gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:50:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian comments on possibilities of a BB reunion  (Read 40507 times)
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 11:24:11 AM »

The last "successful" collaboration Mike had with Brian was Do It Again, forty years ago.
The last top 20 hit Brian ever wrote was "Do It Again".  Smiley

C'mon, folks, this is silly. 'Good Vibrations' with lyrics written by VDP would still have been a #1 hit, and 'Heroes and Villains' with lyrics by Mike Love would have bombed anyway. Mike was around, did a good job when requested and that's what matters.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 11:28:08 AM »

The last "successful" collaboration Mike had with Brian was Do It Again, forty years ago.

C'mon, folks, this is silly. 'Good Vibrations' with lyrics written by VDP would still have been a #1 hit, and 'Heroes and Villains' with lyrics by Mike Love would have bombed anyway. Mike was around, did a good job when requested and that's what matters.
True, but what is bothersome about it is a) the endless insecure blowing smoke up his own ass that he does and b)the not-so-subtle manipulation he's trying to pull and c)his really rather annoying obsession with big hits.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 12:43:43 PM »

I think with the right producer, and contributions from all of the guys, they could come up with a nice album. Obviously, they know it would be their last chance, and I think they would rise to the occasion - both vocally and songwriting-wise - and maybe have a little fun in the process.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »

From 1998 onwards, Brian has been very clear in every interview I've ever seen or read that he won't rejoin the BB's.

Mike has made the "generous" offer for years, "Brian, come and join us for just a few dates a year"

The best from Brian was in a BBC documentary a few years ago, where he was talkative and on form...and he was asked why he wouldn't join the BB's again...and he said, "You wanna know the answer? I can't stand being around Mike Love for more than five minutes".
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 12:53:47 PM »

I love and respect Mike, But Gosh Darn I think Sunflower was the only time that he was ever really about the music.

Maybe if Sunflower was a success upon release he might have changed.

What about Holland? Big Sur is a pretty good tune. One of the only songs that Mike wrote on his own that I actually like.

Word. Whenever it comes on, I always think, "We could use some more stuff by that guy." Artistic, appealing, heartfelt: Big Sur am written by Bizarro Mike Love!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 12:57:11 PM »

True, but what is bothersome about it is a) the endless insecure blowing smoke up his own ass that he does and b)the not-so-subtle manipulation he's trying to pull and c)his really rather annoying obsession with big hits.
See, that's what happens when you can't hide your assholeness behind mental illness, people'll judge you. Maybe Mike should be still hanging on to that orange juice jug.  Smiley

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 01:10:58 PM »

... 'Heroes and Villains' with lyrics by Mike Love would have bombed anyway.

"Heroes & Villains" did not bomb.  It was #12 on the US charts (& maybe #4 in UK?).

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 01:23:58 PM »

"Heroes & Villains" did not bomb.  It was #12 on the US charts (& maybe #4 in UK?).

Well, I think Capitol really worked (manipulated) the charts on this one; I bet their promo guys yanked alot of favors from radio programmers to report the record top 10, top 20 reports; it probably cost them some bucks, too. It just didn't get that much airplay; not where I was, anyway (Northern California).

Of all the Beach Boys 60's singles, this one sounded the weirdest on radio. I can see why it wasn't a big hit. It's a great track, though, and the vocals are brilliant, but the chorus is weak.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 01:33:24 PM »

Relative to "Good Vibrations", it bombed big time.  Partly because it took so long to release, and partly because the released cut wasn't as good as the "Cantina" version. 

Had the Capital lawsuit not happened, and Brian had released the "Cantina" version when he finished it in February, I think Heroes would have hit at least top 5, if not the top spot.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 02:26:23 PM »

I think with the right producer, and contributions from all of the guys, they could come up with a nice album. Obviously, they know it would be their last chance, and I think they would rise to the occasion - both vocally and songwriting-wise - and maybe have a little fun in the process.

I wish it would happen, personally. It may not be a popular opinion, but to me it would provide closure.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »

And what's even better is that to most people, Brian was the most 'successful' when he did Pet Sounds and Smile, both of which had little to do with Mike-except maybe help Brian decide against releasing the latter.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »

You know what really annoys me about the meme that Brian can only be commercial with Mike (Bruce has said something along these lines too)...is that the argument doesn't even work on its own terms.  I agree that Brian does his best work with collaborators, and that those collaborators were a lot of why the '60s stuff translated to the teen market.  Fair enough.  Mike did excellent work here.  But Mike was not the only person responsible.  Roger Christian (in my view possibly the greatest Beach Boys lyricist of all time) did "Little Deuce Coupe," "Shut Down," and "Don't Worry Baby."  Gary Usher on "In My Room.  Tony Asher on "Wouldn't It Be Nice," of course.  And we don't know to what extent Mike actually contributed to all those extra songs he got his name on in the early '90s.  Jardine alleged in an interview around that time that Brian would come in with a completed song and Mike would insisted on making one or two changes.  Mike would probably say that's what made it commercial, but there's no real evidence of that.  What the evidence does show is that when Brian had A collaborator -- not just Mike -- that were able to translate his ideas to the marketplace, he did well there.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 04:00:02 PM »

Well, no, you probably aren't going to find the names Christian, Usher, or Asher mentioned in an interview with Mike Love. Or the names Parks, Reily, or Almer.

That is because when Mike talks about his collaborations with Brian, he is responding to a question from the interviewer about any future songwriting collaborations betweeen MIKE and Brian. So, naturally, Mike will talk about his resume with Brian, not the other collaborators. I don't think Mike should be obligated to go out of his way to recognize Brian's other collaborators. And, when Mike talks about himself having the most "successful"  collaborations, I get the impression he is talking quantity, not quality. Quality is very subjective, even for Mike Love. But, the record shows that Brian has more collaborations with Mike than anyone else. That's a fact. And, probably more quality ones. But, again, that's a matter of opinion.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 04:58:36 PM »

Relative to "Good Vibrations", it bombed big time.  Partly because it took so long to release, and partly because the released cut wasn't as good as the "Cantina" version. 

Had the Capital lawsuit not happened, and Brian had released the "Cantina" version when he finished it in February, I think Heroes would have hit at least top 5, if not the top spot.
Yeah, February would be better than July. But... the Cantina version has no chorus! What would hook people into the song, forced laughs in a LA studio? Well, we'll never know.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 05:13:24 PM »

All Mike's been saying is "Brian was most successful when he collaborated in writing with me." I won't get into the math/facts angle, but can't the guy be proud of what he achieved, even if it was for five meager years in the sixties?

"Oh, but what he REALLY means is that Brian can't succeed without him"

Well, whenever he says that out loud, I'll judge accordingly. That's not what he's saying here, or ever did (?).

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 05:15:40 PM »

Everyone is way past their prime. Maybe I'd dig it for sentimental reasons. For musical reasons, I wish they'd release archival material.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »

Their last chance came and went back in the mid-90's.  They decided to go with a country album of covers of their own songs.  I think it is pretty delusional to think at this point they could put anything together that is noteworthy.  I'm quite content at just listening to the music they've already created rather then shudder at another album on par with Summer In Paradise.  *shudder*

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »

Brian and Mike will never have another hit, even if they write a song a day for the next 20 years. Some of them would be well-loved by Beach Boys fans, but they'd never hit the charts. Brian and Van Dyke might, just because Van Dyke is still hip, and in that sense is the most commercial former Brian collaborator there is.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2008, 07:23:48 PM »

The only way an album could work would be if Brian came up with a bunch of songs with his band (similar to what he was doing prior to TLOS), cut the tracks and brought the guys in to sing.  That's the only way...Mike may be right that Brian had the most success while collaberating with him, but it should also be noted that the Beach Boys were the most successful when Brian was calling the shots. 

The only two band members with songwriting skill even remotely approaching Brian's are sadly dead.  Brian's band seems to bring out the best in Brian creatively, so any project would have to involve them.  Bring the boys in to sing Brian's songs, with Brian's band doing the backing tracks, and you may have something.  Otherwise, I just can't see it working. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »

Brian and Van Dyke might, just because Van Dyke is still hip, and in that sense is the most commercial former Brian collaborator there is.

Van Dyke Parks is commercial? Shocked
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »

Hip and commercial aren't the same thing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2008, 07:42:43 PM »

Everyone is way past their prime. Maybe I'd dig it for sentimental reasons. For musical reasons, I wish they'd release archival material.
A-fucking-men. (Although I don't know if I'd personally even dig it for sentimental reasons, two of the key guys being dead.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2008, 07:44:57 PM »

I'm sure if Brian decides to write a song about high school girls, hot rods and surfing, Mike will get the call!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2008, 07:48:36 PM »

The only way an album could work would be if Brian came up with a bunch of songs with his band (similar to what he was doing prior to TLOS), cut the tracks and brought the guys in to sing.  That's the only way...Mike may be right that Brian had the most success while collaberating with him, but it should also be noted that the Beach Boys were the most successful when Brian was calling the shots. 

The only two band members with songwriting skill even remotely approaching Brian's are sadly dead.  Brian's band seems to bring out the best in Brian creatively, so any project would have to involve them.  Bring the boys in to sing Brian's songs, with Brian's band doing the backing tracks, and you may have something.  Otherwise, I just can't see it working. 

Some of your post I completely agree with, other parts....

First, yes, have Brian's band do the backing tracks and have the guys come in to do the vocals. Sure. Absolutely. That's how Brian always worked best. From the Wrecking Crew to his band now. That's been Brian's best formula for success. And I think Mike, Al, and Bruce could do the tracks justice - vocally. As I mentioned above, they would know what's at stake; they would "buckle down". Don't judge their studio voices by their "coasting" live voices. And with technology....

Where I don't agree is that Mike, Al, Bruce, and maybe David wouldn't be able to contribute some quality material. Yes, Dennis and Carl were good songwriters, and can't be replaced. But all you're asking is for one song from each. Just one. Those guys HAVE TO HAVE ONE SONG with merit! I have at least that much faith in them.

It hurts me to say this but the stumbling block would be Mike Love. Mike would demand too much, and he would end up alienating a lot of people, or, the worst case scenario would be Brian/Melinda taking their ball and going home. Mike would wanna be the Executive Producer, the chief or sole lyricist, and he might want veto power over the final track selection for the album. Mike hasn't been plugging away for the last 47 years as this undying Beach Boy to surrender the power he has acquired. I can see "creative differences", yes....
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2008, 07:51:27 PM »

I'm sure if Brian decides to write a song about high school girls, hot rods and surfing, Mike will get the call!

Do you mean like "Desert Drive" and "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl"?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx