gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:49:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sweet Mountain  (Read 7344 times)
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2006, 12:18:27 PM »

Can anyone give me some more info about this song. I love it for its weird production, great tune and wonderful tag - but how much of it did Brian contribute?

Many sources say Brian did little on that album, and that Sandler had a big hand in it, but does anyone know how this song came together and who did what?
Are the vocals at the end all Brian and the girls or are other Beach Boys involved? Is that Mike doing the bass vocals or are they Brian too?

(I did try the Stephen Desper thread but didn't get a response - don't know if its dealt with in his book).

Anyone? I love that song....
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 12:19:53 PM »

Have you heard the demo?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 12:20:22 PM »

i've read somewhere that mike/brian did backing. i've actually never had the pleasure of hearing it but envy you...i would love to have a copy of the American Spring stuff. I've heard the Cameron Micheal Parke's version

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 01:09:46 PM »

Have you heard the demo?

Demo of "Sweet Mountain" ?

Where dat den ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 01:15:24 PM »

Sorry, guys.
I was thinking "Awake".
 Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »

Doh!
Jason
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 01:20:27 PM »

If that Brian/David Sandler performance of Awake is a demo, then that's the damn best demo Brian ever had a hand in.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 01:21:59 PM »

"Blew my coool. Blew it BAAAD".

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 01:42:20 PM »

If that Brian/David Sandler performance of Awake is a demo, then that's the damn best demo Brian ever had a hand in.

No Sandler on that - just Brian triple-tracked. Tape op was Diane

Jason
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 01:43:25 PM »

Then that Brian on the intro is a man whose voice was really changing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 01:48:02 PM »

Then that Brian on the intro is a man whose voice was really changing.

Not to these ears... standard issue 1971 BW.

Ummmm... maybe you're thinking of "Silly Walls" ? That's Brian & Sandler.

Jason
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 01:48:45 PM »

Weren't your ears the same ones that told you that his voice was changing on the single with Jan Berry in '70?

I thought Silly Walls was a Brian/Sandler/Spring thing.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 01:50:44 PM by Dr. UNH, Esq. aka Jason » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 01:54:07 PM »

Yup. Like I said, standard 1971-issue BW. Transitional..

Jason
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 01:57:27 PM »

Well, we all know he made the BIG change in '74.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 02:00:30 PM »

Very late 74, more early '75 - there's a demo of "California Feeling" from late '74 and he's in great voice on that. Go figure.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 03:37:43 PM »

Much like he sounded like hell on 15BO and Love You, yet sounded smooth on "Macthpoint".

I've never *ever* heard the CF demo with Brian. I've always wondered how that sounded...hint...hint....*ahem*

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
al
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »

Sweet Mountain? Anyone? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 08:06:30 PM »

I LOVE the song as well. I'd love to learn more about it. What I'd like even more is a NM vinly copy of the American Spring album for less than $30.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 01:18:32 PM »

I love everything on the Spring album  but Superstar. Besides that, what a great album!
al
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 02:30:48 PM »

Can anyone give me some more info about this song. I love it for its weird production, great tune and wonderful tag - but how much of it did Brian contribute?

Many sources say Brian did little on that album, and that Sandler had a big hand in it, but does anyone know how this song came together and who did what?
Are the vocals at the end all Brian and the girls or are other Beach Boys involved? Is that Mike doing the bass vocals or are they Brian too?

(I did try the Stephen Desper thread but didn't get a response - don't know if its dealt with in his book).

Still no takers? - listening to it again today and I'm prety sure that IS Mike Love on there singing 'It rained on'.

Come on folks, someone must know something about this song....who played on it? Anything?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 02:31:51 PM »

Ask Desper!

"There was no Spring album, an invention of the press."

trumpet sounds
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 07:57:21 PM »

Still no takers? - listening to it again today and I'm prety sure that IS Mike Love on there singing 'It rained on'.

Come on folks, someone must know something about this song....who played on it? Anything?

It sounds like Mike Love to me on the bass parts, sounds like Brian had a hand in the production as well. It's been said alot of Beach Boys backing tracks were used on the Spring album. I don't know if you'll ever get a definitive answer. I've had people swear to me it's not Mike on the bass part, so who knows...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006, 10:21:52 AM »

That's Brian.

or maybe Alan.   Grin

No, seriously, it's Brian

al
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 10:51:03 AM »

Grin

Like the other debate - I keep changing my mind! Brian isn't noted for his bass vocals but they aren't that low, so it certainly could be.

I think this track is possibly one of Brian's best productions - IF it is actually a Brian production of course.

I noticed you mentioned the other day about how little we know about the making of this album - shame someone didn't ask Marilyn at the last STOMP about it. Huh
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006, 12:19:48 PM »

Grin

Like the other debate - I keep changing my mind! Brian isn't noted for his bass vocals but they aren't that low, so it certainly could be.

I think this track is possibly one of Brian's best productions - IF it is actually a Brian production of course.

I noticed you mentioned the other day about how little we know about the making of this album - shame someone didn't ask Marilyn at the last STOMP about it. Huh

"Shortenin' Bread" - the unreleased version from 1973 - has Brian on bass vocal. he can do it when he wants to.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx