gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:53:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS: any comments from Mike, Al or Bruce yet?  (Read 24761 times)
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2008, 06:11:03 AM »

Hmmm...so maybe there actually more of his biggest fans around thirty years later?
The Beach Boys were has-beens and a golden oldies act in the 70s... Brian has now been 'adopted' by the alternative music scene as an icon... I think that's the difference...
I thought about that.... Pre-Endless Smmer, yeah. But after the Brian's Back campaign, we have a transition to the 90's icon. The difference is that in the 70s and 80s people expected him to go back to his 63-65 commercial heyday, and today the hipsters want another Pet Sounds or Smile.

I never knew that he was gone etc.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »

Quality is definately what sells. That is why 'Cotton Fields', 'I Write the Songs', 15 Big Ones and 'Kokamo' all did so well on the charts, while Friends, Sunflower, Love You and Pacific Ocean Blue flopped! Tongue

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2008, 01:01:09 PM »

Now thou smellest that in which I do  step.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2008, 07:43:36 AM »

Quality is definately what sells. That is why 'Cotton Fields', 'I Write the Songs', 15 Big Ones and 'Kokamo' all did so well on the charts, while Friends, Sunflower, Love You and Pacific Ocean Blue flopped! Tongue

However, Cottonfields IS awesome.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »

Hmmm...so maybe there actually more of his biggest fans around thirty years later?

The Beach Boys were has-beens and a golden oldies act in the 70s... Brian has now been 'adopted' by the alternative music scene as an icon... I think that's the difference...

Sorry to go off-topic, but this is also a sad thing about Carl Wilson not being around when he would also have picked up a lot of this affection and respect had he wanted it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2008, 02:06:16 PM »

Mike makes a comment on Brians album...just!

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/victoria/story.html?id=f22081d4-88bb-4c05-8a46-edcecbc92a8e
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2008, 06:21:43 PM »

I don't know if I would call that a "comment"...he simply acknowledged the existance of TLOS.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2008, 06:36:33 PM »

Oh ok. How about this then?

MIKE LOVE PROMOTES THAT LUCKY OLD SUN

Grin
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:40:39 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2008, 07:40:24 PM »

Oh ok. How about this then?

MIKE LOVE PROMOTES THAT LUCKY OLD SUN

Grin

Much better!
radiant radish
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2008, 10:29:55 PM »

i dont think mike would want to admit if it was a good album or not unless he was on it. i think at that age and the amount of years someone has been in the industry,new albums are looked at as part of the job,not in the enjoyable sence that we listen to them.it woulsd be "ok,this guy is doing this" or "this guy is doing that" mike would probably listen to old stuff and in brians case,mike would have brians album down the bottom of his list of albums to listen to.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2008, 10:51:39 PM »

Was The Facts of Life confused with Full House and/or Baywatch?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2008, 12:23:47 AM »

And Bob Dylan is a far more respected songwriter than Brian Wilson is.

I have a theory about that. One of the reasons why Bob Dylan is such a respected songwriter is because everybody and their brother have recorded his songs, right? And I don't think that's because his songs were just better than Brian's... I think it has more to do with the fact that his songs are just a lot easier to cover and to make your own.

I think it has much more to do with the fact that he is a brilliant lyricist, and his music documents each generation. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »

And Bob Dylan is a far more respected songwriter than Brian Wilson is.

I have a theory about that. One of the reasons why Bob Dylan is such a respected songwriter is because everybody and their brother have recorded his songs, right? And I don't think that's because his songs were just better than Brian's... I think it has more to do with the fact that his songs are just a lot easier to cover and to make your own.

I think it has much more to do with the fact that he is a brilliant lyricist, and his music documents each generation. 

A lot of Dylan's songs, as great as they are lyrically, musically his songs are pretty simple and folky, quite straightforward, nowhere near as quirky, odd, and complex as some of Brian's stuff.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2008, 01:21:53 PM »

But it rocks. They come from different traditions, different influences(other than Chuck Berry).
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »

But it rocks. They come from different traditions, different influences(other than Chuck Berry).

I never said Dylan didn't rock. Just said his music is simple and straightforward. Dylan's lyrics, on the other hand, are often times poetic masterpieces. The only people who may have Dylan beaten or are on par with him in the lyric department, IMO, are Van Dyke Parks, Jack Reiley, Steven Page of Barenaked Ladies, and Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel. I've always thought Dylan should write lyrics for Brian, even if it's only for one song. I'm surprised that Brian and Dylan haven't collaborated on anything beyond an overdubbed vocal on an unreleased song ("Spirit of Rock and Roll").

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2008, 02:15:35 PM »

The Spirit of Rock and Roll is a released song now, finally. (Songs from whatever and then and back or whatever) Just not that version. so it's not an unreleased song.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2008, 02:16:06 PM »

Also, Barenaked Ladies guy in the same realm as VDP etc cracked me up.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »

I'd love to hear a true collaberation between Dylan and Brian, as long as Dylan was only responsible for the lyrics and was kept far far away from a microphone.  I'd be curious to see what Brian could make of his lyrics.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2008, 08:46:50 PM »

Also, Barenaked Ladies guy in the same realm as VDP etc cracked me up.

Its just my personal opinion (which really doesn't have a lot of weight)   ...give a listen to more than just BNL's hits and you'll understand...or most likely not.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2008, 04:30:51 AM »

They are all post-Dylan, I reckon, even BNL.(haven't heard that much of them. My Canadian boss loves 'em.)

I don't find Jack Reilly all that great, though, certainly not on a par with Dylan--though definitely influenced by him. I think you don't get more embarrassing than Feel Flows, though I like Trader.

Even Dylan himself, sometimes, is not as good as Dylan, though.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 04:32:15 AM by lance » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2008, 07:25:53 AM »

give a listen to more than just BNL's hits and you'll understand...or most likely not.
Are you calling me too stupid to understand?  Wink  It's ok if so, I can take it. Anyway, I've heard quite a bit of BNL--too much for my taste, and more than just the hits. Friends of mine like them, and I don't. What's worse, after nearly every show of my own music I've ever done, somebody (soundman, someone from the crowd, whatever) ALWAYS says "hey, cool ... kind of a Barenaked Ladies thing." So what was once only dislike is now vicious wound-salting.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2008, 08:23:58 AM »

[/quote]

A lot of Dylan's songs, as great as they are lyrically, musically his songs are pretty simple and folky, quite straightforward, nowhere near as quirky, odd, and complex as some of Brian's stuff.
[/quote]

I think that's why they lend themselves to cover versions - simple musically, provocative lyrically - plus the fact that Dylan's ragged voice makes his own versions less approachable and "commercial" than the same songs sung by more talented singers.

Brian's songs have more complex chord changes, are harder to cover both musically and vocally.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2008, 12:12:27 PM »

give a listen to more than just BNL's hits and you'll understand...or most likely not.
Are you calling me too stupid to understand?  Wink  It's ok if so, I can take it. Anyway, I've heard quite a bit of BNL--too much for my taste, and more than just the hits. Friends of mine like them, and I don't. What's worse, after nearly every show of my own music I've ever done, somebody (soundman, someone from the crowd, whatever) ALWAYS says "hey, cool ... kind of a Barenaked Ladies thing." So what was once only dislike is now vicious wound-salting.

No, I wasn't calling you stupid. Its OK if you don't like a certain band. There are bands that I can't stand that other people swear their life on.

Wilsonista
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2008, 05:00:41 PM »

Kind of like Parker and Stone being told that South Park is just as good as Family Guy?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »

The only people who may have Dylan beaten or are on par with him in the lyric department, IMO, are Van Dyke Parks, Jack Reiley, Steven Page of Barenaked Ladies, and Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel. I've always thought Dylan should write lyrics for Brian, even if it's only for one song. 

Jack Reiley???  Barenaked Ladies?  Seriously, none of these people you mention even hold a candle to Dylan's lyrics.  Have you ever even listened to Dylan other than "Blowin' In The Wind"?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx