gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:36:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anybody heard, or does anybody have "The Many Moods of Murry Wilson?"  (Read 6645 times)
coltthundar
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »

I'm dying to hear this album. Love the cover. Apparently it has a similar flavour to Ray Conniff.

FRESH ZEN AIR AROUND MY HEAD....
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 03:43:47 PM »

It's very much like those kinds of schmaltz albums, esp. Hollyridge Strings.

I was in Princeton Record Exchange about ten years ago, and my wife and I found this gem in the Beach Boys section. The price: $29.99. Still in the shrink wrap (NOT sealed), with "F R E E" stamped in the corner -- a telltale sign it was one of Capitol's promo pressings. (I've seen others.) The vinyl was pristine -- hell, who would play it anyway? Smiley

Some time ago a guy in Massachusetts heard I had it, and he e-mailed me and asked if there's any way I'd lend it to him so he could burn it to a CD. He wanted the cleanest copy he could find. I asked for a huge favor in return, and so I sent him the record. He asked if he could take the shrink-wrap off because it wouldn't scan properly with the wrap. I said yeah, go for it. Sure enough, the guy did the huge favor I asked him, and he sent the record back with one of the CDs he burned -- complete with the front and back artwork, the notes on the back, and even a replica Capitol label on the CD. (Really, chances are if you have a CD copy of TMMOMW, it probably came from this guy's copy.)

A few notes of interest...there's a cover of "The Warmth Of The Sun" on it. Also, the album has "Italia," an Al Jardine instrumental. Finally, both sides contain an instrumental written by some guy named Eck who was a friend of Murry's. The guy was a plumber, hence "The Plumber's Tune."

heh...a few years ago, my wife and I had some Brianistas over for a party, and I popped in some BB-friendly CDs in the CD changer and hit "Random." A couple of guests arrived late, and one said to the other, "Hey, you recognize that?" "Yeah, it's that Murry Wilson CD we listened to on the way up!"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:00:48 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:03:31 PM »

My favorite cut is The Happy Song, perhaps by the same plumber, I can't remember. But if you ever need a cheesy, overly-perky theme for a game show, The Happy Song will make you very happy indeed.
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 04:07:51 PM »

Some years ago on eBay, auctioned off was a lead sheet of one of the songs on Murry's album in Brian's hand with the composer  listed as Brian Wilson (it wasn't Warmth Of The Sun). Anyone know what song this was?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:49:18 PM »

"Heartbreak Lane"

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:27:41 AM »

"Heartbreak Lane"

So is that really a Brian composition, and is it any good?

“We live in divisive times.”
MBE
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 12:48:37 AM »

It's been said Brian wrote that Italia song with Al too, but I think Murry would have played it up had Brian really written those songs. Besides they sound nothing like his style. The album is pretty boring, if well executed.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 02:47:02 AM »

My favourite Murry Wilson song is not on there - 'The Colonels song' a KFC jungle, probably because I like KFC..

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 04:33:34 AM »

This album is really boring. I have to say I like Italia the best.

And I agree with matt-zeus, The Colonel's Song is much better than anything on Many Moods.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 07:15:49 AM »

I just did a quick listen to the album. Alot of the material is just normal generic stuff. But, Heartbreak Lane and especially Island In The Sky stand out. In fact, Island In The Sky bears a resemblance to Til I Die. The sophisticated chord progressions (the bridge to Hearbreak Lane goes in some unexpected directions and is not a normal 8 bar section) lead me to believe that Brian may have contributed two (uncredited) songs to this album. Murry was a songwriter, but he was no Henry Mancini.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:18:46 AM by JB Wilojarston » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 09:39:44 AM »

heh...a few years ago, my wife and I had some Brianistas over for a party, and I popped in some BB-friendly CDs in the CD changer and hit "Random." A couple of guests arrived late, and one said to the other, "Hey, you recognize that?" "Yeah, it's that Murry Wilson CD we listened to on the way up!"

Thanks for that. Whenever I'm going to think again I'm going over the top in terms of my own Beach Boy mania I will just have to gently remind myself that there's actually people playing the Murry Wilson record on their car stereo. Smiley
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »

To really appreciate this record you have to wear a smoking jacket and have a few martinis. 
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 10:31:52 AM »

It plays on an endlesss loop tape in my home elevator.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 11:45:07 AM »

The Murry album is now being planned for reissue on CD by Ashley Warren thru the Astralwerks label.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »

Was reissued on CD in Japan a coupla years ago.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »

This is my guilty pleasure when it comes to um... nice tunes in a responsible AOR setting without the evil weed...

any more fans out there?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 01:11:10 PM »

Heard it a few years ago. Not intending to listen again soon.

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 01:22:17 PM »

I have a really nice copy of the Murry album on vinyl; I've actually never listened to it.  I have the Gary Usher album with a different (not as cool) cover.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »

a good friend of mine has an LP copy. it is also stamped "FREE" as a previous poster said.
it's basically the sort of thing you'd skim right past if you didn't know who murry was.
fairly bland instrumental sort of stuff. still, it's an awesome obscurity to own if you can get your hands on it.
does anyone know how murry talked capitol into releasing it? probably just to shut him up, hey.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 10:43:22 AM »

a good friend of mine has an LP copy. it is also stamped "FREE" as a previous poster said.
it's basically the sort of thing you'd skim right past if you didn't know who murry was.
fairly bland instrumental sort of stuff. still, it's an awesome obscurity to own if you can get your hands on it.
does anyone know how murry talked capitol into releasing it? probably just to shut him up, hey.

First, he made the Capitol A&R head honcho defecate on a copy of The News Of The World.
Then, he threatened to take his glass eye out.
The exec simply cut his losses at that point.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 12:33:08 PM »

Cheesy

I think the loss was subtracted from Beach Boys's royalties.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 12:48:50 PM »

Cheesy

I think the loss was subtracted from Beach Boys's royalties.

Was that the previous Black Monday in the USA? I mean, when the BBs stock nosedived and nearly surfaced again amongst the antipodes?
The current crisis is beer money compared to THAT one...

art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »

i heard brian went away to mexico and murry had spent all the money brian gave him to buy paper plates and defecate on them on glass eyes and recording equipment instead, and when he came back brian was really angry until he heard "the plumber's tune" and admitted murry was on to something. there's also this creepy bootleg of brian bursting in during the "Betty's Waltz" sessions and trying to boss him around.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 10:03:08 AM »

art, my friend, that is the most intriguing explanation of the history of the album that I've ever seen. Thank you for your insights; it sure gives listening to schmaltz another point-of-view of the mind of Murry; he's a genius too, ya know.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 10:10:05 AM »

I heard that when you play 'Two Step, Side Step' backwards at 16 rpm, you get a speech from Charles Manson, with nothing but praise about the sheer talent that Murry has.
Could that be true?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx