Tap meets Gene Simmons Family Jewels meets The Osbournes meets Metillica's Some Kind of Monster doco! Think a washed up band that does not realise it yet everyone else does.
A reality show mixing band members, their wifes and managers. Throw in VD Parks to help with lyrics, Jack Riley to manage and Stan Love to assist. In other words a train-wreck but great tv.

The Beach Boys displayed to the new audience some think is out there somewhere just waiting. Please no.

Here's my post for my thoughts of a reunion from January this year.

You want a reunion? Have a lock-in at Al's Big Sur studio with a camera crew for a warts-and-all no holds barred, clear the air show-down. In between plenty of memories of the good times and bad. Lots of instruments close at hand for whatever happens. At 5pm its down to the beach around the campfire with guitars, families, beer and hotdogs. Film it all.
July 4th concert at the Hollywood Bowl. One night only. Lots of hits with some Big Sur highlights/ lowlights on the big screen behind in between songs. A few guest singers to ease onstage tension.

All realeased as DVD for Christmas market. One disc of concert. The other Big Sur get-together. Profits to same charity as concert.

Aint gonna happen. Don't care either way.

Still stand by it but now see it of interest to a true fan only. As Sheriff said, Bruce plus the others must have some songs they could contribute. Album? don't know but to see them putting new songs together for a one-off show would be great. About the only good thing from the Star and Stripes DVD was seeing the band practising new arrangements, recording them then mixing.

I could go for more of that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:21:58 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2008, 06:22:21 PM »

I'd like to see Mike do some more work without Brian. Let's see if he can write lyrics for someone else's music.

Mike made some good contributions working with others:

Okay, I don't know some of those and how good they are. Any in the last 20 years?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2008, 06:26:26 PM »

Here's my post for my thoughts of a reunion from January this year.

You want a reunion? Have a lock-in at Al's Big Sur studio with a camera crew for a warts-and-all no holds barred, clear the air show-down. In between plenty of memories of the good times and bad. Lots of instruments close at hand for whatever happens. At 5pm its down to the beach around the campfire with guitars, families, beer and hotdogs. Film it all.
July 4th concert at the Hollywood Bowl. One night only. Lots of hits with some Big Sur highlights/ lowlights on the big screen behind in between songs. A few guest singers to ease onstage tension.

All realeased as DVD for Christmas market. One disc of concert. The other Big Sur get-together. Profits to same charity as concert.

Aint gonna happen. Don't care either way.

Still stand by it but now see it of interest to a true fan only. As Sheriff said, Bruce plus the others must have some songs they could contribute. Album? don't know but to see them putting new songs together for a one-off show would be great. About the only good thing from the Star and Stripes DVD was seeing the band practising new arrangements, recording them then mixing.

I could go for more of that.

Sounds like the Beatles' Get Back project.  I guess if we get an Abbey Road further down the line from a reformed Beach Boys it might be worth suffering through the "live" project.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2008, 02:30:28 AM »

I think the only interest would be in some form of a reality TV/ album tie-in deal and I don't want that.

Cue the "When are those kids going home??" theme song!

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2008, 08:33:01 AM »

since brian said that he didn't want to know anything about smile and that it was devil music for so long, and then eventually finished it, i'm not going to take him saying that a beach boys reunion will never happen too seriously.

i doubt it would ever come to an album, though. probably just some token concerts.

even that's kind of unlikely. leaving the wollongong show of the aus tour last year i got talking to a beaming woman who had just had a great time. in our conversation i mentioned mike love. "who?" so it occurs to me that most people probably wouldn't even know the difference between a beach boys show now and a beach boys show with the other two guys back in the lineup. a lot of people probably go to the shows now and think brian is one of them.

what would a beach boys reunion really mean when 'the beach boys' are actively touring anyway? maybe just sell a few more seats. yeah great to have the "chinese junk" part of somewhere near japan sung by the original vocalist again. the band just wasn't the same without him. (not that i'm hating on that song.)

that said if they ever want to reunite i'm fucking there. then again i'll be at anything vaguely related to the beach boys in any way whatsoever Grin

also, mike is very talented. for the man who co-wrote and sung most of the beach boys early hits, he cops a lot of slack. i'd like to see him finally release that mike love not war joint he's been talking about.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:02:46 AM by art rush » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2008, 10:40:57 AM »

I'd think that, were Mike,  Brian, Bruce and Al onstage in a 'reunion'-format, the ideal set would be:

1st half: a rockandrolling cornucopia of oldies but moldies. Think: Barbara-Ann, think: Help Me Rhonda, think: Good Vibrations.
2nd half: a live performance of the whole of 'Looking Back With Love'. Brian plays a keyboard that is not connected.

A man can dream.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2008, 01:16:56 PM »

I actually think that if everyone was genuinely up for it, then a BB reunion concert or even short tour could work...and could be a great occasion.

As for an album....I really doubt it...unless they released a live album with a small handful of new studio cuts rather than a full length studio album.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »

since brian said that he didn't want to know anything about smile and that it was devil music for so long, and then eventually finished it, i'm not going to take him saying that a beach boys reunion will never happen too seriously.

Exactly. It wasn't until Melinda and Brian's manager (whoever that is) "thought it was a good idea to finish SMiLE" did it come to fruition. If Melinda thought it would be a good idea to do a Beach Boys' reunion, you'd be amazed how quickly it could come about.

Brian: Hello, Al, do you wanna record some stuff for a new Beach Boys' album?
Al: Sure!

Brian: Hello, Bruce, do you wanna record some stuff for a new Beach Boys' album?
Bruce: Sure!

Brian: Hello, Mike, do you wanna record some stuff for a new Beach Boys' album?
Mike: Sure! When do you wanna start? Tommorrow? How about the next day?

SG7
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »

Hell will need to freeze over to have that scenario happen. It really is sad if you think about how easy it can happen, but just a few key people won't let it happen. Too much pride and ego going around. I will go out of my way and say Brian needs The Beach Boys more then The Beach Boys need him. Yes he has become a solo artist and has done great things outside of the band, but that doesn't change the fact that he founded that band. He has known those guys before anyone knew who Brian Wilson was outside Hawthorne, CA. I think what can make it difficult is that the only people that are around Brian see him as, the legend, the solo artist, the genius. Where is anyone in his camp to make him feel grounded?  I have come to the sad conclusion years ago that the people around Brian now don't really know him before the fame and before the myth surrounding him. The difference between them and the Beach Boys, is that the BB do know.
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »

also, carl and dennis are dead, so the beach boys can never properly reunite anyway.
just sayin'.
in the words of lisa simpson, "damn you surviving beach boys!".
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2008, 03:52:28 PM »

I'd think that, were Mike,  Brian, Bruce and Al onstage in a 'reunion'-format, the ideal set would be:

1st half: a rockandrolling cornucopia of oldies but moldies. Think: Barbara-Ann, think: Help Me Rhonda, think: Good Vibrations.
2nd half: a live performance of the whole of 'Looking Back With Love'. Brian plays a keyboard that is not connected.

A man can dream.

hahaha.

..is brian's keyboard really not connected?
i suspected as much.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »

Al. Hello Mike? Isn't it great Brian called about a new Beach Boys album?
Mike. (click)

So anyway is that still the case or do Al and Mike speak now the court case has been sorted?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2008, 05:09:02 PM »

I think Brian's reputation has taken a hit since he became a solo artist. In many people's eyes (except on BB/BW message boards), the creative genius or hit-making songwriter tag has left him. But he will always have that aura about him, that potential to come up with something great. People still want to be around him, in some way be a part of his world. And I'm telling you, all it will take is a simple phone call to anyone - including The Beach Boys - and they will come running. Now, I've already admitted that it will take some negotiating to get to that point. But, if it ever does, there will be a reunion. The ball is in Brian's court.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »

I have come to the sad conclusion years ago that the people around Brian now don't really know him before the fame and before the myth surrounding him. The difference between them and the Beach Boys, is that the BB do know.

They know, but since the early 70's, I don't think they really care.  That was about the point where Brian's primary purpose to the rest of the band was to be a cash cow.  Brian's current band may be in awe of him, just because he's Brian, but they also show more personal concern for his well being than the remaining Beach Boys have in years (especially true now that Carl and Dennis are gone).
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2008, 10:58:13 PM »

Imagine the stage setup....Brian sitting at a muted keyboard, Al on a guitar that can hardly be heard, Bruce at a plugged in keyboard that he stands behind and waves to the crowd while in his shorts, and Mike on lead vocals. I guess Dave Marks could take the lead as the only BB on stage contributing to the instrumentation.

What I would love to see would be Al on bass, David on guitar, Brian on keyboards, Mike on sax (ha), and Bruce on keyboards. Two keyboard players and maybe they could fill the sound. Add somone on drums and you have a legitimate band. Sadly it would be a bunch of sidememn doing the work with the "BB" standing around.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2008, 03:25:23 AM »

To be fair and irony-free -

I hope it won't happen. Because it coudn't be an occasion where, as if by magic, all rows, litigations, all strife and all insults would be instantaneously forgotten. It would be a painful thing to behold.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2008, 04:10:49 AM »

I've no doubt that Melinda helped push him into the direction of SMiLE....but we do know that Brian himself at a party suddenly (to everyone's surprise) started playing H&V...a piece of music he'd refused to discuss with Darian just a few weeks before as "inappropriate music". That story is corroborated by several people including Darian and Scott and I think Brian himself.

Then of course was the all-star tribute thing where Brian and the band played H&V on stage to a standing ovation...Brian has since stated that was when he realised that maybe the world was ready for SMiLE.

Again, I have no doubts that without encouragement and coaxing from Melinda he wouldn't have further touched SMiLE...but I don't think it was just Melinda's idea. It must have been around that time that the Blueboard had those posts from Brian about "I have a master plan for SMiLE" and "doing right by SMiLE" and "that may not mean an album release"....Brian seems to have had an idea to perform SMiLE live in some form or other dating back to that show where he realised H&V was much loved.

As for Brian's keyboard being muted...I don't know but I suspect it might have been in the distant past. At the SMiLE shows he actually played it a little, so it wasn't muted and was hooked up. I think he does like a keyboard there as a security blanket...and hell, if it helps him relax and give live performances then good for Brian and his keyboard.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2008, 04:54:19 AM »

For awhile Brian played the same chord again and again and again on an obviously muted keyboard. Honestly, I'd rather he pretend to play the keyboard than stand behind it clapping.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2008, 06:15:45 AM »

I think Brian's reputation has taken a hit since he became a solo artist. In many people's eyes (except on BB/BW message boards), the creative genius or hit-making songwriter tag has left him. But he will always have that aura about him, that potential to come up with something great. People still want to be around him, in some way be a part of his world. And I'm telling you, all it will take is a simple phone call to anyone - including The Beach Boys - and they will come running. Now, I've already admitted that it will take some negotiating to get to that point. But, if it ever does, there will be a reunion. The ball is in Brian's court.

I could not disagree with you more.  If anything, Brian's reputation has been enhanced over the past 10 years.

He's reclaimed his music.
He's reclaimed his legacy.
All Star Tribute to Brian Wilson
Musi-Cares
Songwriters Hall of Fame
UK Rock Hall of Fame
He overcame his demons and presented Smile live after 37 years and then released it
Kennedy Center Honors
That Lucky Old Sun

With all due respect, had he stayed with the Beach Boys, he'd be nothing but a prop, a sideshow circus bear trotted out by Mike and then shoved back to the side.  Carlin's book pretty well illustrates how the group felt about Brian during the Stars and Stripes era. 

Brian doesn't need the Beach Boys; the Beach Boys don't need Brian. 
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2008, 06:29:30 AM »

What I would love to see would be Al on bass, David on guitar, Brian on keyboards, Mike on sax (ha), and Bruce on keyboards. Two keyboard players and maybe they could fill the sound. Add somone on drums and you have a legitimate band. Sadly it would be a bunch of sidememn doing the work with the "BB" standing around.

It's a shame, because they could actually scare up a full band of instrumentation of authentic Beach Boys:

Brian: Piano
Al: Rhythm Guitar
Dave: Lead Guitar
Bruce: Keyboards
Blondie: Bass
Ricky: Drums
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2008, 07:00:53 AM »

.... and you even forgot Mike to play those 2 notes on the saxophone (hey, someone needs to blast out the - ehm - "solo" on Shut Down...  Grin   )

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2008, 07:05:57 AM »

Actually, Mike's lungs haven't been strong enough to play saxophone for at least a decade.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx