gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:42:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shows and sessions for 1983 now up on 10452  (Read 11742 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »

This really pisses me off...was the June 11, 1983 Lake Lanier (Georgia) show really one of only three shows that month with no Brian?  Or is that partly from my information earlier?  In other words, is Brian's appearance confirmed when there's no asterisk, or just his non-presence confirmed when there is?

I went up there in great hopes of seeing Brian, but by the time I left I knew that Dennis had been the historic presence.  I've posted about this often, but since it's under discussion, and at risk of being repetitive, here it is again: Dennis was OUT OF IT in Lake Lanier, and the only song I really remember him playing drums on was the opener- "California Girls".  He was just thrashing the drums and caused them to finish much faster than they started.  The whole band seemed strained. After that he pretty much just stumbled around the stage, and croaked out "You Are So Beautiful". His presence was really disruptive, but it was fascinating, and as I've posted before, I told my girlfriend that he wouldn't live out the year. I knew I was seeing the end of an era.

Mike did his "Back In The U.S.S.R." story before they did the song, but at that point he wasn't yet claiming to have co-written the song.

Still got my stub right here by my desk.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »

I only know when Brian or Dennis was absent when a reviewer mentions it.  Not every show was reviewed and I don't have every review that was done.  Also not every reviewer gave that much detail.  So I can't really say with accuracy every show that Dennis and Brian played or didn't-so just a rough guide to that.  One troubling thing- I do have a long review of the 83 Syracuse show and the reviewer states that Dennis was recovering from a recent surgery and wasn't there.  Other (important in BB circles) people, however, swear that this was Dennis's last regular show -so I guess the reviewer was wrong...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 07:13:38 PM »

I only know when Brian or Dennis was absent when a reviewer mentions it.  Not every show was reviewed and I don't have every review that was done.  Also not every reviewer gave that much detail.  So I can't really say with accuracy every show that Dennis and Brian played or didn't-so just a rough guide to that.  One troubling thing- I do have a long review of the 83 Syracuse show and the reviewer states that Dennis was recovering from a recent surgery and wasn't there.  Other (important in BB circles) people, however, swear that this was Dennis's last regular show -so I guess the reviewer was wrong...

Yes, there was a review (an apparently more accurate one) in ESQ some years back by a fan who was at that show, and a picture the fan took was published, with Dennis clearly in it.  From what I've heard, Denny was in rehab in upstate New York at the time, and was allowed to play with the band at this show. 

From what I've gathered, Dennis and Brian were both absent from all the June '82 shows, Dennis was absent from all of the Sept. '82 shows until they returned to California, Dennis was present at most of the '83 shows until mid-August, and Brian was absent from most '83 shows except the really "high profile" ones.  Also of note, Brian, Dennis and Mike were all absent from the 6/18/83 Cleveland show (but I'd bet my bottom dollar they weren't together...unless Brian was so concerned about Mike's strepp throat that he persuaded his doctor (Landy) to make a house call and take him along, while Dennis and Shawn coincidentally showed up in the hope that a sip from Dennis' jug might cure Mike and he'd be so grateful he'd admit she was his daughter...)
 Evil
mtaber
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 07:28:48 PM »

Seems like '82 and '83 were spent waiting for Dennis and Brian to die... remember all my phone conversations with Derek Bill and others wondering if either would live out the year... truly a sad time.
Didn't see any concerts that year, and didn't want to. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 09:09:32 PM »

When Dennis was "fired" for the last time(August 1983?), was he out of the band for good that time? Or was it just going to be untill he cleaned up his act again?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 05:09:36 AM »

When Dennis was "fired" for the last time(August 1983?), was he out of the band for good that time? Or was it just going to be untill he cleaned up his act again?

Undoubtedly if he'd cleaned up, they would have let him back in.  I'm sure by that point they'd pretty much had it, but he was family and one of the founding members, so I'm sure they wouldn't let him go permanately.  Right after he died, there was a report in Variety which stated that despite the estrangement from the band at the time of his death, he was scheduled to be on their early '84 tour. 
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 05:38:00 AM »

I was at the June '83 Washington DC show and was amazed how animated Brian was- he was playing piano forcefully, grabbing tambourines and walking out front to harmonize, generally showing a lot of energy in his newly slimmed down state.  Dennis played drums the for almost the whole show, and during one encore number grabbed Brian and started waltzing around the stage with him, the whole band was smiling. They entered the stadium each in a classic car which drove around the edge of the field with waving band members.  They were doing tie in concerts with baseball and soccer games that tour, and the "Tank McNamara" comic strip featured a spoof on a baseball game going into the 15th inning, and the announcer broadcasting the new outfield were the Wilson Brothers.  I remember that as one of their better shows in the '80's.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 06:42:46 AM »

Too bad the clip of the group doing Runaway at one of these shows isn't on youtube anymore. Both Brian and Dennis seemed to be in great spirits, with Bruce Johnston being flabbergasted at Brian even doing some dancing on stage. His appearance must've seemed like a major miracle to those around him.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »

When exactly was the press conference announcing that Dennis died? I'm talking about the clip that was in the Endless Harmony/American Band documentaries.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 08:30:23 PM »

When exactly was the press conference announcing that Dennis died? I'm talking about the clip that was in the Endless Harmony/American Band documentaries.

I think it was a couple of days or so after his death.  When he died, it was all over the news.  The conference was to announce that the Boys were going to be carrying on, but would be cancelling some shows in early '84 for a period of mourning. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »

I remember seeing the press conference on MTV.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »

Was there more of that press conference that was broadcast on TV, or just the same clip we've all seen?

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 10:07:25 AM »

There've been conflicting reports about the Sept. 26 & 27 shows, even some doubt as to there actually being a show on the 27th.  Ian, have you found reviews for these gigs?  At this point, all I know for sure is there are photos from the gig on the 26th that show the band playing without Dennis (Mike K and Bobby F both on drums), photos of Dennis drumming with Mike K, photos of Dennis drumming with Bobby F, and photos of Dennis stage-front, singing with Billy H, singing with Carl, and doing the line dance with the others during "Barbara Ann" (he and Mike Love are looking right at each other in that one).  This implies Dennis was absent for the first part of the gig, but joined the show later.  Dennis looks terrible in these shots. 

There's also a tape from one of the nights, and Carl introduces Dennis right before "Warmth Of The Sun", saying "That's our drummer, Dennis Wilson, joining us now". 

The report of them cutting the show short because of Dennis' drunken antics comes from a guy who was at the show...it appeared in an issue of the "Dennymania" fanzine in '84.  I'll dig for it when I get the chance.  I figured Dennis was so rowdy and distruptive that rather than cause a scene in front of the audience by having the roadies or security guards haul him off, Carl decided it would be easier to just shorten the show by a song or two. 
Is there any chance you could post a few of those pictures?

I'd really like to...but the seller made it a condition of the sale that they not be reproduced anywhere, including the internet.  Sad
So I have to honor that.

So what would happen if you did post them? Does the seller get to take them back?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2008, 01:27:34 AM »

Are there any available 1983 concert pictures of Dennis that CAN be posted here?

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2008, 05:15:00 AM »

There've been conflicting reports about the Sept. 26 & 27 shows, even some doubt as to there actually being a show on the 27th.  Ian, have you found reviews for these gigs?  At this point, all I know for sure is there are photos from the gig on the 26th that show the band playing without Dennis (Mike K and Bobby F both on drums), photos of Dennis drumming with Mike K, photos of Dennis drumming with Bobby F, and photos of Dennis stage-front, singing with Billy H, singing with Carl, and doing the line dance with the others during "Barbara Ann" (he and Mike Love are looking right at each other in that one).  This implies Dennis was absent for the first part of the gig, but joined the show later.  Dennis looks terrible in these shots. 

There's also a tape from one of the nights, and Carl introduces Dennis right before "Warmth Of The Sun", saying "That's our drummer, Dennis Wilson, joining us now". 

The report of them cutting the show short because of Dennis' drunken antics comes from a guy who was at the show...it appeared in an issue of the "Dennymania" fanzine in '84.  I'll dig for it when I get the chance.  I figured Dennis was so rowdy and distruptive that rather than cause a scene in front of the audience by having the roadies or security guards haul him off, Carl decided it would be easier to just shorten the show by a song or two. 

I'd really like to...but the seller made it a condition of the sale that they not be reproduced anywhere, including the internet.  Sad
So I have to honor that.

So what would happen if you did post them? Does the seller get to take them back?
Well, I guess the seller could sue him.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2008, 10:27:19 PM »

I have on DVD a news broadcast from around 1993, talking about the Good Vibrations box set. Near the end, there is a brief film clip of Dennis sitting in a red convertable. Judging my Dennis's appearence, I'd assume that it comes from 1983. Does anybody have any information on it?

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 03:46:04 AM »

I have on DVD a news broadcast from around 1993, talking about the Good Vibrations box set. Near the end, there is a brief film clip of Dennis sitting in a red convertable. Judging my Dennis's appearence, I'd assume that it comes from 1983. Does anybody have any information on it?

If he has a beard and no shirt, it's probably San Diego May '83.  If he has no beard and a shirt, it's probably Seattle May '83.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 03:47:37 AM »

So I have to honor that.

Well, I guess the seller could sue him.

Or I could get banned from eBay for violating the terms & conditions of a sale.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »

To reply to some earlier discussions- I checked the Seattle Times and the BBs were indeed at the Kingdome in Seattle on May 22 1983 after a Mariners baseball game. All six members were there and that is the show that can be found on Youtube.  The review -with photos-is in the May 23 Seattle Times.  Turns out the Arizona app was on May 21 (it was a two day fest-but BBs only played first day).  Carl was back in Seattle a month later (June 22) for a solo show at Parkers-to support his 2nd album.  This is all updated and correct now at Bellagio.  We also found and added a few more assorted shows to 1968, 1980, 1981, 1982 as well... I found a nice story about the BBs Feb 20 1982 app at BYU in Provo.  Being a Mormon institution, smoking is a big no-no, but BW ignored all the angry glares and chain smoked a few packs on stage anyways.  Exact quote "Other members of the BBs group tried to get Wilson to stop smoking during the concert and even took his cigarettes away from him.  But...the piano player found more cigarettes during a break and continued smoking in front of the 17,000 students" Amusing
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2008, 02:16:42 PM »

Hi Ian. Whats the link to the youtube Kingdome show?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2008, 02:41:05 PM »

To reply to some earlier discussions- I checked the Seattle Times and the BBs were indeed at the Kingdome in Seattle on May 22 1983 after a Mariners baseball game. All six members were there and that is the show that can be found on Youtube.  The review -with photos-is in the May 23 Seattle Times.  Turns out the Arizona app was on May 21 (it was a two day fest-but BBs only played first day).  Carl was back in Seattle a month later (June 22) for a solo show at Parkers-to support his 2nd album.  This is all updated and correct now at Bellagio.  We also found and added a few more assorted shows to 1968, 1980, 1981, 1982 as well... I found a nice story about the BBs Feb 20 1982 app at BYU in Provo.  Being a Mormon institution, smoking is a big no-no, but BW ignored all the angry glares and chain smoked a few packs on stage anyways.  Exact quote "Other members of the BBs group tried to get Wilson to stop smoking during the concert and even took his cigarettes away from him.  But...the piano player found more cigarettes during a break and continued smoking in front of the 17,000 students" Amusing

Wow...was there any backlash afterwards?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2008, 04:43:04 PM »

well....The story made the Deseret News and the school was not happy about it-the band issued an apology
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2008, 05:52:31 PM »

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=FegOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=U4MDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6567,6747095&dq=beach+boys+smoking
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »

well....The story made the Deseret News and the school was not happy about it-the band issued an apology

I believed this appearance is mentioned in Brian's "autobiography". 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2008, 09:16:02 PM »

Oh wow... can't say I blame them.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx