gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:53:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS: any comments from Mike, Al or Bruce yet?  (Read 24766 times)
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 12:33:34 PM »

While the Mrs and I were driving up to Stratford to see Hamlet a couple of weekends ago, the pop music station she was listening to played something by Bruce...kind of a disco tune...and then the DJ went into how it was by Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys.

Pipeline maybe? Bruce's disco version of that song was a small hit in some countries...

Yeah I think it was Pipeline. I'd never heard it before, and I don't usually listen to music on the radio. The wife might well have wanted Radio 2 on during a longish drive.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 01:32:56 PM »

When I say it's not commercial, I'm thinking of the whole album, with the narratives and all of that.

Still think its catchy moments could be called commercial, but I see what you're getting at.

In the sense, I guess, that radio airplay for the spoken narratives or for the entire suite is unlikely?

Be a bit like a DJ playing the entire Thick as a Brick, or Misplaced Childhood, or Lamb Lies Down... albums in their entirety, as they're essentially one track split by the need to turn LPs over.

Imagine being a DJ in charge of a show that allowed such indulgences! Money for old rope!

“We live in divisive times.”
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »

Be a bit like a DJ playing the entire Thick as a Brick, or Misplaced Childhood, or Lamb Lies Down... albums in their entirety, as they're essentially one track split by the need to turn LPs over.

Ooooh I'd listen to that radio programme!

Radio 4 (of all stations) played "Counting Out Time" (From Lamb Lies Down) when Genesis released We Can't Dance...odd track to choose really but it was a single - albeit not a hit.

TLOS is more commercial in that the individual songs do not need the concept. Almost any track on its own could conceivably find a home on radio. I'd imagine Radio 2 could find it within itself to play Morning Beat, or Forever She'll Be MY Surfer Girl, California Role, Going Home, Midnight's Another Day....oh they already have played Southern California in that programme about BW's production technique.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 08:28:44 AM »

And I would think that TLOS, being fairly un-commercial, would not be Mike's cup of tea.

I think it is very commercial. Some of the songs have real hit-potential imho

Nah...not in today's fickle music market where hit music has loud, obnoxious beats and literal references to female body parts.  It's probably best that That Lucky Old Sun doesn't try to compete with that...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »

That's an over-simplification of "today's fickle music market." A quick look at the Billboard Top 200's Top 10 shows four hip-hop albums, two metal/hard rock albums, a hybrid hip hop-rock album, a country-pop-cheese album, a tween-pop album and a musical soundtrack. No, the current music scene isn't geared toward 60-somethings, especially if they're waxing nostalgic--imagine, teenagers don't want to hear people their grandparents' age talking about the old days!--but that's no reason to dismiss what it is. There's still diversity out there, whether you happen to like the various offerings or not. TLOS doesn't realistically have hit potential (outside the adult contemporary market); that isn't a negative about it OR the charts. It's just how things work.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 09:12:52 AM »

Depends which "fickle market" you look at. A 60 year old was at #3 in the UK singles chart last week. With some promotion and perhaps a bit of luck there are several songs on TLOS which could chart as singles in the UK.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 09:18:15 AM »

I took a look at the BBB 'yellow' board for the first time in a couple of years just now. Bruce did indeed describe TLOS as "Remarkable!"...he also said he hoped sound-scan was kind to it, meaning he hoped it charted well. I don't think Bruce would say those things if he disliked TLOS.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 09:18:28 AM »

^ I don't at all mean it's impossible for an older person to have some success. In fact, I am trying to say almost the opposite. No, the market isn't geared toward older artists. It never was and never will be. And younger markets tend not to like older people playing backward-looking music. But that doesn't diminish that music and sure, somebody older can have a hit, just like a musical soundtrack or country album or metal album can chart well. My point: it's less likely to have a hit and not something to be expected, and more importantly, the charts aren't filled with the negative stereotype of a genre of music Awesoman doesn't like.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 10:43:26 AM »

Cross-posted in Awesoman's TLOS quickie-review thread too.

FWIW, my 8-year old daughter keeps hitting "repeat" on "Good Kind of Love" while playing the CD in the car, and she has the song pretty much memorized.  She likes "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl" too, but REALLY likes "Good Kind of Love" (which, odd for a Brian song, reminds me of a Brill Building-type tune in its simplicity and catchiness).

Now, this isn't scientific of course, but since these mid-elementary to tweener kids are THE demographic for everything nowadays, maybe "Good Kind of Love" is the single rather than "Surfer Girl."   And maybe Brian's version can make it.  (Unless they chicken out and give it to the Jonas Brothers or Taylor Swift or that American Idol guy, David Cook, to sing).

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 11:28:09 AM »

What does she think of Hey, Little Tomboy.

OK, getting coat.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 08:27:32 PM »

^ I don't at all mean it's impossible for an older person to have some success. In fact, I am trying to say almost the opposite. No, the market isn't geared toward older artists. It never was and never will be. And younger markets tend not to like older people playing backward-looking music. But that doesn't diminish that music and sure, somebody older can have a hit, just like a musical soundtrack or country album or metal album can chart well. My point: it's less likely to have a hit and not something to be expected, and more importantly, the charts aren't filled with the negative stereotype of a genre of music Awesoman doesn't like.

It's not that the charts are filled with misogynistic hip-hop...its that the "hit music" radio stations like to play nothing but that stuff and don't bother with anything else that's on the charts, maybe with the exception of tweenie bubblegum groups.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 02:52:36 AM »

Now, this isn't scientific of course, but since these mid-elementary to tweener kids are THE demographic for everything nowadays, maybe "Good Kind of Love" is the single rather than "Surfer Girl."   And maybe Brian's version can make it.  (Unless they chicken out and give it to the Jonas Brothers or Taylor Swift or that American Idol guy, David Cook, to sing).

I firmly believe that if there's one song on TLOS that could be a hit single, it's "Good Kind of Love". You can sing along with the chorus the second time you hear it and isn't that one of the main characteristics of a hit single?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »

I firmly believe that if there's one song on TLOS that could be a hit single, it's "Good Kind of Love". You can sing along with the chorus the second time you hear it and isn't that one of the main characteristics of a hit single?

I'd think so, or at least it was back in the day before hit singles became nothing but choruses and catchphrases being repeated ad nauseum for 3 minutes (i.e. songs by Fergie, Lil' Jon, etc.) or bland "rock" songs that all sound exactly the same (i.e. Nickelback, Hinder, Daughtry, 3 Doors Down, Fuel, Staind, Creed, etc.).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 03:07:18 PM »

I'd think so, or at least it was back in the day before hit singles became nothing but choruses and catchphrases being repeated ad nauseum for 3 minutes (i.e. songs by Fergie, Lil' Jon, etc.) or bland "rock" songs that all sound exactly the same (i.e. Nickelback, Hinder, Daughtry, 3 Doors Down, Fuel, Staind, Creed, etc.).

I just can't picture a song as sugary sweet and tame as "Good Kind of Love" sitting on the top ten with songs like "I Kissed A Girl".  There is nothing on That Lucky Old Sun that really could be a big radio hit and I'm fine with that.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 03:08:19 PM »

I think "Midnight's Another Day" could have gotten A/C play with a better lead vocal.  It has that timeless ballad quality to it.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 04:53:47 PM »

I just can't picture a song as sugary sweet and tame as "Good Kind of Love" sitting on the top ten with songs like "I Kissed A Girl".  There is nothing on That Lucky Old Sun that really could be a big radio hit and I'm fine with that.
I don't know... Pocketful of Sunshine by Natasha Bedingfield is pretty upbeat and that spent 11 weeks on the Billboard top 10 earlier this year.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 04:59:58 PM »

^ Yep. And the Jonas Brothers seem like the biggest thing going, and that's pure tween heaven right there, cute boys who are pretty squeaky clean, Disney style. (Probably actually literally Disney, in fact.) There are plenty of reasons for the charts not to favor Brian Wilson, not just one. He's old, the audience tends to be young, it's backward-facing music appealing to a mostly older crowd, and he probably looks below average in revealing clothing. There is no one issue to overcome or to blame. The stars could align and he could have a hit again, but it's really unlikely. No amount of vitriol toward rap or metal or dance-pop or charts or Billboard or Capitol or whatever else is going to change that. Such is life. The album is out and available. That's good.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 05:26:48 PM »

he probably looks below average in revealing clothing.

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 06:01:41 PM »

Age is one important factor in what determines record sales and chart success but it's not the only one.  Singers mentioned like the Jonas Brothers and Natasha Bedingfield, besides being young, cater to what sounds "hip", production wise.  A lot of today's music that the "kids" listen to these days have an aggressive, in-your-face, sexually-drenched style (even the bubblegum music) that contains overproduced synthesizers and drum beats straight out of Pro-Tools.  I realize I'm making some generalizations but I'm not that way off base.  "Good Kind of Love" isn't a bad song, but it's far too quaint, far too hunky dory of a ditty to really get the attention of the average 14 year old.  I've said it before but it would be more at home as the theme to a really cheesy 80's sitcom than obliterating the charts in this day and age.  I honestly couldn't even imagine hearing it play on the A/C radio stations.  There just isn't as much integrity in the entertainment industry as there used to be.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 06:49:46 PM »

There has absolutely never been integrity in the music industry. Ever. It may have once produced product more to your liking, but integrity? Ha! And in the 60s? Double ha. Read some of what Zappa (or many others) has to say about that "integrity." And as for the sexuality, it has always been "in your face" for the people to whom it isn't intended. Elvis was sexually in your face, the Stones were sexually in your face, Madonna blah blah and so on. The times, they aren't a changin at all. Audiences get old and new entertainers play for new audiences.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 07:39:50 PM »

I guess that if anything has changed it is societies' values.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »

Nah. They haven't changed much either. People just keep forgetting certain aspects of their youth. If there is a change, it is that advertisers are more blunt.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 07:58:22 PM »

All of the mentioned reasons are valid, of course. But, please, don't ignore the voice. I know we all love Brian, but that can obscure reality. Brian has never been on a "hit" single with his post-1975 voice. The closest he came was "Getcha Back". I know many will disagree, but I consider his "I'll leave her, and you leave him" part to be the weak part of the song, and I feel it was given to him just to give him a prominent place on the song. Carl would've been a better choice.
Wilsonista
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 08:11:23 PM »

You left out Brian's falsetto part on Getcha back.

Bob Dylan who has a less pleasing voice than Brian's (and is even worse asa concert performer than Brian) went to number 1 with his last album. I don't think Brian's voice is as much a barrier to his lack of commercial success as you like to think it is. 
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 08:27:33 PM »

All of the mentioned reasons are valid, of course. But, please, don't ignore the voice. I know we all love Brian, but that can obscure reality. Brian has never been on a "hit" single with his post-1975 voice. The closest he came was "Getcha Back". I know many will disagree, but I consider his "I'll leave her, and you leave him" part to be the weak part of the song, and I feel it was given to him just to give him a prominent place on the song. Carl would've been a better choice.

I agree that his voice may be part of the reason Sheriff, but I disagree on Getcha Back. Firstly the production sucks (but okay, I know this was the 80s, something I never experienced - so maybe the production fit at the time) but I always thought Mike's voice was REALLY REALLY annoying on that song. It's an okay song ruined by Love's ultra-annoying vocal. I'm sorry, there are just certain periods where Mike's voice gets on my nerves.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:30:23 PM by mikeyj » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx