gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680844 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 07:11:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS: any comments from Mike, Al or Bruce yet?  (Read 24882 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2008, 04:54:16 AM »

Just wondering...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:55:32 AM by shelter » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:55:47 AM »

Mike may give it a spin after he has read 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' and heard BWPS. Grin
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 05:19:30 PM »

Mike may give it a spin after he has read 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' and heard BWPS. Grin

i.e. Another lawsuit from the Lovester?? I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, but let's hope to hell that it doesn't.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:37:36 PM »

Over on the BBB board, Bruce was asked:

"Have you heard Brian's new album? Any thoughts you would like to share with us?"

His one-word response:

"Remarkable!"
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 01:05:34 AM »

Bruce was really positive about BWPS, but then in the run up to that release he was convalessing after his heart bypass operation...so he had time on his hands! I remember Bruce saying he'd bought a copy for Mike, who said he was too busy to listen!

I would have imagined Bruce would have more to say about TLOS.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:03:17 AM »

bruce isnt the person to take sites or say a "bad" thing about a fellow member. Mike isnt positive about any new song brian makes ( wonder why  Roll Eyes) and from Al i dont know.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 03:18:04 PM »

Bruce has said quite a few unkind things about Brian over the years, usually in reference to him perceiving him to be a shadow of his former self.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 10:46:56 PM »

OK, thanks missed those
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 05:42:21 AM »

If I remember correctly, Bruce once said about BW's solo records to be little more than just a nice way to keep Brian occupied. Even though it might've been true at certain times in the past (or even present?), it struck me as kind of rough on his part. On the other hand Bruce himself has been very critical even about his very own musical output. He seems to be downright embarrassed by almost any song he's written, Disney Girls excluded.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 08:33:54 AM »

Bruce says it like it is.

In recent years he's said of Brian, "He's improved a bit but he isn't back to what he was" and really...that is probably true.

TLOS is, however, remarkable. He's right there too.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:43:54 AM »

I'm glad Bruce said something about TLOS, and I'm glad he still takes enough interest in Brian's work to listen to it. We all know from his previous comments (pop Rachmaninov and all that) that he's a fan, and since he came to the BBs a bit later, he probably is a little bit more in awe of Brian than the guys who grew up with Brian and worked with him since they were teenagers.

I don't know what to make of Mike's lack of comment (so far) on TLOS and claim not to have listened to BWPS. You'd think he probably would listen, if only out of curiosity. And I would think that TLOS, being fairly un-commercial, would not be Mike's cup of tea. Maybe it's a case of "if you don't have anything nice to say..." and I can respect that. I always thought it would be nice if he at least acknowledged what a hurdle it was for Brian to work on Smile again, but I don't think that's in Mike's DNA. Saying nothing is better than what he said about Brian's first solo album. I thought he should have been more gracious about that one, even if he genuinely hated it.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »

Bruce says it like it is.

Probably.

But then again, what has he done the last 25 years?
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 11:38:38 AM »

My sentiments exactly. Brian coasting does a more than bruce working hard.

My guess is that when Love gets around to saying anything about it, he'll either say he hasn't heard it or say that it was good MUSICALLY and all but lacks that sort of boy-girl thing that makes it COMMERCIAL.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 12:16:01 PM »

"'Took the Diamond from my soul and turned it back into coal'?

"C'mon Bennett, what are these lyrics supposed to mean?

"Whaddya mean you can't explain 'em!"

Bennett either couldn't or wouldn't explain them and shortly afterwards walked off the project. Within months Brian had scrapped the That Lucky Old Sun project, and claimed to have burned the tapes.

Subsequently the band gathered in Brian's home studio to record a self-produced album that would be but a poor reflection of the music Brian had been working on for months.

That Lucky Old Smiley Smile was, commented Foskett, "a bunt instead of a grand slam".

“We live in divisive times.”
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 01:09:32 PM »

"'Took the Diamond from my soul and turned it back into coal'?

"C'mon Bennett, what are these lyrics supposed to mean?

"Whaddya mean you can't explain 'em!"

Bennett either couldn't or wouldn't explain them and shortly afterwards walked off the project. Within months Brian had scrapped the That Lucky Old Sun project, and claimed to have burned the tapes.

Subsequently the band gathered in Brian's home studio to record a self-produced album that would be but a poor reflection of the music Brian had been working on for months.

That Lucky Old Smiley Smile was, commented Foskett, "a bunt instead of a grand slam".

Yes, but wouldn't the album have been called "That Lucky Old Sunnier Sun"?  Wink
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »

And I would think that TLOS, being fairly un-commercial, would not be Mike's cup of tea.

I think it is very commercial. Some of the songs have real hit-potential imho

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »

I always thought it would be nice if he at least acknowledged what a hurdle it was for Brian to work on Smile again, but I don't think that's in Mike's DNA.

Maybe Mike doesn't think Brian put much "work" into BWPS. Or, that it would've been more of a "hurdle" to compose an album of all new songs, instead of re-recording 38 year old ones...
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »

[Maybe Mike doesn't think Brian put much "work" into BWPS. Or, that it would've been more of a "hurdle" to compose an album of all new songs, instead of re-recording 38 year old ones...

I'm talking about the psychological aspect of revisiting something that represented such a profound failure for someone who was touted as this great genius. Whether he was a big part of "finishing" it or not, the fact that he was willing to present it after all these years was a big deal. In terms of workload, well, he did a hell of a lot of work in the 60s, and just performing it night after night couldn't have been easy.
Compose an album of new songs? He just did that, and as I said, time will tell whether Mike comments on that or not. I know there's a lot of talk about "Brianistas," but this backlash where Brian (who has been releasing music consistently) just can't win, and Mike (who has been sitting on an album for years) is beyond reproach is just too much sometimes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »

I know there's a lot of talk about "Brianistas," but this backlash where Brian (who has been releasing music consistently) just can't win, and Mike (who has been sitting on an album for years) is beyond reproach is just too much sometimes.

In regard to Brian and Mike being compared as solo artists, songwriters, or composers, there is no comparison. And I don't see anybody making them.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »

Bruce does like to talk about I Write The Songs. If you remember the WOTS podcast where he commented on Disney Girls, he happened to slide in thta i Erite The Songs sold 25 million...I still can't figure that out.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 05:01:49 AM »

And I would think that TLOS, being fairly un-commercial, would not be Mike's cup of tea.

I think it is very commercial. Some of the songs have real hit-potential imho

Not sure they'd be hits given today's fickle X Factor type market, but it's certainly a commercial sounding album. Throw in the Wilson/Bacharach track What Love Can Do (I can't get that turn out of my head!), Just Like Me And You and a fully realised Message Man and I reckon you've the strongest collection of new work from any Beach Boy camp since POB (excepting BWPS, cos it seems the done thing to except it!).

absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 10:09:14 AM »

While the Mrs and I were driving up to Stratford to see Hamlet a couple of weekends ago, the pop music station she was listening to played something by Bruce...kind of a disco tune...and then the DJ went into how it was by Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 10:18:35 AM »

While the Mrs and I were driving up to Stratford to see Hamlet a couple of weekends ago, the pop music station she was listening to played something by Bruce...kind of a disco tune...and then the DJ went into how it was by Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys.

Pipeline maybe? Bruce's disco version of that song was a small hit in some countries...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 11:00:40 AM »

Aye, think I heard it on Radio 2 recently, on a yester-year chart type prog. Must have been a minor UK hit.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 12:28:48 PM »

When I say it's not commercial, I'm thinking of the whole album, with the narratives and all of that.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx