gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:27:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pleasure Island...Brians next album?  (Read 19663 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »

Not letting the grass grow! Shocked

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24299918-2902,00.html

Beach Boy's rebirthArticle from: Sunday Herald Sun  September 07, 2008 12:00am
YOU CAN cross the Beach Boys off the list of veteran musical giants likely to reform for a reunion tour.

While the Stones never went away, The Who continue to tour with half the original members and even the mighty Led Zeppelin got back together for one night only this year, the chances of the remaining Beach Boys appearing on the same stage seem marginally less remote than all four Beatles recording a new album of death metal covers.

Although the three surviving founding members of the Californian surf band -- Brian Wilson, his cousin Mike Love and old school friend Al Jardine -- supposedly settled their differences over who had the right to use the Beach Boys name this year, there clearly are still other issues to be resolved.

It has led to the bizarre situation in which Love toured Australia last year as the Beach Boys, cranking out the old hits, followed weeks later by the outfit's undisputed genius Wilson, who was reviving the 1966 masterpiece album Pet Sounds as well as previewing his long awaited concept album That Lucky Old Sun.

"There isn't anybody I know -- my publicist, my wife, my managers, myself, my current group -- I don't think any of us think there is any hope for a Beach Boys reunion," Wilson says vehemently over the phone from his home in Los Angeles where his neighbours include Robbie Williams, Paul Stanley and Avril Lavigne.

Given the troubled years of band life that ultimately would claim the lives of his younger brothers Dennis and Carl (see story at right), Wilson can be forgiven for not wanting to re-hash history.

But he is indulging in his own personal nostalgia. That Lucky Old Sun, released yesterday, is described as "a musical love letter from Southern California" and an "autobiographical travelogue".

Inspired by Louis Armstrong's version of the classic 1949 song, Wilson looks back at his life and LA upbringing and its joy, horror and hope, sometimes with startling honesty. Wilson's songwriting is as exquisite as ever and by reteaming with his long-time collaborator, producer and arranger, Van Dyke Parks, the concept album shines and shimmers with the lavish production and sweet harmonies that made songs such as Good Vibrations and God Only Knows among the finest pop songs ever written.

"It is an introspective album -- some of it is, but not all -- it's a very expressive album," says Wilson.

"It's a concept album involving five series of 35-second narrations about poetic images of LA and California which we call the heartbeat of LA, it has That Lucky Old Sun theme and 10 original songs. How can you go wrong with something like that?"

The album represents something of a late-career renaissance for Wilson, 66, following the belated release of his SMiLE album in 2004, 37 years after it was first conceived. After the promise, invention and ambition of the early Beach Boys music -- Pet Sounds famously inspired the Beatles to write Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band -- Wilson's career was derailed by decades of drug abuse, binge eating and mental illness.

H E addresses the missing years on the song Midnight's Another Day, singing:

"Swept away in a brainstorm -- chapters missing, pages torn, waited too long to feel the warm, I had to chase the sun."

Still scarred by the dark times, but determined to make up for them, Wilson recognises the influence drugs such as LSD had on his music -- and not always for the worse.

"Of course many people besides myself took a lot of drugs in the 1960s and '70s," he says candidly, if a little irritably.

"A lot of people took them and a lot of people suffered the side effects. But the creative aspect of drugs is a good thing. The side effects are a bad thing. Drugs do inspire music -- there is a correlation between drugs and the inspiration to write music, but it is not a wise thing to do."

So knowing what he knows now and the price he paid, would he do it all over again?

"No, I wouldn't have. I would have done it without drugs," he says.

Ultimately it was music that was Wilson's redemption and a recognition that his talent was too rare to squander.

The line "I heard my sound and found my smile" from the new song Going Home recognises the ecstatic reaction that the SMiLE album and tour earned.

He says he feels both surprised and blessed to still be writing music at his age and is still as hard on himself in the studio as he ever was.

He is physically fit thanks to a daily 8km walk and brimming with ideas (he says another concept album, Pleasure Island, a rock fantasy, is in its very early stages).
"I think that you have a choice," he says. "You either throw something away or you go for it. I choose to go for something. If you throw something away, that's like finding money and throwing it away. If you found $100,000 cash on the street, would you throw it away? No, you would keep that money. It's like I would not throw away a new song."

That Lucky Old Sun is out now.

edit....Oops!   Just noticed TonyW from Australia has posted this under the Australia Reviews link.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:03:18 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:02:16 PM »

I have to believe this is a joke from Brian.

It has to be ...

... right?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:30:18 PM »

Maybe it's the long awaited "rock and roll album".

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 07:17:24 PM »

More details in the latest Rolling Stone:

"I'm working on a new album now," he says later, as we get near his house. "It's called Pleasure Island: A Rock Fantasy. It's about some guys who took a hike, and they found a place called Pleasure Island. And they met all kinds of chicks, and they went on rides and — it's just a concept. I haven't developed it yet. I think people are going to love it — it could be the best thing I've ever done."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »

Ok lets go with it then!

During his time with the Beach Boys Brian would write a song and say 'that ones for Mike' or 'Carls voice would be perfect' on various songs.

He now has a band 'better than the Beach Boys'. His words, not mine!

Write the songs, allocate the leads to who he thinks would suit it best in his band, himself included.

Produce the album.

Title it Brian Wilson and That Lucky Old Band (band name from current release)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 07:40:45 PM »

"I'm working on a new album now," he says later, as we get near his house. "It's called Pleasure Island: A Rock Fantasy. It's about some guys who took a hike, and they found a place called Pleasure Island. And they met all kinds of chicks, and they went on rides and — it's just a concept. I haven't developed it yet. I think people are going to love it — it could be the best thing I've ever done."

Sounds like he's inspired. We might be witnessing a late career renaissance.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 07:46:17 PM »

And they met all kinds of chicks

...one could be 'Proud Mary'

que intro. Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »

Heh heh.

On the way back home, I ask Wilson if he can imagine a time he'll retire. "I can't retire," he says. "If I retired I wouldn't have anything to do. It's still hard for me. It's a struggle. But I gotta keep singing."

Yep. He's determined.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 07:53:49 PM »

I can see it now. Palisades Park (A Rock Opera). Produced by Brian Wilson. Additional Production by Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon. Forever she'll be my Tallahassie Lassie....
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 08:03:18 PM »

If nothing else, I love Brian's enthusiasm.  It seems like after Smile, Brian actually has a desire to create again that doesn't seem to be coming from external influences. 

It's really great to see Brian excited about creating music again...obviously very exciting for us too, given the quality of TLOS.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 08:35:58 PM »

Pleasure Island: A Rock Fantasy . . .

I can see it now. Palisades Park (A Rock Opera).

Why not . . . Carnival of Sound . . . picking up where Jan Berry left off ?

M.

Jez Graham
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 06:10:11 AM »

I suppose this is somewhat off topic but since Pleasure Island is being discussed, here is a song I wrote and recorded in the early 90's with the same title.  The descending chord sequence will be somewhat familiar. 
http://www.myspace.com/jezgraham

Jez
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 06:43:43 AM »

Sounds like he's inspired. We might be witnessing a late career renaissance.

I think this has to be for real. It sounds like exactly the kind of kitschy concept Brian would come up with left to his own devices.

I really hope that Message Man and Just Like Me & You show up in some form in this new project. I love those songs, plus the production of I'm into Something Good is great. If these are any indication of where Brian is headed next then I'm very excited about it.

My absurdly premature prediction is that, if this happens, the idea will be so camp that it will get panned by the critics, but it'll be just the type of wacked out, idiosyncratic stuff that many of us fans will adore. I'm hoping for Love You mk 2! Of course "Pleasure Island" as a title, has the sort of whimsical air of something that may always remain out of reach, so I do hope this doesn't become another shelved BW project.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 07:20:13 AM »

Let's hope it's better than this one:

http://www.pleasure-island.co.uk/home
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 09:29:45 AM »

Let's hope it's better than this one:

http://www.pleasure-island.co.uk/home

The phrase 'I binned that recording' is redundant now. It just has to be replaced by: 'it went into the Obliterator'...

am I the only one who is not exactly waiting for that Pleasure Island concept album?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 10:26:34 AM »

I think this has to be for real. It sounds like exactly the kind of kitschy concept Brian would come up with left to his own devices.

Isn't that a BW fan's wet dream?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 10:34:18 AM »

Isn't that a BW fan's wet dream?

No. One 'Mt. Vernon And Fairway' is enough.  police

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SG7
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 10:58:25 AM »

I don't know about this guys. This is the same dude that has been saying he is going to put out a rock and roll album for the last 13 years and that he was going to do a children's album with VDP (and we got the Christmas album instead. Go figure.) A lot of times I think he just says things to get people excited and never actually does them (or they never get released.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:11:07 PM by SurferGirl7 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 11:23:08 AM »

That's how I normally view things too. Key word is "normally". This time, though, he seems more focused and determined.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 11:47:26 AM »

I don't know about this guys. This is the same dude that has been saying he is going to put out a rock and roll album for the last 13 years and that he was going to do a children's album with VDP (and we got the Christmas album instead. Go figure.) A lot of times I think he just says things to get people excited and never actually does them (or they never get released.)

I think he was recording his rock n' roll album with Scott Bennett, and then he got the call from the Southbank Centre, so some of those songs ended up on TLOS instead.  Morning Beat and Going Home are certainly rockers, and we've heard that MAD was more up-tempo originally.  Add the Carole King song and Just Like Me And You, and you've got the start of a fine rock n' roll album.  I do see your point, though.  I'm just sayin'.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 12:03:23 PM »

Listening to the quality of the bonus cuts on TLOS (Oh Mi Amore aside!) I get the impression he has more songs that we haven't heard from this latest writing spree and he just wants to make the most of them, i.e. get another album out of it. He has a great band, very sympathetic to the BW sound, he's had great reviews for TLOS so now is surely the best time for him to knock another album out. It's wishful thinking on my part, but I don't think it's totally unfeasible.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 01:49:27 PM »

...and maybe Brians management negotiated with Capitol  for two albums! Thud
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:51:35 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 02:49:18 PM »

But if Brian were planning to suck another album out of this grouping of songs, do you really think he'd have released a bunch of bonus tracks?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 03:24:49 PM »

Listening to the quality of the bonus cuts on TLOS (Oh Mi Amore aside!) I get the impression he has more songs that we haven't heard from this latest writing spree
I believe he has been saying they recorded 18 songs as a part of that spree.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Beach Bum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »

There are more songs. It would not surprise me to see a couple of these bonus cuts on the next album, such is their quality. Message Man is awesome.

Let him run wild, he don't care.

Let him run wild, he don't care
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx