gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:06:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate and Review Brian's latest
5 - 55 (43%)
4 - 56 (43.8%)
3 - 12 (9.4%)
2 - 3 (2.3%)
1 - 2 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 117

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Lucky Old Sun  (Read 65083 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »

I was listening to this in the car with my pops, and when "California Role" came on, specifically the line "every girl's the next Marilyn", he took it to mean Marilyn Wilson/Rovell instead of Monroe. Surely, that wasn't Scott Bennett's intention, but it puts a whole 'nother spin on that line. Melinda would be pissssed Smiley

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »

Surprised more people don't go nuts for this album... I think it's some of his very best solo work and a consistently good album.
One of his 2 best solo albums...between this and BW88.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2014, 05:26:43 PM »

Hi all,

That Lucky Old Sun is amazing!!! 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »

I give this album a 3 out of 5. It's quite a good album, and if it was a Beach Boys album it'd be great.

But I can't seem to get into this as much as other people here. I dunno, I only recently got this album, perhaps I should let it grow on me.
KDS
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2015, 12:48:21 PM »

I rated this a five as I think it's Brian Wilson's best, and most consistent, solo album.  The only thing I'd change are the spoken word interludes.  It helps the concept, but doesn't add much to the listening experience IMO. 

This album is very autobiographical, and it's refreshing to hear Brian and Scott Bennett tackle some of these old issues in such songs as Going Home. 

Brian sings very well on this album as well.

Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl is a bona fide classic. 

Southern California might be the most beautiful song of Brian's solo career.  It's hard not to get emotional while listening to Brian's dream about singing with his brothers.  This is the first of a trio of BW heart wrenching album closers (Summer's Gone and The Last Song would follow). 

Truly a great album.  Sadly, as unfair as it may be, if this album were recorded with The Beach Boys banner, it would be regarded as a classic. 
Peter Pumpkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2015, 06:30:42 AM »

I gave it a four. Easily my favourite Solo record by Brian Wilson and in frequent rotation
since the day it was released. Even the recitals fit in rather well and add imho to both, pacing
and atmosphere. "Good Kind of Love",  "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl", "Midnight’s Another Day" and
"Going Home" were instant classics, and remain essential BW listening.
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2015, 05:13:13 PM »

This and BW 88 are the two best solo albums. I like the production on this a lot more, but I like the songwriting and melodies on 88 more than TLOS.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »

It's quite a good album, and if it was a Beach Boys album it'd be great.

Yes.  Hopefully in parallel universe, the Love You-era Beach Boys get to perform this gem.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »

I still get chills at the final "Om papa-yama Glory Haleluja!"
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »

Yeah!  There's stuff like that on there that is like sunshine!! 

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2015, 03:17:28 AM »

Southern California gives me chills too. I've really come to love this album.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2015, 10:45:11 PM »

It's quite a good album, and if it was a Beach Boys album it'd be great.

Yes.  Hopefully in parallel universe, the Love You-era Beach Boys get to perform this gem.
No! No! I don't want to hear a raspy-voiced Brian and Dennis, and a stoned Carl singing this material. Sounds won-won-wonderful the way it is.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2016, 10:17:23 AM »

I keep forgetting this album exists, which is weird because it isn't a forgettable album in the slightest.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2016, 06:11:25 AM »

I, too, find it weird how people don't seem to make too much of a fuss over it. It always seemed to me that, maybe 1 or 2 tracks aside, this is a masterpiece. It's all done in very good taste, in such a melodic and sweet way. I enjoy the lyrics a great deal, as they successfully avoid any cheesiness whilst touching on very deep stuff.

TLOS is the album I use to introduce Brian's solo career to anyone. It's pure quality.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2016, 07:32:11 AM »

This album has grown on me in the time since it's been out. I originally gave it a 3 on here, now I'd give it a 3.75 rounded to 4.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2016, 07:57:11 AM »

This album has grown on me in the time since it's been out. I originally gave it a 3 on here, now I'd give it a 3.75 rounded to 4.

Personally, I think this is the only Brian solo album that I would use the word "great" to describe. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2016, 08:00:04 AM »

I'd say it's very good to nearly great; the self-titled and the Gershwin record are where the real greatness is from where I sit.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2016, 08:11:46 AM »

I'd say it's very good to nearly great; the self-titled and the Gershwin record are where the real greatness is from where I sit.

To each their own. 

I think half to 2/3 of BW88 is great.  I think Gershwin might be Brian's best sounding solo album. 
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2016, 08:58:35 AM »

I concur with the opinion of greatness. I didn't take to it on the first couple of listens but it's seriously become one of my favs. I also love all the spoken words stuff as well which sometimes gets a slating...

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
KDS
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2016, 10:15:41 AM »

I concur with the opinion of greatness. I didn't take to it on the first couple of listens but it's seriously become one of my favs. I also love all the spoken words stuff as well which sometimes gets a slating...

I didn't like the spoken word stuff at first, but in the context of the album, it works. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2016, 09:49:38 PM »

I keep forgetting this album exists, which is weird because it isn't a forgettable album in the slightest.
That's what I find sad about these latter day Brian albums. They come out with some fanfare, and are quickly forgotten. TLOS deserved to be heard by a lot more people. IMHO, this was the strongest album he'd put out since OCA with Van Dyke. Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl, Mexican Girl, Midnight's Another Day, Southern California, those are all great songs. I hope people don't start dissing this album because of Brian's main collaborator (not referring to VD), glad I put it on tonight.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2018, 09:58:01 AM »

Released 10 years ago today!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2021, 09:51:10 AM »

Whole thing -  tracks, lead vocals, mastering all sound awful. I have even tried to remix/smooth it out myself to make it playable/listenable 'in company'.
Sounds like most of it was recorded in someone's bedroom........ er ehm...
I feel the signwriting was less a collaboration than on the Paley sessions.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2021, 11:05:10 PM »

Whole thing -  tracks, lead vocals, mastering all sound awful. I have even tried to remix/smooth it out myself to make it playable/listenable 'in company'.
Sounds like most of it was recorded in someone's bedroom........ er ehm...
I feel the signwriting was less a collaboration than on the Paley sessions.
I agree with the last part.
It's one of the better SOUNDING Brian albums, though.
As far as the material, my opinion of it has gone a bit lately. I probably overreacted to it at the time because I was so excited to get new music - ANY music - from Brian. I'd say half of the songs are pretty good. Others haven't aged well. Oxygen to the Brain is weak, especially compared to Can't Wait Too Long. Goin' Home just tries too hard. I'd probably rate the album a 3 now.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:09:34 PM by Lonely Summer » Logged
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2021, 08:24:26 AM »

I still love TLOS. 5 out of 5.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx