gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 01:35:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and astrology / astronomy  (Read 1641 times)
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2008, 12:25:50 AM »

I was just wondering the extent to which Brian was into his astronomy. I know from published facts that he was interested in telescopes when he was younger and wanted to open a 24-hour telescope shop at one stage in the late 60s. The universe has also crept into a few songs -notably Solar System and There's So Many, and maybe even the lyrics of Till I Die. Out of Brian's lyrics these are some of my favorite. Other than Brian May, it's an odd pursuit for a rock star, like going to public libraries.

Another aspect is to what extent Brian is rational - I understand that he had an astrologer. Was he interested in astrology or astronomy, or both? I usually thought the two were incompatible, with astronomers angrily denouncing the other. As this vague mysticism seems to form the basis of loony accusations against the Beach Boys I thought it would be interesting if anyone knows what the truth of this is.

As for Brian nowadays, I guess he doesn't do either scientific inquiry or astrology any more?
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »

In the 1960s part of rejection of the dominant culture  and seeking of "enlightenment" was getting into alterative things like astrology.  Tarot, numerology, etc enjoyed expanded popularity among celebrities and pop musicians.  If you enjoy magical thinking, it's great stuff.

As recently as the 1980s an American president and his wife had an astrologer on retainer to help them make policy decisions. Could it be a California connection?

Astrology remains popular in some circles, but I haven't heard of Brian still being into it.
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:56:19 AM »

As stated by Mr. Darro in the SMiLE documentary,Brian was also interested in Metaphysics.
Which I've been heavily involved with since reading "Seth Speaks" by Jane Roberts back in 1977.
In fact,you now have a host of "Energy Personality Essence" Teachers to expand your awareness of SELF from since  Jane Roberts passed away in 1984 ending her channeling of Seth.
But now Kris and Elias are with us as channeled by Serge Grandbois and Mary Ennis respectively.
I'm sure Brian has dabbled in Metaphysics.........?

Cheers,
Big Bri

"You Create Your Own Reality........"   Seth  "The Nature of Personal Reality,a Seth book"
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:22:52 PM »

Tim White's book "Nearest Faraway Place" mentions that Murry bought Brian a telescope as a present when he was a kid.  Murry wanted to watch the above-ground nuclear tests then being done in Las Vegas, so they could share that experience together as a form of father-son bonding.  I'm not sure how well you could see Las Vegas mushroom clouds from Hawthorne, anyways.  But it did spark an interest in star-gazing.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 06:21:34 PM »

Also, Being with the One you Love could be in that catagory (originally sung: Doin time on Planet Earth)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx