gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:54:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anyone met Brian Wilson?  (Read 18182 times)
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »

Didn't meet Brian but did interact with him, just a little.

I was in the 4th row for the SMiLE gig in Portsmouth in August 2004. And I had a pretty darned big camera. I also knew 90% of the words to the SMiLE songs.

I didn't want to freak Brian out with the camera so during the first half of the show I used it sparingly, as he visibly got a lot more comfortable as the first half of the show proceeded.

I did notice that every time I lifted it to my eye he seemed to actually lighten up. During the SMiLE set I took quite a lot of photos (though not during the quiet parts, my mechanical camera is a little noisy) and mouthed the words to the songs. Brian spent quite a lot of time observing me, and made sure to grin whenever I pointed the lens at him...and as far as I could tell they weren't forced grins, he seemed happy up there. So I got some great photos.

What pee'd me off was that the local press were there, at the foot of the stage photographing Brian during the first 30-40 minutes of the first half...when he wasn't yet totally comfy. They probably got the "deer in the headlights" photos whereas he looks truly joyous later in the show. By the time Brian was introducing SMiLE, every one of the press photographers had buggered off.

BTW best gig I've ever been to.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 10:05:57 PM »

At the RFH, the photo passes came with the stipulation that you were only allowed to take shots during the first four or five songs.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 11:35:33 PM »

From The Other Anonymous:

Hey GLarson432. Any memory of the 65 BB meeting?

Maybe not many of us around at the time. Other posters early 60s Beach Boys memories would be appreciated.

My memories of that day are fleeting for the most part.  I was 16 and had just gotten my drivers license about two months earlier.  I went to the airport in Tulsa, OK with the idea of checking flights from nearby cities that it was likely the band was flying in from (Kansas City, OKC, St. Louis Dallas primarily).  I spent about 90 mins going from gate to gate with no luck.  Finally, checking a 1:25 or 1: 30 flight I was headed down some concourse for an incoming and there they were!!  The flight had come in early.

I remember thinkng I didn't want to come across like a 13 year old female Tiget Beat reader although that was exactly how I felt.  At this time in their career there were no chauffeurs, limos or any other such things.  There was also no manager or Murry so it was just the five of them.  There were pre-arranged rental car and motel accomadations in place I learned when I finally mustered up the courage to interject myself into their world.  All were milling around the Avis counter while one of them ( have no idea who) was taking care of business with the car rental.

The car turned out to be a station wagon.  White.  They had their own personal luggage, guitars and preamps (I think) but that was all.  It was minimal whatever it was but enough for something larger than one car.  During this discussion I learned that they were set to stay at the Trade Winds West in the Brookside area of Tulsa. They had no idea where that was or how to get there but I knew it like tha back of my hand.  I offered up the idea that they could follow me and that was fine with them.  So after arranging a spot to 'hook up' we were on the way.  It was about a 13 mile, mostly Interstate, drive to the motel.

What is the most memorable thing about this whole encounter is this.  Dennis was the driver of their white station wagon.  He drove the entire 13 or so miles with his arms crossed across the steering wheel.  Imagine crossing your arms in front of your chest and then reaching up and driving a car in that position.  Left had at two o'clock and right hand at ten oçlock.  He was hunched over the steering wheel like that for the entire trip to where they were staying.  It blew me away to keep looking in my rearview mirror and seeing that!

I was invited to come back later that afternoon which I did.  To the best of my memory there were three band members that were in/or around the swimming pool (although for the life of me I couldn't tell you who).  I've thought of  trying hypnosis to try to bring some of these memories back in better focus but that will probably never happen.  I was 16 then and nearly 60 now. so what does it really matter at this point (rhetorical...don't try to answer).  But that's my story of when I first met the Beach Boys!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 01:17:49 AM »

At the RFH, the photo passes came with the stipulation that you were only allowed to take shots during the first four or five songs.

Wonder if it was the same for the later tour? A shame because Brian visibly became more comfy as the concert progressed.

Maybe he got more comfy because the lensmen left him alone? !!

At the time it struck me as disrespectful. Here is a true legend in modern music, presenting a suite we thought we'd never hear and which was widely regarded as his greatest ever work...and the damned press bog off after 20 minutes, and before he's even got to said magnum opus...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 07:42:58 AM »

At this time in their career there were no chauffeurs, limos or any other such things.  There was also no manager or Murry so it was just the five of them.

Thanks for that great story, GLarson432. That might be the earliest meeting (year-wise) that I ever read on this board.

I highlighted a sentence or two which raised a question. We know that various Beach Boys had specific roles. For example, Carl was the leader on stage, and that maybe Dennis was the designated driver ( an odd choice, don't you think Shocked). But the fact that there were just five of them traveling - with no manager - I wonder who the contact person was, who had to keep in touch with whoever by telephone, to get the itinerary straight, to get from point A to point B? On time. Mike maybe? 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 03:50:02 PM »

Even then-this wasn't always the way it went.  Earl Leaf mentions in his articles about their Nov 1964 tour of Europe that 5 people including then Road manager Don Rice and roadie Ron Swallow were with them.  On their April 1965 tour they were accompanied by 8 people (according to an interview in the April 21 Wilmington, DE papers) -including Al's wife Lynda, Ron Swallow and probably new road managers Dick Duryea and Terry Sachen and their cousin Steve Korthof.  So-that Tulsa appearance with noone else accompanying them-was the exception not the rule-even in 1965
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 04:04:51 PM »

Thanks GLarson432. Great story. As someone else mentioned, that may be the oldest first-hand story on this board!  Wink
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »

I met Brian briefly in a post show meet n greet after the Cleveland Smile show (he signed the '88 cd booklet in my avatar). Can't say we really connected, although he was kind enough to shake my hand and sign. I then was asked by another party to sit next to him for a photo (which I've never received btw), and I stupidly spoke animatedly concerning the upcoming Vancouver Smile show - in his deaf ear. No wonder he never said a word Cheesy It was a brief meeting and whattheheck, I can say I 'met' Brian Wilson.

I'd like to however relate a great story from a friend of mine in Portland - the original guitarist for the Kingsmen, Mike Mitchell. I related the meeting on the Shut Down board, but I thought I'd rewind and share it all for those who haven't heard...

I've recently moved down to Portland Oregon. Last Sunday I was having a cigar at a cigar shop on the SE side of town, where I couldn't help but overhear a conversation between a couple of guys at an adjoining table. There was lots of talk about 'we opened for them...we opened for those guys...toured Europe, et al'

A couple nights later I run into the guy working behind the counter at the shop. I mentioned that I overheard his conversation and that I'm a musician as well. He introduces himself as 'Mike Mitchell - guitarist for the Kingsmen.' Great guy, (and unfortunately a Yankees fan Roll Eyes). We had a quick exchange about NW garage punk - the old Sonics, Wailers, et al and he seemed pleased that a Cleveland guy would know about that stuff.

On Friday night, I'm sitting there in the lounge buzzing over the Indians victory and he stops in and sits down. I decide that I'm going to talk to him about the old,old days - and he mentions to me that the Kingsmen opened for the BB's on their '64 summer tour...21 guys jammed in a Greyhound. Then the reminiscing kicks in; his memories of all the guys.

Turns out that he lived in LA at the time, and formed a lifelong friendship with Carl, hung out with Dennis and even visited Brian after he put in the sandbox in the living room. He went on with tales about Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine, and hanging out with Terry Melcher and the Raiders (the Raiders being Portland guys as well).

This will knock you out - - when I asked him for his memories of Brian, he told an amazing story from the tour bus. Apparently in the middle of the tour, in the middle of the night, Brian wakes up and announces that he had just conceived two songs in his sleep and just HAD to teach everyone the vocal parts. The rest of the guys were not into it, and wanted to get back to sleep asap but Brian was adamant that everyone try out these new vocal parts for his new composition - Wendy. Dude wrote it in his sleep and the vocal parts were prearranged in his head when he woke. For the life of Mike, he could not recall the second tune, but he swears it was another well known classic.

Apparently there were lots of high jinx on the tour bus; he recalls numerous shaving cream fights and wild scenes at outta the way desert towns. Apparently Brian purchased a super 8 camera and was filming some guy getting his entire head covered with the cream. Then when the bus stopped, Brian thought it would be funny if the guy went into a convenience store with his head covered with shaving cream and asked the guy for razors - sounds like Brian humor! The clerk got angry and threatened to call the cops - until Brian said 'haven't you heard of Candid Camera? You're on Candid Camera!' The clerk saw Brian's 8mm and thought he was about to be featured in that famous 60's show hosted by Allen Funt. No one told the clerk that it was a put-on...(an in-joke among the lads). Oh and then there was the time that Carl threw his pants out the window of the bus and boarded the plane in his underwear (but that's another story  Grin). Mike told me that the next time he sees Brian he's going to ask him if he still has the vid tape, because he wants a copy of it.

A good guy - he's very happy to hear of Brian's rebirth and the new album doing so well.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 10:16:07 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 10:36:37 AM »

I remember reading that "Wendy" story on the Shut Down board...absolutely mind-blowing if it's true.
PhilCormier
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 04:36:23 PM »

Thank for this subject matter, by the way.  I've met Brian at several meet and greet opportunities, mostly in the UK (I'm a Mainer).  I saw several shows in England and Scotland in 2002 and 2004 and was almost always offered a chance to be backstage  after the shows.  The meetings were always awkward and somewhat forced leaving me with a mixed feeling.  (perhaps it's better to go away from a show on a high as opposed to meeting Brian...  But it always felt good to at least thank him for his music, or something like that...)  I would only be more awkward in front of Woody Allen, I think.   The most relaxed meeting with Brian came in August 2002, a great show at the Avalon in Boston.  Brian was sitting on a futon sofa in a small room behind some black curtains.  I just went in there and sat beside him and tried to talk.  I'm not sure what I said, but I remember trying to be cool.  I probably wasn't.

I'm a cameraman and once I saw a documentary crew shooting BW and band backstage on his 1999 tour, I decided I should be that guy.  By 2004 I had made it come true.   David Leaf called me to say he might need my help in London for the Premier of Smile.  I showed up on day one and received my all access pass from David.  I was so exhausted with pleasure, I hardly remember the next few days.  I ended up shooting all of the fan interviews for "Beautiful Dreamer" as well as the interview of Brian by Van Dyke Parks.  (I operated the camera on Brian).  Then I ran to the RFH and waited outside of Brian's dressing room in case Paul McCartney would come back to with Brian well.   What a rush!  Brian kept popping his head out and then closing the door.  I could hear him playing boogie woogie riffs on the small upright piano they had in there for him.  (I guess that's what he does before performances..)  All of the band members were coming and going and most were giving me smiles (to my camera, etc) 
I would then be released by David Leaf and would then race to secure my camera equipment and take my place in the audience.  I remember telling Paul Adsett that I had just filmed Brian and Paul McCartney!  Amazing!  Then the show started!  Almost too much for me to handle! 
The worst part was David Leaf asked me each night if I needed a ticket...of course I had already paid dearly for mine.   

Good stuff. 

cheers, Phil

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 05:09:06 PM »

Phil, not only did you get to meet Brian Wilson, you were part of history!
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 01:01:40 PM »

Hopefully no one minds me bumping this topic back up, but after yesterday, I can finally say that, indeed, I HAVE met Brian Wilson! 

This weekend, he was signing new copies of the "That Lucky Old Sun" DVD at two Guitar Centers around L.A. (Hollywood and Northridge, to be exact) and then a Guitar Center in La Mesa, which is in San Diego.  Even though I'm far closer to the first two locations, things didn't work out Saturday and so me and a friend ended up driving two hours to SD to meet him.  We head over there, get there about two hours before the signing and I'm 12th in line.  The line built up around the time he got there (it was due to begin at 1 P.M.) and he shows up in a nice Saturn that was parked two spots next to my car (as I was walking back to my car you could see on the windshield that he was a guest at the Muholland Estates the night before).  We're able to film him walking in (brought my camcorder) and then the signing starts.  They let in 5 people at a time and, first, you'd have to buy either TLOS on CD or the new DVD in order to get him to sign, plus one additional flat item.  So I buy the DVD and then walk right up to him.  I was beyond nervous: I was walking up to THE MAN, my musical idol.  I hand him my TLOS DVD and "Pet Sounds" vinyl for him to sign and as he's signing, he says: "Hi, how are you doing?!"  Inside, I just sort of turned into a 12 year old, thinking: "Oh My God, Brian Wilson just asked me a something!  Oh My God, Oh My God, Oh My God!!"  I answer him and then once he's done, I ask if I could shake his hand and he says: "Sure!" and I shake it and I said something like: "Thank you for all the great music, you're truly a genius, sir," and walk off.  Of course, it sounded incredibly awkward, and I had even rehearsed saying it (at least I didn't go with my other line: "Brian, I love your music as much as you love "Be My Baby!"), but I said it, nonetheless. 

We were able to film him walking in and my friend (I didn't know this until afterwards) asked Brian before the signing started whether he could take a picture of him, to which Brian said yes.  So I have a sweet photo of Brian posing directly into my camera with a little smile (my newest desktop, by the way).  Unfortunately, the moment of me being up there with him wasn't really captured because security didn't want photographs taken with Brian AND the person he was signing for (just Brian was fine, though).  My friend tried to sneak one anyways, but because he rushed it so security wouldn't see it, and because people were coming up, the photo blurred, so the closest thing I have is an incredibly blurry Brian and part of my body and face... you can barely make it out, yet it's now one of my most valued photos.   

All in all a great day.  He seemed to be in good spirits and he looked good, I'm happy to say.  I had heard reports that he only signed for 15 minutes or so in Northridge the night before and took off because he was tired, so I was a little nervous how he'd be, but he really did look good.  Keep in mind the following note, though, which I didn't say before: I suffer from kidney stones around once a year, usually in the fall.  When I woke up yesterday morning, I woke up with that horrible pain.  Out of all days.  Somehow, I managed to brave it out and still go to SD, and in an act of divine intervention, the pain managed to subside nearly the whole time I was there, until coming back near when I got home.  I wasn't missing this for anything. 

So there you go.  Not as awesome as some of the other stories on this thread, but thought I'd add it! 

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 01:35:14 PM »

I first met Brian in 1979 in L.A. and since then I've met and talked to him more than a dozen times... 1980, 1981, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007...and the last time was Sept. 2008, I expect I'll be talking to him this Friday night as well. For me, its never really comfortable. I'm too big a fan to relax around him...and he makes me nervous because he's Brian freakin' Wilson, and that makes him nervous...its always a little weird between us. But I feel lucky that i live a life that allows me to interact occasionally with some of my childhood heroes...Brian being a major major one. He's usually pretty cool, sometimes hilarious, sometimes he's very polite, sometimes he's pretty sketchy. I hope by maybe the 25th time I'm with Brian I can finally chill out, and he'll get a good vibe from me, and then we can get down and be buds. Might happen, but if it never does I'm still honored to occasionally stutter out a few words to him.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 02:53:04 PM »

Cool that you may meet him again Friday Jon. Maybe you can do another post after?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »

I've never met the master but I was front row at the Torrington concert 25-30 feet away from him.

That counts right?  LOL
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »

I really hate to be a spoil sport and ruin a good story...but nevertheless it needs to be said....The Kingsmen toured with the BBs on the Summer Safari tour (July-Aug 1964) and "Wendy" was recorded before that tour (April-May at the latest)....so there's a memory problem there...Clearly Brian didn't write Wendy on a tour bus in July 1964....That's the problem with memories....it was probably another song
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 03:58:25 PM »

A more likely song to be written on that tour would be "She Knows Me Too Well" or "When I Grow Up"
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 06:33:27 PM »

Met Brian after Australian premiere of That Lucky Old Sun at the State Theatre in Sydney, January 2008. I'd planned some sort of indepth conversation or another but when he came out I realised I wouldn't get much time. "Hi Brian!" I said. "That Lucky Old Sun's amazing." I shook his hand; I remember how kindly his eyes were, like Father Time. Then he disappeared backstage.

Oh, and from the next day: I was waiting out the side door of the theatre to get Brian to sign my copy of All Summer Long, but the only people I ran into were Wondermints members. I asked Sanahaja to sign it anyway, for the hell of it. He told me straight up that he refused to sign such an album as he had nothing to do with it.. but he knew someone who did. With a gleam in his eye he disappeared inside and came back ten minutes later with Brian's signature. Thanks Darren!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:39:09 PM by art rush » Logged
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 07:19:37 PM »

Ok, first got toge this out of the way......Soundcheck PS 2000.....Hi Bob, my name is Brian..I mean Hi Brian, my name is Bob.  Razz

First time - 1979 at The White Hall hotel in Houston. Just a handshake and a hello.

1981 - Hyatt Regency Houston. That story is on the board somewhere.

1982 - Brian was hold up in his hotel room and would come out. Missed the show (although I talked with Mike for like 40 mins. Very nice to me!)

Brian didn't come around these parts for a long time. He did come to Austin to SXSW several times, but I always found out after the fact.

1999 - Jeff H. invited me to see Brian in Wisconsin. Saw Brian before the show. Didn't say much.

2000 - PS tour in Houston. Was there for the entire soundcheck (about 90 mins). Scott was late and DS asked me to come up and play the organ for the Vibes run thru. I got up on stage, started to walk around to the organ, and Brian appeared. I was NOT going to play keyboards in front of Brian Wilson. I can play vibes in my sleep....but not in front of the Big Guy. Brian was also going through his "I think some one is going to shoot me" OCD thing. So I had to tell him I was ok. We took pics together, and I asked him to sign my copy of LOVE YOU. He asked if I liked the Lp cuz he loves it. I do, that is why i brought it here.

2004 - Showed up to meet with DS and Brian. DS was down with the flu (he looked awful on stage) and Brian was horse. I decided since I too had the flu, it would be better not to push it.

Now he just needs to come back!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2009, 07:24:45 PM »

I met Brian at the end of the US Smile tour at Disney Hall in L.A., the first night.  I was sitting behind John Stamos and Mick Fleetwood (and wife), and next to a couple with two kids.  Turns out the kids went to school with Brian and Melinda's kids and the wife knows Melinda, so after the show they get me in to meet Brian backstage.  Brian seemed a little uncomfortable so I just stayed in the background, even though I had with me a signed Frank Holmes Smile cover poster that I had Van Dyke Parks sign during intermission.  Next thing I know, Brian is coming towards me with his hand outstretched, saying hi how are you and did you enjoy the show.  After stammering I told him how great he sang (which he did - the band members had just complimented him on the same thing as I went backstage, he was really "up" that night) and asked if he would sign the poster.  He said sure, signed it, and then went on to talk to Melinda.  Got Darian (Smile architect) to sign it the poster as well and I was on my way.

I had to return home the next day but Bob Hanes came in for the second night and I'm sure would have gotten me backstage, but work and duty called!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2009, 09:02:45 PM »

In October 1991, I drove about four hours into Washington D.C. to meet Brian at a book signing at a book store. I arrived early at 10:30 AM, Brian arrived at around 12:00 noon. He looked great, wearing black jeans, white shirt, black leather jacket, and that great hair. He walked over to a table, stopped, looked around at the large assembled crowd, and said in a funny voice, "Oh my, that's a lot of people." I don't want to sound weird but he puts out a very powerful vibe.

He sat down and immediately began tapping his foot while singing a song (I tried desperately to dicipher it, but couldn't), and was bopping his head to this song. He was real mellow, as if he just smoked a joint or something. The book store manager gave these instructions that "Mr. Wilson will only sign his book, NO MEMORABILIA!" I was upset because I brought along an original vinyl pressing of Pet Sounds to get signed. The manager also said that "Mr. Wilson will sign a short greeting in addition to his signature." I was fourth in line, but the very first person ruined it for everybody. She had written out on a piece of paper, "To a long-time fan from Washington D.C. blah, blah, blah...." And Brian couldn't write it. His hand was shaking as he wrote, and he had to have his bodyguard/aide Kevin Leslie read it to him. Well, Brian couldn't write that much. I'm not being disrespectful or demeaning, but Brian - at that time -could barely write his name. It was very sad. So, the manager saw this, intervened again, and said, "Mr. Wilson will write only your name and his signature." It was for the best.

Just before it was my turn to meet Brian, I gave my camera to some guy behind me, and told him, "Just take as many pictures as you can. Just keep hitting this button." So, I gave my book to Brian, and stood next to him as he signed it, so I could get in the picture. And, as fate would have it, just as Brian was signing my book, the manager was called away. I quickly got the Pet Sounds album out of a bag, handed it to Brian (he accepted it from me), and I politely asked Brian, "Would you please sign the greatest album of all-time on the white goat?" How corny was that? But he did! He signed it fairly legibly, right in the middle of the white goat! I put out my hand to shake his, and he obliged, shaking mine. I said, "Thank you for all of the great music, Brian." He looked me straight in the eyes, never said a word, didn't bat an eyelash, completely expressionless. Well, I was so excited, and didn't want to get apprehended, so I burned right out of that bookstore, signed Pet Sounds in hand. After I walked several blocks to my car, I realized that I sped out of there so fast, I forgot to retrieve my camera. So, I went back to the bookstore, and luckily, the guy was still in there - with my camera. I thanked the guy for taking the pictures (I got one good one out of it) and left again. I often wonder why I didn't just stand there and admire Brian in person; you know, just watch him, observe him. I mean, you could stand literally a few feet away from him. I guess I was overcome from the excitement of meeting BRIAN DOUGLAS WILSON!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2009, 09:36:15 PM »

In 1984, the Beach Boys returned to Washington, D.C. to play at the Washington Monument.  The day before a reception was held at a local hotel, which I attended.  Mike was there and some other members of the group, as well as Brian and Dr. Landy.  Brian was physically fit, but his behavior seemed strange to me, raising his voice at times, with Landy following him around the room and taking him aside and talking to him, as a parent would do with a child.  Odd.

In 1987 I ran into him at a running track where he was by himself and looked kind of surprised when I asked him when he was going to do a solo album.  He said he was working on one and took off around the track.
MBE
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2009, 10:21:44 PM »

I did an interview with him in 1999 where he was alert, friendly, and seemed to have a decent memory. He was short with his answers but was very polite and tried to recall the somewhat obscure questions I asked.

Here are two stories I remember fans telling me that took place in the sixties.
One was Brian shopping in Tower Records about 1969. He seemed normal and friendly but was dressed very formally suit and tie for no apparent reason.

Another was of a backstage meeting with the group in 1964. It was recalled that Brian came off as an studious intellectual, Mike kind of like a class clown, and Dennis the most outgoing. Dennis was also  conscientious of his visitors. making sure they had a drink or something to eat etc. I like this story best as it's Brian and Dennis as more who they originally were.
jiggityjars
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 11:08:58 AM »

This was at Borders on Michigan Avenue in Chicago around the time Imagination came out. I remember Melinda being there, and also Jim Peterik from the Ides of March was there. It looked like Jim had brought a guitar for Brian to sign! Maybe someone else can elaborate on the Jim Peterik thing. I also remember Dan Addington being there, and I remember Dan talking with Melinda for quite a while.

I purchased Imagination at the store, and I also brought my copy of the Pet Sounds box set to sign. I was not allowed by security to shake his hand, but I was able to tell him that "That's Not Me" was my favorite song of his, and that it was a great song. He politely said "thank you", and signed my Pet Sounds Box Set booklet on the front cover near his photo.

I still remember that day fondly!
Jason
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 11:13:13 PM »

I've met Brian (somewhat) twice. Both times at the Keswick in PA, 2004 and 2006. First time I met him, I walked up with my BWPS CD and held it out for him to sign. He did, and I politely thanked him for the concert (it was a rare great show on an inconsistent tour) and his music, and he never said one word to me!

Second time I saw him, I didn't get too close to him as a certain horizontally, follically, and generosity-challenged individual was pushing everyone away. And I don't mean the Lovester. Either way, it was a thrill just being in the same room as the guy, let alone a few feet away.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:16:05 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx