gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:43:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wilson Hawthorne home  (Read 3064 times)
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:53:15 PM »

Does anybody know which of these houses was the Wilson family home in Hawthorne?

http://www.historicaerials.com?poi=1642
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »

Hopefully you can follow me...the main street down the middle of the screen running from the airport is Kornblum.  The street that crosses then bends down after it cross Kornblum is 119th / Amertens - it gets confusing because that strip of Kornblum is actually the border between Hawthorne and Inglewood - the straight (left) side is Hawthorne and 119th st and the curved (right) side is Inglewood and Almertens pl. 

Where 119th /Almertens crosses at Kornblum, you can see 4 houses - one on each of the 4 corners.  The house that fits in the bend of Almertens is Paula Bondi-Springer's house.  On the far side of Almertens from her house is David Marks house - its large and light colored roof.  Moving along counter clockwise, across the Kornblum side of the street from the Marks house, is a small, dark-roofed house on the corner of the 119th side of the street - that is the Wilson house.  The Wilson and Marks driveways faced each other - both entering from Kornblum.

jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:55:42 PM »

Thank you Carrie!  I happened to visit the Historical Monument this week on my way back from seeing Brian in Nevada, and was curious just how close they were able to get to the original location with the freeway covering it now.  That Historic Aerials site is pretty cool, and you can swipe between different years to compare them; it's like a time machine.  So it looks like technically the monument stands on the spot that was the front yard of the house across the street (119th) to the south, as close as possible with eastbound lanes of the 105 freeway squarely covering the site.  Thanks again for the info!
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:10:06 AM »

Its very cool that you can compare the changes in the pre and post freeway street plans.  Standing in the neighborhood was a little disorienting for David because the streets were not in the same place but the compared aerial views put it into perspective finally...they moved 119th onto a diagonal across their front yards!  So yeah, you are right about the location of the actual monument...its on the opposite side of the original 119th st on Dean's front lawn.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 03:03:11 PM »

Dean's front lawn?
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 03:13:50 PM »

Thanks , Carrie- followed your description easily.  I had been to the neighborhood many years ago, just after the demolition, when the site was at least still there.  I think there was debris in the yard, I should have tried harder to save something.

See if this works:

http://snipurl.com/bbmonument

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:13:37 PM »

It's really cool that you can see it before and after, but a little sad. Has anyone seen/have an actual picture of the house?
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 05:15:02 PM »

Get issue #71, published a year or two ago by Endless Summer Quarterly.

There is extensive coverage of the Hawthorne neighborhood when the Wilsons were young.  David Marks and other neighbors provide much new information on the layout of the things.

There is even an excellent map with the houses of various neighbors designated.

This issue was one of the best ESQ ever did.  I cannot recommend it highly enough.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:17:11 PM by Competition Clutch » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx