gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:00:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shows and sessions for 1983 now up on 10452  (Read 11709 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:46:34 AM »

Corrections and additions welcomed as always.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 05:53:26 AM »

Corrections and additions welcomed as always.

cheers!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:07:12 AM »

Just a thought, I know that Brian did a boatload of demo sessions on new material in 1983, is there any time frame on those and will items like that be added in the future?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:23:18 AM »

If we can get some approximate dates, sure. But right now, "1983" is the best we can do.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »

While the July 4, 1983 Atlantic City gig was not the last date Dennis played, I've heard that it was the last time all five "core members" played together live.  Did any of the later concert dates include Dennis, Brian, Carl, Mike and Al?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 12:00:40 PM »

Yep...the Pier 44 gigs in NYC, as well as Costa Mesa, Napa, and perhaps some of the others inbetween.  Carl's statement in the "American Band" docu "It was the last 4th of July gig with the original Beach Boys" was taken by many to mean it was the last gig PERIOD that all of them were at...much like the statement used to promote the Knebworth (1980) gig when it was released on video ("The lsat time all six Beach Boys played together in the UK") was interpreted by some as meaning the same.  People need to LISTEN...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 12:16:04 PM »

If we can get some approximate dates, sure. But right now, "1983" is the best we can do.

If you're talking about "Black Widow", "In The Nightime", and such, those were Late 1983 (sorry, don't have exact dates) at Lucky Dog Studio in Venice.  There's a great description of Brian's session there in the 8/26/88 issue of BAM.  Although the date is given there as "Late 1984", it's clear from the description of the session that it was actually the previous year, since by late '84 Brian had already demoed lots of stuff and was recording the Steve Levine album with the other guys.  But there were evidently also demo sessions that Brian and Carl held with Gary Mallaber, and those would have been APART from these Lucky Dog sessions, which were just Brian, the engineer, and a drum machine.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »

Maybe you could quote that description (hint, hint)...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »

Maybe you could quote that description (hint, hint)...

Sure thing...

Aug. 26 '88 issue of BAM (article by Jerry McCulley): 

It was Landy who pushed Wilson to record a solo album, and in late 1984 (sic) Landy sent Wilson off to a tiny $15-an-hour demo studio in Venice.  Wayne Erwin, the studio's owner and a veteran L.A. session musician, recalls the strange circumstances surrounding Wilson's visits.  "I got a call from Dr. Landy's office.  'We want to book an afternoon for Brian Wilson to come in and do some taping.'  I said that's fine with me, but I thought it was a put-on.  I said, 'Well are you sure you're calling the right Dog?  'Cause there's another studio down here in Venice called Mad Dog that's at least 24-track.  We're just a little garage setup, strictly demo-city.'  She said, 'That's exactly what we're looking for, so that Brian can come in on this own without all the pressures of working with all these people around him.'

So they booked a couple of days later, and I was sitting out there on the porch.  I didn't even know if anybody was gonna show up.  I was sitting out there reading and I see this bearded fella coming tentatively around the corner and he's carrying a DX-7 in a case.  It was just him.  And I thought, 'sh*t, it is Brian Wilson, carrying a synthesizer without even a roadie.'  I thought, well, this is pretty weird.

"About two hours into the session it was just so obvious to me that, OK, now this is a whole little experiment where they sent Brian out on his own, carrying his own little keyboard to do his thing.  It was very wacky.  And then halfway though the session Landy came in with a helper."  However, Erwin says Landy's usual ritual during the sessions was to park his car a few feet outside the studio's walls, and call Brian via his car phone to issue instructions or check on Brian's progress.

Overall, Erwin has fond memories of the experience.  "When he first started doing his vocal, I didn't have any modern digital reverb.  My reverb was an old spring reverb, the kind they used before they had digital at all.  Definitely low-tech all the way.  He was doing his vocals just dry in the headphones, and then I threw that spring reverb on there, and he stopped and said, 'Aw, that's beautiful.  That's the way it used to sound.'  There were a couple of times that were really touching."

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 08:01:38 PM »

I've wondered for years what the exact date was of my first Beach Boys show in Saratoga Springs. I now see it was June 19th of '83. I was a few weeks away from my sixth birthday. I remember nothing, except for Bruce singing "Disney Girls". That's a title a kid can pick up on. Is there any more info about the show? I can't remember if Denny or Brian were there. I seem to recall my mother saying the next day that the crazy guy wasn't there, so I doubt Brian was present. Any chance of Denny being there? I would like to think I got to see him in person. I probably didn't. Setlists? Anything?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:15:30 AM »

I don't have a review of that show-yet...but I can probably get one without too much trouble...I'll let you know
MBE
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 11:04:01 PM »

I didn't see the Seattle show on there from May. The video of it goes around trading circles. Or so I hear.... Razz
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 08:46:05 AM »

The person who posted it says the show was May 22 but that clashes with newspaper reviews which place the BBs in Arizona on that day-so I have to check it out- maybe they flew there later that day-but I have a feeling it was a different date than the one listed
MBE
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 08:12:48 PM »

I never knew the date myself, just that it was May. Seems like a Friday or Saturday night gig considering how many people are there.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 09:45:12 PM »

I never knew the date myself, just that it was May. Seems like a Friday or Saturday night gig considering how many people are there.
I always thought that the setup of that Seattle show was weird. The group is dead center in what looks like a huge football field, and the audience is real far away. Does anybody know where the show took place? When a few songs were posted on YouTube, a lot of people were saying that it was at the Seattle Kingdom. That can't be right though, because the Kingdom was an indoor stadium.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 10:36:03 PM »

On Eric's set list archive website, c-man is quoted as saying this about the September 26th show: "One of the last shows Dennis played (they played the same venue the next day, and reportedly Dennis was so disruptive with his drunken shenanigans that they had to shorten the show. Reportedly, he never played with them again).

I was wondering if c-man(or anybody who happens to know) could elaborate on what supposedly happened at the show the next day. I read somewhere that Dennis would throw stuff at the band from backstage untill they let him play. Is that what he did at the show on the 27th? I've just never heard of the band actually canceling a show because of "bad behavior". Even at the 1978 show where Carl fell down drunk, they simply forced him offstage, and continued without him.

MBE
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 11:28:53 PM »

I don't know really what happened but I can imagine that he could no longer play a full set. I don't think that would have been a problem unless he wouldn't get off the drum stool and was going too slow. Considering how productive he was in the seventies, what really hits home to me about Dennis really declining is how little music he was writing in his last years.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 05:40:37 AM »

There've been conflicting reports about the Sept. 26 & 27 shows, even some doubt as to there actually being a show on the 27th.  Ian, have you found reviews for these gigs?  At this point, all I know for sure is there are photos from the gig on the 26th that show the band playing without Dennis (Mike K and Bobby F both on drums), photos of Dennis drumming with Mike K, photos of Dennis drumming with Bobby F, and photos of Dennis stage-front, singing with Billy H, singing with Carl, and doing the line dance with the others during "Barbara Ann" (he and Mike Love are looking right at each other in that one).  This implies Dennis was absent for the first part of the gig, but joined the show later.  Dennis looks terrible in these shots. 

There's also a tape from one of the nights, and Carl introduces Dennis right before "Warmth Of The Sun", saying "That's our drummer, Dennis Wilson, joining us now". 

The report of them cutting the show short because of Dennis' drunken antics comes from a guy who was at the show...it appeared in an issue of the "Dennymania" fanzine in '84.  I'll dig for it when I get the chance.  I figured Dennis was so rowdy and distruptive that rather than cause a scene in front of the audience by having the roadies or security guards haul him off, Carl decided it would be easier to just shorten the show by a song or two. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »

There definitely was a show on the 27th - a Beach Boys Stomp reader wrote a review, but he said Dennis wasn't there, something which has been somewhat disproved by photos taken that night. It was long thought that the 26th was the last time Dennis played with the band at all (one song during the encore, "Fun x 3"), but if Carl introduced him prior to "TWOTS", then it has to be the 2nd night, unless they moved the song from 8th on the setlist to the encore. That or the tape isn't from the Pomona shows.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »

I've wondered for years what the exact date was of my first Beach Boys show in Saratoga Springs. I now see it was June 19th of '83. I was a few weeks away from my sixth birthday. I remember nothing, except for Bruce singing "Disney Girls". That's a title a kid can pick up on. Is there any more info about the show? I can't remember if Denny or Brian were there. I seem to recall my mother saying the next day that the crazy guy wasn't there, so I doubt Brian was present. Any chance of Denny being there? I would like to think I got to see him in person. I probably didn't. Setlists? Anything?

Was that Saratoga show at SPAC? Just curious since I live just a couple hours away from there.
Unfortunately, there's no setlist info for a Saratoga, NY show in 1983 on Eric's site (http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/set80s.html).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 08:03:31 PM »

Was that Saratoga show at SPAC? Just curious since I live just a couple hours away from there.
Unfortunately, there's no setlist info for a Saratoga, NY show in 1983 on Eric's site (http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/set80s.html).

Yes, it was at SPAC.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 08:21:14 PM »

There've been conflicting reports about the Sept. 26 & 27 shows, even some doubt as to there actually being a show on the 27th.  Ian, have you found reviews for these gigs?  At this point, all I know for sure is there are photos from the gig on the 26th that show the band playing without Dennis (Mike K and Bobby F both on drums), photos of Dennis drumming with Mike K, photos of Dennis drumming with Bobby F, and photos of Dennis stage-front, singing with Billy H, singing with Carl, and doing the line dance with the others during "Barbara Ann" (he and Mike Love are looking right at each other in that one).  This implies Dennis was absent for the first part of the gig, but joined the show later.  Dennis looks terrible in these shots. 

There's also a tape from one of the nights, and Carl introduces Dennis right before "Warmth Of The Sun", saying "That's our drummer, Dennis Wilson, joining us now". 

The report of them cutting the show short because of Dennis' drunken antics comes from a guy who was at the show...it appeared in an issue of the "Dennymania" fanzine in '84.  I'll dig for it when I get the chance.  I figured Dennis was so rowdy and distruptive that rather than cause a scene in front of the audience by having the roadies or security guards haul him off, Carl decided it would be easier to just shorten the show by a song or two. 
Is there any chance you could post a few of those pictures?

MBE
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 12:45:53 AM »

I wonder if those are the last photos of Dennis period.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 05:45:57 AM »

There definitely was a show on the 27th - a Beach Boys Stomp reader wrote a review, but he said Dennis wasn't there, something which has been somewhat disproved by photos taken that night. It was long thought that the 26th was the last time Dennis played with the band at all (one song during the encore, "Fun x 3"), but if Carl introduced him prior to "TWOTS", then it has to be the 2nd night, unless they moved the song from 8th on the setlist to the encore. That or the tape isn't from the Pomona shows.

Hmmm...then I wonder if the photos are really from the 27th and not th 26th as the seller on eBay said...from the photos, Dennis is definetly present for several songs, but not the entire show.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 05:47:44 AM »

Is there any chance you could post a few of those pictures?

I'd really like to...but the seller made it a condition of the sale that they not be reproduced anywhere, including the internet.  Sad
So I have to honor that.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx