gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:04:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS: any comments from Mike, Al or Bruce yet?  (Read 24763 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2008, 05:20:24 PM »

But it rocks. They come from different traditions, different influences(other than Chuck Berry).

The only people who may have Dylan beaten or are on par with him in the lyric department, IMO, are Van Dyke Parks, Jack Reiley, Steven Page of Barenaked Ladies, and Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel. I've always thought Dylan should write lyrics for Brian, even if it's only for one song. 

Jack Reiley???  Barenaked Ladies?  Seriously, none of these people you mention even hold a candle to Dylan's lyrics.  Have you ever even listened to Dylan other than "Blowin' In The Wind"?

Maybe I'm just trying to delude myself because I'm tired of always hearing about how great Dylan is/was.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2008, 07:22:59 PM »

But it rocks. They come from different traditions, different influences(other than Chuck Berry).

The only people who may have Dylan beaten or are on par with him in the lyric department, IMO, are Van Dyke Parks, Jack Reiley, Steven Page of Barenaked Ladies, and Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel. I've always thought Dylan should write lyrics for Brian, even if it's only for one song. 

Jack Reiley???  Barenaked Ladies?  Seriously, none of these people you mention even hold a candle to Dylan's lyrics.  Have you ever even listened to Dylan other than "Blowin' In The Wind"?

Maybe I'm just trying to delude myself because I'm tired of always hearing about how great Dylan is/was.

Dylan is great; nothing wrong with that.  No harm done if he's not your taste; but to deny his profound impact on popular music is absurd.  The same could be said for Brian Wilson.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »

Stop challenging gospel. Opinions are allowed, but impotent. The songwriters you prefer are inferior. If you insist on liking them, we will smile, pat your head and excuse you to the kids' table.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2008, 11:25:12 PM »

Stop challenging gospel. Opinions are allowed, but impotent. The songwriters you prefer are inferior. If you insist on liking them, we will smile, pat your head and excuse you to the kids' table.

I agree that Dylan had a profound impact on popular music, but he is not untouchable! Guess what, inferiority is highly subjective! Neither of our opinions really mean much in the long run, but I'm going to stand by mine because I'm a stubborn asshole. And gospel needs to ALWAYS be challenged!!!

And yes, I realize this thread has gone wayyyy off-topic, I apologize for that.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2008, 01:02:42 AM »

I agree that Dylan had a profound impact on popular music, but he is not untouchable! Guess what, inferiority is highly subjective! Neither of our opinions really mean much in the long run, but I'm going to stand by mine because I'm a stubborn butthole. And gospel needs to ALWAYS be challenged!!!

And yes, I realize this thread has gone wayyyy off-topic, I apologize for that.

No man, Dylan is at the top. Maybe one day you will hear this. Seriously, it's all about the Dylan. I was just having a conversation about this today. He was definitely the most influential amongst his peers, and his talent is so multi-faceted it wouldn't be right to try and summarize them.

Side note: Streaming Bootleg Series 8 - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95047293

Also, TLOS is a good album

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2008, 06:11:00 AM »

Chalk me up for Dylan. He's awesome. Find "Jokerman" on Youtube. Or anything early, like "Only A Pawn In Their Game" or "Hard Rain". Gospel doesn't always need to challenged, not for it's own sake. You do it because you feel it, not just to be an irreverent gunslinger. Waits is also a brilliant lyricist. And Robert Hunter, too.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2008, 06:52:23 AM »

Jack freaking Reiley vs. Dylan??? And I thought that standing for the non-Wilsons in the band was tough.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
art rush
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2008, 08:47:16 AM »

you can't deny the dylan. just listen to blood on the tracks.
lyrically he's basically king. he's like t.s. eliot.

but let's see him write a piece of music like "cabinessence" Wink
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2008, 08:14:38 PM »

you can't deny the dylan. just listen to blood on the tracks.
lyrically he's basically king. he's like t.s. eliot.

but let's see him write a piece of music like "cabinessence" Wink

Agreed...Dylan is probably hands down the best lyricist ever in rock music.  That is where his influence was felt.  Musically though, someone like Brian wipes the floor with him, easily. 
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2008, 10:16:42 PM »

Makes you wonder what might result if Dylan wrote lyrics for Brian...

Probably a total disaster but you never know...
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »

I'd love to hear that "total disaster", though, if it were to ever happen.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2008, 11:11:47 AM »

I doubt they'd work with four hands on a piano.... Brian would write the same kind of songs he's been writing, and Dylan would set lyrics on it. Like the Wilson/Parks The Waltz. Judging by the supremely overrated and overhyped Bacharach / Costello colaboration, this could be a Brian release that would atract a new audience.

At least Bob wouldn't write about how "he used to call the shots around here" and the sorts.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »

You can't ask questions about the greatness of Bob Dylan because he has 'God on his side'!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx