-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:38:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Olympics
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 4864 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2008, 06:58:17 AM »

Has anyone been watching the Olympics?

I have only been watching every so often but did anyone see Usain Bolt from Jamaica break the 100m world record in the final? Maybe it doesn't sound that impressive but he broke the world record which was previously 9.72 (which was his own record) and the one before that was 9.74 but he ran it in 9.69 and he did it comfortably and even slowed down a little at the end!! I have never seen an athlete make something look so damn easy. Anyway for anyone who is interested here is the World Record progression for the 100m:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_record_progression_100_metres_men
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 05:32:36 PM »

I've watched almost every basketball game online (live or in replay), and I did see the televised replay (in the states it was in primetime here, which was something like 12 hours after it really happened) of Bolt. He was amazing. My first thought was that he could make a fortune as an NFL kick returner or, if he can catch at all, wide receiver.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:29:33 AM »

Is his last name really Bolt? That's funny.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:06:26 AM »

Yep that is his name and there has been plenty of headlines like "Lightning Bolt" etc..

By the way, he also broke Michael Johnson's (from the USA of course) record from the Atlanta games in the 200m final. So he is the first guy at an Olympics to win both the 100m+200m while also breaking both world records.

Luther, how do you think we (meaning the Aussies) did against you guys in the Basketball? I only saw the result as they only showed the last few minutes of the match as they were showing the women's softball instead...  Computer Smash!

Funny that you should say that he (Bolt) could make a great NFL player, cause I was thinking the exact same thing for Rugby League (which is a big sport in Australia). What I want to know though is where are all of these Jamaican runners coming from? They came 1st in the 100m mens of course, and 1st, 2nd and 2nd (a tie for 2nd) in the women's 100m!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 01:48:13 PM »

Australia's team really stepped up after a rough start and did just fine against the USA--nothing to be ashamed of there. A fellow fanatic friend and I were discussing how several of the Australian men's team who aren't here could be playing in the NBA: Chris Anstey (who did play with the Dallas Mavericks for a few years in the 1990s) and Matt Nielsen in particular, as well as some guys who still have a good chance to someday, such as Brad Newley and Joe Ingles. And Patrick Mills, who plays in St. Mary's (Calif.) University, is definitely going to make it: he is a star.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 12:23:28 AM »

Australia's team really stepped up after a rough start and did just fine against the USA--nothing to be ashamed of there. A fellow fanatic friend and I were discussing how several of the Australian men's team who aren't here could be playing in the NBA: Chris Anstey (who did play with the Dallas Mavericks for a few years in the 1990s) and Matt Nielsen in particular, as well as some guys who still have a good chance to someday, such as Brad Newley and Joe Ingles. And Patrick Mills, who plays in St. Mary's (Calif.) University, is definitely going to make it: he is a star.

Yeah I heard we did pretty well...although of course that is hearing it from the biased Australian media. When I saw that last 10 minutes or so Andrew Gaze (who was commentating over here) was getting really fired up and angry at the USA team. It was pretty funny to hear as he was clearly over-reacting.

But yeah I have heard a lot of good things about Patrick Mills and much has been made about how he is the first (or one of the first) indigenous Australians to perhaps make it big one day. So I hope he does well as that would be great for a lot of the indigenous people over here.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 07:00:20 AM »

I love Andrew Gaze! Glad to hear he's still got a role, even if it's just commentating. Mills will probably be the second indigenous Australian to make the NBA, as just this year Nathan Jawai, who didn't make the senior national team, was drafted and signed by the Toronto Raptors.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: