gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680881 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:14:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian comments on possibilities of a BB reunion  (Read 40688 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2008, 12:36:14 AM »

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/victoria/story.html?id=f22081d4-88bb-4c05-8a46-edcecbc92a8e&p=2

Mike mentions Al & Brian in this article...here's an excerpt:

Legal strife has plagued the Beach Boys repeatedly. Earlier this year, Love and Jardine settled a five-year battle over the use of the band's name. Love sued Jardine in 2003, saying his former band-mate used the name to advertise concerts even though Love was the sole licensee.

Love says the two are friends today. "There was definitely a schism [between me and Jardine] that lasted a number of years," Love added. "But that's been overcome. The future is wide open."

And what about Brian Wilson? Might he ever rejoin his old bandmates on the concert stage?

"That would be great," Love said without hesitation. "We're not opposed to Brian being a part of it. But he's got his own band. He just came out with a solo album [That Lucky Old Sun]. He's been on the solo artist trail a while. We wish him well. And if it happens, it happens."

And then Love, perhaps smarting over past skirmishes, added: "The thing is, [Brian] was most successful when he collaborated in writing with his cousin Mike. That's me."

absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:40:57 AM »

You know, that's the thing with Mike that grates with so many people. He actually said something nice and generous about Brian's post-BB career, even mentioned he has a new album out.....but then can't resist saying that Brian was more successful when he they wrote songs together.

Yeah...but maybe Brian is *happier* now than when he was writing pop songs? Most truly creative writers end up having to either leave bands or undertake side projects just to stay sane.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:46:15 AM »

From a recent article:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24299918-2902,00.html

"There isn't anybody I know -- my publicist, my wife, my managers, myself, my current group -- I don't think any of us think there is any hope for a Beach Boys reunion," Wilson says vehemently over the phone from his home in Los Angeles where his neighbours include Robbie Williams, Paul Stanley and Avril Lavigne.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:17:54 AM »

I don't think too many people attach too much value anymore to statements that Brian makes in interviews...

If someone would offer the guys a nice sum to do a few reunion shows (not that that's likely to happen though), I'm sure they'll all be there.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:25:34 AM by shelter » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:23:38 AM »

"The thing is, [Brian] was most successful when he collaborated in writing with his cousin Mike. That's me."

Yeah, I guess the last two albums with at least a handful of Brian & Mike compositions (MIU Album and Keepin' The Summer Alive) really proved his point...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 03:01:27 AM »

15 Big Ones, that's what you get from a Beach Boys reunion. 32 years later, it could be even worse. In terms of a reunion as a concert act only, I'd much rather see a well done DVD set of some never-seen-before live footage from the seventies and early eighties than these guys actually going on the road as The Beach boys again.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:07:44 AM »

Try telling those going to the 100 plus Mike and Bruce shows a year since 1998 that the Beach Boys are getting back together. No change to the status quo IMO.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:25:33 AM »

You could get 47 Big ones

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 04:19:23 AM »

Actually, if it's as good as "I'm Into Something Good"... why not?  Cheesy
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:08:44 AM »

Actually, if it's as good as "I'm Into Something Good"... why not?  Cheesy
'Proud Mary' would finally find a home....  Grin

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 05:52:57 AM »

And "Duke Of Earl"!
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:03:30 AM »

yep, Brian was all at sea without having Mike to help him! Ended up with rubbish like Pet Sounds.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:58:04 AM »

yep, Brian was all at sea without having Mike to help him! Ended up with rubbish like Pet Sounds.

And a Grammy award a few years ago.  Roll Eyes

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 07:11:47 AM »

I'm happy for them (Love, Jardine, Wilson). It seems that their problems (or many of them) have been overcome and they can respect each other again. What will happen? Nobody knows. Brian doesn't seem to be a Beach Boy anymore. Al probably would like and he also was the one who brought up the reunion-rumours back then. But as long as they are happy and "friends" (to quote Mike), it's great for them

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 07:17:07 AM »

I love and respect Mike, But Gosh Darn I think Sunflower was the only time that he was ever really about the music.

Maybe if Sunflower was a success upon release he might have changed.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 07:22:52 AM »

I don't think too many people attach too much value anymore to statements that Brian makes in interviews...

If someone would offer the guys a nice sum to do a few reunion shows (not that that's likely to happen though), I'm sure they'll all be there.

I remember reading about 3 years ago in a tabloid when I wasn't a Beach Boys fan, that the surviving Beach Boys were offered 60 million to do a final tour..Not sure how much truth is in that. But I remember thinking how stupid they must be to turn it down.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 07:59:04 AM »

And "Duke Of Earl"!

What about some good-time remakes of The Little Old Lady From Passadena and Be True To Your School? And now that everything's settled, I'm sure that Al might want to come along to do another version of Help Me, Rhonda, 'cause when that one first came out he did the lead vocal, you know? As another highlight, Brian will have Mike sing I Am A Little Teapot, which Bruce Johnston will later remember with great enthusiasm as "one of those typical Brian moments" in the accompanying documentary film.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 08:47:23 AM »

Mike was the collab for the stuff that sold, but Van Dyke, Asher, hell even Murray and now Scott Bennett (you can argue that one) co-wrote the high-end art that put Brian among the Gods.

He ought to realise there's more to entertainment than making real good bread.

“We live in divisive times.”
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 08:56:52 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if a reunion of some kind happened one of these days... They just *have* to do something again.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:58:32 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 09:04:26 AM »

"There isn't anybody I know -- my publicist, my wife, my managers, myself, my current group -- I don't think any of us think there is any hope for a Beach Boys reunion," Wilson says vehemently over the phone from his home in Los Angeles where his neighbours include Robbie Williams, Paul Stanley and Avril Lavigne.
1)  Brian doesn't include himself in that list -  oooooh, conspiracy theory!
2)  What the f*** has a list of Brian's neighbours got to do with that statement?
3)  Hey -  I wonder what Robbie Williams, Paul Stanley and Avril Lavigne think about a Beach Boys re-union?

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 09:16:35 AM »

"There isn't anybody I know -- my publicist, my wife, my managers, myself, my current group -- I don't think any of us think there is any hope for a Beach Boys reunion,"
)  Brian doesn't include himself in that list -  oooooh, conspiracy theory!

Uhh...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 09:22:48 AM »

Yeah, but he's(has) a real cool head

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 10:31:09 AM »

I love and respect Mike, But Gosh Darn I think Sunflower was the only time that he was ever really about the music.

Maybe if Sunflower was a success upon release he might have changed.

What about Holland? Big Sur is a pretty good tune. One of the only songs that Mike wrote on his own that I actually like.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 10:43:29 AM »

Mike was the collab for the stuff that sold...

Here's a few titles (off the top of my head) that "sold" but had no writing contributions from Mike:

"Little Deuce Coupe"

"Surfer Girl"

"Don't Worry Baby"

"In My Room"

...  shall I go on?  Wink  Brian wrote these by himself, or with another lyrics collaborator.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 10:45:07 AM »

The last "successful" collaboration Mike had with Brian was Do It Again, forty years ago.  As the poster above pointed out, his subsequent collaborations on Sunflower, Holland, Keepin the Summer Alive and everything inbetwee were all stiffs in terms of commercial success.  So to somehow assume that if they collaborated again today they would be any more successful than the past forty years of collaborations, or more successful than Brian's solo efforts, is delusional.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx