gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 04:50:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I said a Prayer (This isn't Love)  (Read 1742 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2008, 07:57:54 AM »

I just heard this about a week ago, listening to the cocaine sessions and it really struck me as a beautiful song. I googled it to see if Brian had recorded any 'proper' versions of it and was surprised to see that it shows up on Live at the Roxy Theatre, which I own, but haven't listened to in years! Anyway I dug that out to find Brian and his band perform a much more finished version which made me think maybe there's a studio version somewhere.

What's the story with this song? Is it a BW original, and are there any other recordings of it besides the two I've mentioned?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jason
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:44:24 AM »

The 1981 version is a BW original but there is a 1997 solo piano version out there, and the "finished" version on Live at the Roxy is a Wilson/Asher composition.
SG7
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:48:14 AM »

Actually there is two piano versions out there.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:24:11 AM »

The 1981 version is a BW original but there is a 1997 solo piano version out there, and the "finished" version on Live at the Roxy is a Wilson/Asher composition.

Thanks that's great to know. I love it, especially the 81 version.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:26:29 PM »

Personally, I've never heard much of a resemblance between I Said A Prayer, and This Isn't Love. The melody to TIL is a little like ISAP, but at a much faster tempo. While we're on the subject of ISAP, I have a question about it. On the version from the cocaine tapes, is Brian(or whoever is playing the piano) consistantly hitting the wrong note, or is it just a typical BW weird chord sequence? There is a certain note that sticks out to me, that sounds like it shouldn't fit.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »

You can find (and watch) a version of "This isn't love" in the DVD Brian Wilson "On Tour";
beautiful song!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx