gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:56:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS debuts at #37 in the UK.  (Read 7303 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:03:32 AM »

Not good. Not good at all.  Sad

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilsonista
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:17:03 AM »

Just as I suspected.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:19:26 AM »

HMV Newcastle had about 3 copies yesterday. Only the version with the DVD.  No real promotion.  He's on Live from Abby Road this Friday - a week too late - at quarter to one in the fucking morning!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:41:39 AM »

Totally off-topic here.... but did we forget your birthday yesterday, Andrew? Yes we did, didn't we? Belated congrats!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:47:01 AM »

That is 16 spaces above where GIOMH premiered in the UK.

I'm a bit surprised, but I'm just not familiar with what the promotion has been like in the UK.

In the US, it's been excellent -- so I think the album may actually hit the charts higher over here. Just a hunch.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »

These are figures from a couple of minutes ago.

Amazon in the US -- No. 5 (regular), No. 56 (CD/DVD)
Amazon in the UK -- No. 145 (regular), No. 130 (CD/DVD)

What gives Huh

Andrew, what's up with your country? (joke)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:52:35 AM by claymcc » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 12:00:18 PM »

This is mind blowing..

Did capitol even think to promote the album in the UK?

Hey still decent though  Grin

The US debut is looking to be very impressive though, I read that somewhere, will look for a link.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 12:01:39 PM by Wild_Honey-In_Stereo » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 12:18:41 PM »

I haven't noticed any promotion. Of course reviews have appeared in all the usual places but I've seen no advertising....mind you I haven't leafed through Mojo for a few months so there could be something in there.

Yesterday I checked out my local HMV, couldn't find any evidence of TLOS. No sign of it in "new releases", no Brian at all in the pop/rock section (though there were a couple of Beach Boys CD's), nothing in the "Summer" section.....I had a wander round and couldn't find it at all.

Wasn't in my local Asda or Tesco either. All worrying, and possibly accounts for the slightly disappointing chart position.
Tomorrow I am going to make the trip to a proper record shop, and see what's up there....its the kind of place where if you mention Brian, some member of staff is bound to jump over the counter and start talking...

Is TLOS getting any radio play here? I rarely listen to any station that plays music, but has Radio 2 given it much attention...apart from the doc on Brian as a producer a couple of weeks ago?

#37 is respectable, but I had hoped for more. The Amazon figures are apalling.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 12:23:01 PM »

I still can't get over how will it's doing on Amazon US,

It's proves what good marketing can do to an album.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »

What's even weirder is that the UK is primed to buy BW stuff -- Smile was Top 10 there, for goodness' sake. I don't think it would take much to have gotten the album 10 or 15 spots higher. It just seems like it didn't know this album was even coming.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »

Wasn't in my local Asda or Tesco either. All worrying, and possibly accounts for the slightly disappointing chart position.
Tomorrow I am going to make the trip to a proper record shop, and see what's up there....

Frankly I'm staggered that its broken the Top 40 at all. Who on earth buys Brian Wilson records apart from the people that visit boards like this?

Happy birthday Andrew.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 01:31:47 PM »

Tomorrow I am going to make the trip to a proper record shop, and see what's up there....

Frankly I'm staggered that its broken the Top 40 at all. Who on earth buys Brian Wilson records apart from the people that visit boards like this?

Happy birthday Andrew.

Idiotic

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 01:37:46 PM »

Idiotic
Come on: disagreeing is fine, but why not substantiate or explain your disagreement rather than resorting to that?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 01:42:32 PM »

On the topic, I'm a little disappointed but not particularly surprised. I don't really follow the charts at all, and most of my favorites rarely sniff the upper reaches of them. But I guess I assumed BW would do better in the UK, if only because my understanding of his reputation there is that it would carry him more. I hope for a respectable showing on the U.S. charts--especially since there have been some online and TV appearances, the live streaming, etc.--but for the most part I think brother john is correct. Brian isn't a shapely 19-year-old woman or a shirtless, muscular man. His peak years of fame are well behind him. Timbaland didn't produce this. It won't be played in the clubs. If he has a respectable showing on the charts, it should be considered a great success. He's just not going to win over vast numbers of people. This isn't an insult to Brian, but it's what I think is real life for him. Whatever bump Capitol gives him will be great, but it's not going to be 1963 all over again.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 01:45:44 PM »

Good point Brother John, but Brian (and the Beach Boys, too, for that matter), have usually been more popular in the UK than in the US, which means either it's going to bomb in the US, or is actually going to outsell the UK version by a large margin, which I don't think anyone saw coming.

Hell, maybe it's because the UK version supposedly sounds like ass in comparison.

Luther, I agree 100%.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 01:47:30 PM »

I think the big problem is the time lag - back in '04, BWPS was in the stores less than seven months after he'd premiered it and in the interim had been toured over here again, so was still in the public eye & ear. TLOS was performed just under a year ago, then the momentum was lost.

That said, #37 is still very disappointing, and I seriously doubt it'll climb much, if at all. I'm hoping the US figure is significantly better.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »

Plus BWPS had almost 40 years of hype. But yeah, I dig what you're saying. Why in hell it took so long (relatively speaking of course!) in the UK is beyond me. Also too, he performed it many more times in the UK than in the US, so maybe it'll do better here due to less saturation...?

I dunno. Feel like I'm grasping at straws or something.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 01:59:48 PM »

Dennis' reissue did well here, though I suspect that had a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon (i've met quite a few of them), so the audience is obviously here. I haven't seen much promotion about it here though.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 02:07:35 PM »

Also too, he performed it many more times in the UK than in the US, so maybe it'll do better here due to less saturation...?

Before anybody says anything, I'm more than aware that the US premier was just a couple of days ago.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 02:16:27 PM »

More than aware!? Super-aware! Hyper-aware!  LOL

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 02:38:21 PM »

FWIW I pre-ordered mine from Amazon and it didn't arrive until the Friday.  I don't know whether that's an indication of scarcity of product in the UK.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 02:40:54 PM »

Hmm...

More than aware!? Super-aware! Hyper-aware!

LOL

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 02:49:35 PM »

I am sorry, did not mean to snap at Brother John at all.

But I just feel that it placed less than satisfyingly, due to the lack of promotion, not lack of interest.

Let's think about it, apart from a review here and there, which were mixed in the UK, (I guess they didn't get it, which is not surprising cause it is a 'lover letter to L.A') the album got basically no promotion at all, and in the US where Brian usually fares worse it's doing amazing in the iTunes and amazon charts due to some heavy promotion, music fans are liking what they hear. In my view putting in down to Brian not being a musical draw is slightly ridiculous.

Seeing it's postion next week will be interesting.

And again sorry Brother John.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:52:16 PM by Wild_Honey-In_Stereo » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 05:46:30 PM »

Plus BWPS had almost 40 years of hype. But yeah, I dig what you're saying. Why in hell it took so long (relatively speaking of course!) in the UK is beyond me. Also too, he performed it many more times in the UK than in the US, so maybe it'll do better here due to less saturation...?

I dunno. Feel like I'm grasping at straws or something.

I could be wrong but being a commissioned work, it was not Brians to on-sell without further negotiation.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 06:16:06 PM »

Not good. Not good at all.  Sad

...The bit I'm not getting out of all this is why -- aside from AGD's general cheery positivity about Brian's recent efforts -- this counts in any way as a bad result.

Unless both the surfermoon site and I have missed something...  aside from the highly exceptional perfect storm that was "Smile", this is the first regular album Brian's done in more than thirty years to make the UK top 40.

Woohoo!

Yes, Brian's been more acclaimed in the UK than the US in that time, but this hasn't translated into impressive chart performance there either.  And for a 66-year-old man to score that high is pretty damn impressive.  Sure, we would have liked a bigger post-Smile bounce -- but for an album without decades of mythmaking behind it, it's still a substantial step up!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx