gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:29:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian comments on possibilities of a BB reunion  (Read 40330 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2008, 09:35:28 AM »

My memory is a little shaky on this, so if anyone can refresh it....Was it at the "reunion" on the Capitol Records rooftop where Brian mentioned to Mike that he (Brian) wrote some songs that he wanted Mike to hear. Or something like that. When I read things like that, or when Brian says things like that (out of range from his handlers), it makes me wonder...

I kind of doubt that he secretly wants to work with Mike. First of all, he's not always completely controlled by his handlers. Journalists who talk about interviewing him don't usually mention that there's anyone else in the room (or the deli). And brian has also done TV interviews (like Charlie Rose) where he could easily blurt something out about wanting to work with Mike if he wanted to. Also, Mike said at one point that he brought up the possibility of working with Mike, and Brian ended up bringing him finished songs to put lyrics to, and Mike said, "No, I thought we could sit down together and write, like the old days." Well, that's not how Brian works anymore. So it sounds like Mike is the one who put an end to that one.

To me, you have Mike Love, who hasn't even been able to get his album out and is traveling around singing old hits. Then you have Brian, who just put out a great solo album and continues to collaborate with people and create. Sounds to me like Mike needs Brian more than the other way around. Musically, I can't imagine it being very satisfying for the fans, either.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2008, 09:35:38 AM »

Well, why not?
I don't think the other surviving members have really proven that they are capable of producing a decent album without him. And his work with them was not that hot--it's better without them, for whatever reason(Brian's ego? Their ego? Both possibilities? Doesn't matter.)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2008, 09:40:19 AM »

They're both rich.

Mike needs Brian more than the other way around, though to be fair, I doubt if it's all dollar signs he's seeing. He is a nostalgic guy, and he probably does genuinely want to get over the hump and go back to the way he remembers it being. Problem is, their personalities and egos have always clashed , and if they were to get together, the same thing would happen again.
Let the Beach Boys-with-Brian go, I say. Nothing lasts forever.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2008, 09:40:41 AM »

When Brian says "I miss my band," I think he means he misses HIS band. He misses being in charge of those young guys who listened to him and sang and played what he wanted them to play. He misses being able to produce a whole album.

Misses HIS band. Misses being in charge. Misses guys who sang and played what he wanted them to play. Misses being able to produce a whole album.

Very interesting, Amy. I find them to be very revealing and relevant comments.

Don't twist my words, SJS. I'm not under the illusion that Brian did _everything_ on TLOS, but I don't think he sat there like a lump either. I think his ideas and actions are all over TLOS. I think his singing shows that he was engaged, and I think the music is very much his work. Yes, he had help, and he's probably very aware that he can't take control of an entire project the way he once did, but I think he was more involved in this than some people seem to believe. However, his current band provides an atmosphere where he doesn't have to compete with anyone else's ego or deal with old battles from the past. With a BBs reunion, he would probably relinquish some control, not because he chose to, but because his confidence might take a beating.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »

I just find it funny that Mike thinks it can be the good old days all over again if he works with Brian. That Brian he use to work with has been gone for a long time.
Maybe Mike is the ultimate Brianista.  Cheesy

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2008, 10:04:49 AM »

[Maybe Mike is the ultimate Brianista.  Cheesy

You may be onto something!   Cheesy  Mike seems to think that Brian will somehow transform into pre-Smile Brian (or maybe pre-1965 Brian is more accurate) as soon as they start collaborating. Like they're going to make a new "I Get Around," with Brian firmly at the controls, and it will go to number one, and then they'll tour together and get into all kinds of mischief and make lots of money.

And then Mike can say, "You see? My cousin Brian was there all along, but it took me, Mike Love--Brian Wilson's cousin-- to pull him out of his shell. As a follow-up, we'll be doing a song called Kokomo 2, which is just like Kokomo except not. It'll have music by Brian Wilson and lyrics by Mike Love. I'm Mike Love, by the way."
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2008, 10:27:31 AM »

[Maybe Mike is the ultimate Brianista.  Cheesy

You may be onto something!   Cheesy  Mike seems to think that Brian will somehow transform into pre-Smile Brian (or maybe pre-1965 Brian is more accurate) as soon as they start collaborating. Like they're going to make a new "I Get Around," with Brian firmly at the controls, and it will go to number one, and then they'll tour together and get into all kinds of mischief and make lots of money.

And then Mike can say, "You see? My cousin Brian was there all along, but it took me, Mike Love--Brian Wilson's cousin-- to pull him out of his shell. As a follow-up, we'll be doing a song called Kokomo 2, which is just like Kokomo except not. It'll have music by Brian Wilson and lyrics by Mike Love. I'm Mike Love, by the way."
Hey, for another "I Get Around" I'll tie Murry's corpse to a fake sound board!  Cheesy

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2008, 10:30:54 AM »

Mike seems to think that Brian will somehow transform into pre-Smile Brian (or maybe pre-1965 Brian is more accurate) as soon as they start collaborating. Like they're going to make a new "I Get Around," with Brian firmly at the controls, and it will go to number one, and then they'll tour together and get into all kinds of mischief and make lots of money.

A pre-Smile Brian (like Today, SD & SN, and Pet Sounds?). A new "I Get Around" (a No. 1 single, one of he greatest songs of all-time). Brian firmly at the controls (isn't he that now?). It will go to number one ("I hope it sells" - Brian Wilson 9/08). Make lots of money (that would get his wife off his back).

Gee, that sounds pretty good. Sign up Brian for that deal! Amy, you're starting to come around now.... police
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »

Sorry, I don't have the magazine to hand, so this is probably a pointless post but in response to the other topic about BW's comments on a BB reunion I wanted to add that in the new Mojo interview, BW comments that he misses the Beach Boys and sighs that although his new band are great, they're not the Beach Boys. Of course this doesn't make the prospect of a BB reunion any more likely but it's interesting to read that Wilson misses his old band.

Really?! Very interesting...
He doesn't have to, and doesn't want to be part of a reunion. More power to him. But this kind of respect for his old band is really welcome.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2008, 11:43:29 AM »

I'm sure he misses the Glory Days like mad.

Yes, I agree. And that can be great incentive.

Anyway, what I really wanted to post is that there are now three threads going on which are discussing the same thing. It's hard to separate them. Can they be combined? Mr. Moderator?

Yep.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »

"Heroes & Villains" did not bomb.  It was #12 on the US charts (& maybe #4 in UK?).

Not to mention #5 in Canada.  :D

Not bad, considering that NONE of their songs reached #1 here.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2008, 12:43:50 PM »

I really don't want a BBs reunion. It'll be the 70s all over again with Brian sitting in the back corner of the stage and being trot out front like a circus bear. Do we really want more of this?  Skip straight to 4:54. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIgyeJQ6peA&feature=related     

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »

Not much different than what happens a lot of times,now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2008, 09:37:21 PM »

Sheriff J S wrote

No, I was responding to The Other Anonymous's incorrect statement that "just about everyone else" has moved on. I just pointed out that Al has not.

By "just about everyone else", I am referring to the labels, critics and fans that made the Beach Boys the most successful during that early 60s period.

Al has his moments still yes, as does Mike, Brian, Jeff, Adrian and others who have done solo albums.

Not to my taste in 2008. Yours may vary.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2008, 11:27:50 PM »

I'm sure he misses the Glory Days like mad.

Yes, I agree. And that can be great incentive.

Anyway, what I really wanted to post is that there are now three threads going on which are discussing the same thing. It's hard to separate them. Can they be combined? Mr. Moderator?

Yep.

I was wondering what happened to the "Mike comments on his relations with Al & Brian" thread...I thought it had been deleted, but now I see they were combined!  Cheesy
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2008, 11:41:40 PM »

If all this happened....

1. Mike suddenly believes that a BBs setlist of the early 70s would be more commercial and hip in 2008
2. Brian's backing band is used
3. Brian writes most of the music
4. Brian produces and arranges with a little help from his band
5. Blondie, Ricky, Al and Dave Marks all join and contribute songs
6. Bruce quits (just kidding/who cares?)

....the Beach Boys would be red hot!!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2008, 01:14:21 AM »

Really, it should have happened 10 or even 20 years earlier, because what might have seemed occasionally strange and creepy even by the mid-eighties might now just be downright laughable. If I remember correctly, Mike is by now 67 or 68 years old. Sure, transcendental meditation has kept the guy pretty young, but probably not young enough to do it again in a convincing and not downright embarrassing way.

Now BW probably really misses his brothers and reuniting with Bruce Johnston will most likely not bring them back.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2008, 01:42:00 AM »

Can I suggest beige?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2008, 08:12:06 AM »

If all this happened....

1. Mike suddenly believes that a BBs setlist of the early 70s would be more commercial and hip in 2008

1. Mike & Bruce's setlists compared to Brian's have been very similar over the last few years
2. This would be a problem, a major problem
3. Isn't that what everybody (including Mike) wants?
4. Is workable, but a mutually agreeable co-producer is necessary
5. Blondie and Ricky aren't necessary, Al & David are essential
6. Yes, Bruce is also essential; you need his best song from the last 16 years

I wish I was an executive at a record company. I would make it my number one priority to pull this off. And then, when it all blows up, I'll be out on the streets! police
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »

If all this happened....

1. Mike & Bruce's setlists compared to Brian's have been very similar over the last few years
2. This would be a problem, a major problem
3. Isn't that what everybody (including Mike) wants?
4. Is workable, but a mutually agreeable co-producer is necessary
5. Blondie and Ricky aren't necessary, Al & David are essential
6. Yes, Bruce is also essential; you need his best song from the last 16 years

I wish I was an executive at a record company. I would make it my number one priority to pull this off. And then, when it all blows up, I'll be out on the streets! police

If there ever was a reunion, I'd rather have Mike not be involved. Have Carl's corpse take Mike's spot on stage. LOL  And Blondie and Ricky need to be part of it. And Ed Carter, Bobby Figueroa, Kowalski, Dragon Bros., Munoz, etc.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2008, 02:12:11 PM »

Can't have the Beach Boys without Mike.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »

Can't have the Beach Boys without Mike.

Unfortunately.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2008, 03:10:41 PM »

Nothing will ever happen unless the tough managment agrees.

Hey Sheriff, what do you mean by Bruce's best song of the last 16 years? Huh
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 03:21:56 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »

I really don't want a BBs reunion. It'll be the 70s all over again with Brian sitting in the back corner of the stage and being trot out front like a circus bear. Do we really want more of this?  Skip straight to 4:54. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIgyeJQ6peA&feature=related
Guess what, the handlers back then said the same that they say today:
"Hey, would you rather have Brian sitting on his ass all day long staring at the wall?"
"But the new album is great, what more could you ask for?"

Some things never change. Brian's actually comfortable not having to make decisions or acting like an adult. What bugs him are those who believe he's still got an ace up his sleeve that will be presented to the world if only he could do what he really wants etc. He doesn't want do do anything. Let's leave him alone and listen to his records.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2008, 04:55:35 PM »

Hey Sheriff, what do you mean by Bruce's best song of the last 16 years? Huh

Well, I'm basing the success of a future Beach Boys' album on the contributions of all the members. I would like to see Mike, Al, David, and Bruce each contribute one song - the rest being Brian's and one or two covers. I figured over the last 16 years (since the release of SIP), Bruce has written at least a couple of decent songs. Maybe even one great one. I want THAT song on the album!

I know they're old, I know they've failed in the late 70's, 80's and 90's, and I know they haven't done anything "great" in a long, long time. And, I know I appear naive. But I still have faith, that given one last chance, and hopefully learning from their past mistakes, that they could rise to the occasion and pull off something worthwhile. But, I can't stress enough how important the co-producer would be in the process.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx