gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:37:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate and Review Brian's latest
5 - 55 (43%)
4 - 56 (43.8%)
3 - 12 (9.4%)
2 - 3 (2.3%)
1 - 2 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 117

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Lucky Old Sun  (Read 65111 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2022, 04:26:41 AM »

Whole thing -  tracks, lead vocals, mastering all sound awful. I have even tried to remix/smooth it out myself to make it playable/listenable 'in company'.
Sounds like most of it was recorded in someone's bedroom........ er ehm...
I feel the signwriting was less a collaboration than on the Paley sessions.
I agree with the last part.
It's one of the better SOUNDING Brian albums, though.
As far as the material, my opinion of it has gone a bit lately. I probably overreacted to it at the time because I was so excited to get new music - ANY music - from Brian. I'd say half of the songs are pretty good. Others haven't aged well. Oxygen to the Brain is weak, especially compared to Can't Wait Too Long. Goin' Home just tries too hard. I'd probably rate the album a 3 now.

I get this sense of tryig too hard from a couple of songs, especially "Midnight's Another Day". It seems like everyone wanted this to be another "'Til I Die" but I don't think it is. The more light-hearted material here is what I think has stood the test of time, like "Good Kind of Love" or even "Mexican Girl".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2022, 02:28:20 PM »

I thought maybe the lack of discussion about this album was because of the Scott Bennet stuff.

Southern California breaking into the "mama yama glory hallelujah" always gives me the goosebumps whenever I listen to this album.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx