gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:53:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New ESQ issue on Dennis received today.....fantastic cd with it.  (Read 2253 times)
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2008, 02:15:30 PM »

Anyone else get one yet? Really interesting interviews and tho I haven't listened to it yet, the cd looks really great!!
Thanks to ESQ as always!!!!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 04:54:40 AM »

Just listening to the CD now. Some very good stuff on there. Too early to judge overall but I'm very happy!

ESQ is a superb product. I'm not always a fan of the single-theme issues like this (I love variety) but I guess there is a reason and a good one for this issue being the way it is. Enlightening reading.

What with the many CDs ESQ now gives away, I wonder if Mike and Al's new albums could get a fan distribution in this way? No sign of either getting an official release otherwise   Undecided Embarrassed Cry Huh

April 2004's ESQ CD, also a Dennis tribute, included Al's acoustic California (Saga) which was stunning. The best thing I've heard Al do and one of the best tracks I've heard on any giveaway CD, ever.

Other fan mags could learn a lot from ESQ.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:03:27 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 06:47:04 AM »

Some pretty poor stuff on the cd but i liked paul steel/kalinich and carnie/brian

Edition itself is superb and a must read for any dennis fan. really enjoyed it

Lady
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:24:48 AM »

The CD is very good.  Of course, it's all subject to individual taste, but I particularly like "I Sail Away" (David Marks w/Al Jardine); The Ladykillers Beatle-esque version of "Celebrate The News" and the harmonies on "Forever."
Jez Graham
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 05:55:03 AM »

I sure am glad I got my subscription going again. Great issue with lots of interviews about POB/Bambu. Great insight from the the team who worked with Dennis including one of my all time favorite keyboard players Carli Munoz who explains the spiritual and creative vibe that went into this  music. The CD has some real gems including Alan Boyd's  beautiful and haunting piano ballad  Lost On The moon, and an amazing collaboration between Paul Steel and Stephen Kalinich called Ocean.

Jez
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 09:15:37 AM »

I loved John Hanlon's tale of the search for and rediscovery of Holy Man - great story.  Didn't realize Carl, Dennis, Kalinich and Jim Dutch all tried to write lyrics for it back in 75-76, from Jakobson's account.  Makes me think about how BB history might have been different if 15 Big Ones had come out as a double LP with River Song, Holy Man, Pacific Ocean Blues and Rainbows on it.  Then again, maybe BB history would have been exactly the same.

Jim Guercio takes credit for the Beach Boys live comeback in 1974 and refocussing the stage show on the oldies - and here I always thought Mike Love was responsible for that!  Also says Blondie left because he didn't agree on the oldies direction.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:04:48 AM »

Two sides. Blondie has said he was insulted and slapped and decided he didn't need that.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx