gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:32:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate and Review Brian's latest
5 - 55 (43%)
4 - 56 (43.8%)
3 - 12 (9.4%)
2 - 3 (2.3%)
1 - 2 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 117

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Lucky Old Sun  (Read 65098 times)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 04:34:13 PM »

Obviously Dom aint no fan of TLOS. On his FB page he has made a few statements about Brians solo career.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »

Also, Going Home is essentially a re-record of the song of the same name recorded during the mid-90s Wilson Paley sessions.

Love TLOS tho.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »

Upon hearing it for the 1st time That Lucky Old Sun was an instant BW solo classic to me, and it has easily become my most played BW solo LP.

In a general context I'd award it 4 points, but in the context of a 60-something-years-old rock&roll survivor still releasing new material (and in the context of Brian's solo career) I award it 5 points.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »

Also, Going Home is essentially a re-record of the song of the same name recorded during the mid-90s Wilson Paley sessions.

It's not. The two songs are vastly different in melody, lyrics, style and structure.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »

Love this album but the narratives kill the vibe for me.
By chance to the backing tracks exist somewhere sans narrative?
I'm trying to make my own version, without the narratives, (and including "What Love Can Do"), but it's difficult to cut out parts from a flowing suite.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »

Love this album but the narratives kill the vibe for me.
It's the BW solo album I have listened to the most, by far, and to me the narratives are essential in creating a flow in the first place. But that's a question of taste and perception, of course.

By chance to the backing tracks exist somewhere sans narrative?
Somewhere, sure..  Wink But they haven't been bootlegged, as far as I know. At least I haven't heard of it.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »

Listened to the album straight through once and thought it was great. Love the concept of it and how it flows together. I don't mind the narratives at all but it does kind of feel like Brian Wilson The Musical, which I find kind of cute. Who could imagine Brian suddenly breaking out in song!  Serenade

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »

The closing sequence starting with "Oxygen To the Brain" is one of the best things Brian has ever done.  He and Scott Bennett hit a home run on that bit.  It's bittersweet, sad, hopeful...so many things.  It's fascinating to hear Brian ruminate on his troubled past.  I'll add that what really got be hooked on this closing suite was hearing Brian and the gang perform it live.  It sounded really good.  In general...Brian sounds good on this LP.  His singing is actually improving as time goes on.  The narratives are a little goofy...but Brian Wilson is more than just a little goofy...so they work in that context.  Some of the earlier songs aren't quite as sharp as the closing songs...but taken as a whole it's a good record...and isn't it just great that Brian Wilson is still composing music at all?  The fact that he's creating new, vital music that's actually good is somewhat of a miracle and we're blessed that he's still around to bless the world with those incredible sounds.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
HeroAndVillain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 12:34:48 PM »

I wish Brian and Scott Bennett would collaborate more. I'm not an expert, but enjoy TLOS much more than Brian's other solo albums. The whole thing just works.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »

I agree. Scott is amazing and he brings something to the table which few people can in collaborating with Brian.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2012, 01:05:37 PM »

I agree. Scott is amazing and he brings something to the table which few people can in collaborating with Brian.

Exactly!  There's a spark.  I'm honestly in awe of Brian Wilson...yes...for what he achieved during his glory years...but maybe more so for what he is still accomplishing.  Brian Wilson has outlived his life expectency...but not only that...he appears to be thriving.  If you would have asked yourself in 1975...what would the Wilson Brothers be doing in 2012...chances are you'd not have very high hopes for Brian at all.  The fact that he's the remaining Wilson is amazing and while people will pick apart his current work...I'm THANKFUL that in 2012 we still have new Brian Wilson material to listen to.  That is a blessing. 

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »

I wish Brian and Scott Bennett would collaborate more. I'm not an expert, but enjoy TLOS much more than Brian's other solo albums. The whole thing just works.

Totally agree.  I've been listening to it a lot lately and I consider it - along with BWPS, but that's a different animal - his best, most consistent album.  Even what I consider the weaker songs have grown very listenable to me.  I'm very happy to have TWGMTR, especially the closing suite and those magical harmonies, but going forward I would be more interested in another Brian Wilson-Bennett/Parks collaboration of TLOS quality than another TWGMTR with continued Mike Love nostalgia and Joe Thomas influence. 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »

It's totally his best solo album.... of original material.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »

Better than the already good BW 88, better than Imagination. Not better than BWPS, but that's like saying a scene-perfect remake of Close Encounters of the Third Kind would be better than, say, Saving Private Ryan.

That Lucky Old Sun consistently impresses me. Sure, 'Mexican Girl' ain't great, but it's not bad either, and what would a BW/BB album be without an odd tune or two (well, Pet Sounds, but that's beside the point)?

A solid, glorious, sun-drenched 5. Brian Wilson has come home.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:27:54 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »

Totally agree.  I've been listening to it a lot lately and I consider it - along with BWPS, but that's a different animal - his best, most consistent album.  Even what I consider the weaker songs have grown very listenable to me.  I'm very happy to have TWGMTR, especially the closing suite and those magical harmonies, but going forward I would be more interested in another Brian Wilson-Bennett/Parks collaboration of TLOS quality than another TWGMTR with continued Mike Love nostalgia and Joe Thomas influence. 

Honestly, I'd have rather had another Brian Wilson solo album than TWGMTR. I mean, I love most of the songs on TWGMTR (it's a solid album), but EVERY song on TLOS is a masterpiece. There are so many layers of brilliance on this album - I can't believe it's not more popular.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2013, 12:53:41 PM »

Really nice. Don't know if I'll say classic, but some of the material here is as good as anything Brian's done solo. The monologues are a little cheesy, but it's a goofy album anyway and Brian sounds like he's having a lot of fun, so I don't mind at all.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2013, 03:02:00 AM »

Goddammit, the more I listen to this album the more I like it. I still think it's a little over-sweet (and the whole Lucky Old Sun motif itself still doesn't really work to me), but it's hella decent. Really underrated stuff.

TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2013, 06:12:52 PM »

Finally forcing myself to get into this... it's clearly a very good album and MAD is excellent.... I'll rate it when I've been able to give it a few more listens...

It's hard for me to listen to Brian Wilson solo records.... I resent that they're not Beach Boys records.... just being honest....
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2013, 06:49:37 PM »

Finally forcing myself to get into this... it's clearly a very good album and MAD is excellent.... I'll rate it when I've been able to give it a few more listens...

It's hard for me to listen to Brian Wilson solo records.... I resent that they're not Beach Boys records.... just being honest....

None of Brian's solo albums would look recognizable if they were Beach Boy records...except for probably Imagination.

At this point The Beach Boys are just a name. They're no longer a group willing to fully follow Brian's creative vision. They've turned into a marketing gimmick to easily let people relive the days of 60s surf & sun. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But when Brian is attached to that name (when making records) there are strings attached that can alter and tarnish any creative vision he has for an album. Frankly, I'm friggin ecstatic that his new solo album isn't a Beach Boys album - and I'm glad that Mike Love was no where near TLOS when it was being conceived and recorded.

That being said, glad you're enjoying TLOS - it took a few listens for me to really appreciate it, and it's become my favorite BW solo record.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »

None of Brian's solo albums would look recognizable if they were Beach Boy records...except for probably Imagination.

At this point The Beach Boys are just a name. They're no longer a group willing to fully follow Brian's creative vision. They've turned into a marketing gimmick to easily let people relive the days of 60s surf & sun. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But when Brian is attached to that name (when making records) there are strings attached that can alter and tarnish any creative vision he has for an album. Frankly, I'm friggin ecstatic that his new solo album isn't a Beach Boys album - and I'm glad that Mike Love was no where near TLOS when it was being conceived and recorded.

That being said, glad you're enjoying TLOS - it took a few listens for me to really appreciate it, and it's become my favorite BW solo record.
While I agree in principle with all that you say, I still think it really could have used the Beach Boys vocal prowess to make it all that much better.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2013, 11:12:29 PM »

While I agree in principle with all that you say, I still think it really could have used the Beach Boys vocal prowess to make it all that much better.
I thought it was good enough to hear Brian in such great shape vocally.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2013, 04:10:58 AM »

I thought it was good enough to hear Brian in such great shape vocally.
I rarely listen to it. Up until the Gershwin album, a whole album of Brian is a bit too much. Also, as much as I enjoy the band, they are not The Beach Boys. So, with some shared leads and background vocals, it would have made a great Beach Boys album. JMHO, of course.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2013, 03:24:06 AM »

This one went straight over the top of my head. I rarely play it.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2013, 09:23:17 AM »

I'm on a generous mood today. 5/5. This is the first BW solo album I ever listened to. I fell in love with it immediately. I like almost everything in it. The narratives are awesome but the cover art isn't that great though.

That Lucky Old Sun
Morning Beat - 4.5/5 - I consider these two as one part.

Good Kind of Love - 5/5 - Amazing song, one of the best songs Brian has ever written all by himself.
Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl - 4/5
Live Let Live / That Lucky Old Sun (reprise) - 3.5/5
Mexican Girl - 3/5 - Weakest track.
California Role / That Lucky Old Sun (reprise) - 3.5/5
Oxygen to the Brain - 4/5 - Funny lyrics! How can you not like this.
-
Can't Wait Too Long
Midnight’s Another Day
That Lucky Old Sun (Reprise)
Going Home
- 5/5
Just amazing suite-style thing going on in here! Wouldn't change a thing in this. Midninght's Another Day is just so sad and really emotional song for me, and then Going Home reminds me of Love You-album. Brian sings it with that great rough voice. Perfect.

Southern California - 5/5
This song is like end credits to a fantastic movie.

Very underrated album. I think it's a masterpiece.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2014, 02:17:29 PM »

Surprised more people don't go nuts for this album... I think it's some of his very best solo work and a consistently good album.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx