gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:47:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Haven Gillespie, Brian's favorite songwriter?  (Read 1817 times)
BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »

Haven Gillespie has a big influence on Brian's music, among others songwriters;
He's a really talented composer and lyricist who wrote a bunch of classics and worked for famous artists.
Well known for Christmas songs, "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town", he often worked with his collaborator Beasley Smith,
"Old Man River", "The Old Master Painter", "That Lucky Old Sun"...

more infos:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haven_Gillespie
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:10:48 AM »

And I did notice that both "That Lucky Old Sun" and "You Are My Sunshine" are on the current CD version of Ray Charles's Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music...inneresting....

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »

"Old Man River"...  by Kern/Hammerstein, right?

Another Ray Charles oddity- anyone ever notice he did a song called "Kiss Me Baby"- sometimes given as "Kiss-A Me Baby"?  Although it's not the Beach Boys song, the only time I ever found a songwriter credit on it, it was "Wilson" (and I think it was even "B.Wilson"!).

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 05:19:07 PM »

"Old Man River"...  by Kern/Hammerstein, right?

Another Ray Charles oddity- anyone ever notice he did a song called "Kiss Me Baby"- sometimes given as "Kiss-A Me Baby"?  Although it's not the Beach Boys song, the only time I ever found a songwriter credit on it, it was "Wilson" (and I think it was even "B.Wilson"!).

Yep Old Man River is indeed Kern/Hammerstein II

According to All Music Guide, Kiss Me Baby is composed by "Ray Charles": http://www.allmusicguide.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=33:wbfqx08aldte and http://www.allmusicguide.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=33:apfuxqlsldhe

But who knows, you may still be right. All Music Guide ain't the most reliable website going around
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 05:29:29 PM »

And, Ray Charles performed "Sail On Sailor" on The Beach Boys 25th Anniversary Special....
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx