gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:47:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate and Review Brian's latest
5 - 55 (43%)
4 - 56 (43.8%)
3 - 12 (9.4%)
2 - 3 (2.3%)
1 - 2 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 117

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Lucky Old Sun  (Read 65112 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 01:14:51 PM »

They wrote it together. I think Carole King sounds ridiculously young on that track.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »

I don't think that's true. Brian wrote it himself, with Carole's songs in mind. That's why he then got her to sing on the record. From Carole's site:

AUGUST 22, 2008, Hollywood, CA - In 2006, Carole King was invited by legendary songwriter and producer Brian Wilson to his recording studio. These sessions turned out to be the early days of recording his new album, "That Old Lucky Sun," which eventually took him back into the Capitol Recording studios.

One of the songs they recorded that day is "I'm Into Something Good," the Goffin/King song originally made famous in 1965 by Herman's Hermits. "I make no bones about it, that song was influenced by Brian's music," Carole told the Weekend Australian Magazine in 2006. She described their updated version of the song as "Brianized."

The other song is a new Brian Wilson composition called "Good Kind of Love."

Although these songs do not appear on the final version of the album, they are being made available to the public for a limited time only via a CD exclusively available at Best Buy stores and at BestBuy.com. For more information or to pre-order the album, please click here.

"That Old Lucky Sun" arrived stores on September 2
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 06:22:52 PM »

Wow. TLOS has been officially released for exactly a year.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 08:48:17 PM »

The world lets out a collective yawn. Smiley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 04:00:46 AM »

Still a record I find myself listening to quite often. I tend to skip both "Forever..." and "California Role" (the lyrics of which seem particularly trite to me) from time to time, yet overall it holds up as one of my very favourite records of recent years.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2009, 10:04:38 AM »

The trite lyrics strike me as better than most of the purported weighty ones. Southern California in particular makes me ill. Too much sugar.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2009, 11:04:29 AM »

"Southern California" is kind of schmaltzy, yes. I do, however, have pretty much of a soft spot for that particular song as I just LOVE the bridge.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:08:47 AM by phirnis » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 12:18:33 PM »

Love that bridge. Love it love it love it.

Have been listening to it again recently myself -- Brian sounds great, band turns on a dime. This is arguably the best that solo BW gets.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 02:08:06 AM »

I tend to agree, but for some reason, I'm really expecting great things from Brian's next release(s), and TLOS may be a stepping stone rather than the pinnacle.

Who'd have ever thought we'd be talking like this 5 years ago? Yes, it has been that long since BWPS.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »

You would--if the next one doesn't top it--call TLOS the pinnacle? Do you prefer it to BWPS, or not count BWPS because it's old material?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:27 AM »

The latter...just the fact that he came up with something that ranks up there Smile at his age is unbelievable. 

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »

Smile was not where Brian was in 2004, for the most part. It's where Brian was in the 60s and where Darian was in 2004.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »

...which makes TLOS that much more impressive.

MBE
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2009, 01:16:20 AM »

Even if Brian is more often a figurehead rather then a catalyst, that he can take part in making such solid new(ish) music is something I never would have thought possible until this came out. Sure the 1988 album had moments as did some of the nineties Paley stuff but I never would have thought he could do a new album in its entirety and have it be the highlight of a show. Some of Brian's solo stuff doesn't have much to it beyond curiocity value, this is one that rises above that. It's a solid 4 out of 5 stars for me.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »

5/5

'That Lucky Old Sun' is such a wonderful way to start an album....Even on the cloudiest, rainiest day you can close you eyes and imagine the sun rolling around above you while listening to it. 'Morning Beat' reminds me of the album 'Love You' - which is why I love the song - it is cheesy but one can totally relate to it...

'Good Kind of Love' is an upbeat love song - Cheesy? Yes. Vibrant and energizing? Yes. I love blasting this song through my headphones (or stereo - depending on how bad I want to upset the neighbors  Grin ).

'Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl' is a wonderful song full of nostalgia. It is not a favorite from the album, but I never skip it. 'Live Let Live' - brilliant song on so many elements....the lyrics are wonderful, and the instrumentals are fantastic (listen to that outro! Fantastic!). 'Mexican Girl' is one of my favorites from the album....it is not the most original song, but it is catchy as hell....and the song's outro is one of the best I've ever heard.

'California Role' is one of two on the album I rate below 5 stars. Nothing really stands out on the track to me, lyrically or instrumentally. 'Oxygen to the Brain' had to grow on me for a while....It is one I absolutely love to listen to now. 'Can't Wait Too Long' is fantastic....speechless when listening to it. 'MAD' is one of my absolute favorites by Brian - I think it is unanimously loved by everyone who hears it.

'Going Home' - Eh, nothing special about it. It seems as if Brian takes the "yell into the mic" approach on this one - it just doesn't appeal to me. 'Southern California' is a splendid way to finish an album. I read a post on this site that this song was a perfect close to Brian's songwriting career - If it were his last original, It is a grand way to go out, but I really hope it isn't his last!

The narratives placed throughout the album are fantastic - listen to the imagery in 'Between Pictures' or in 'Venice Beach' - these narratives really set the California scene - a wonderful add to the album....thank you VDPs!

In all, I find TLOS to be very underrated and under-exposed. There are some great tracks on here. Sure, many don't appeal to mainstream, but this is an album that I think most people would enjoy if they took an honest listen to it. Each of these songs are full of life. It is aggravating that TLOS isn't more popular, but then again, neither was Pet Sounds when it was released........

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »

I think TLOS is a game of two halves. First half until the end of 'Live Let Live' is a vibrant jaunty kind of album.  Something like 'Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl' has taken ages to grow, but I like it now. The second part of TLOS is much more patchy and loses the flow from Mexican Girl onwards, in my opinion. Of the rest, I'd pick Oxygen, Can't Wait Too Long and MAD, but even then I'd still prefer the first part of the record. Still good though
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 11:48:56 PM »

So my tracklisting would be :

1. TLOS
2. Morning Beat
3. Room With a View (Narrative)
4. Good Kind of Love
5. Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl
6. Venice Beach (one of the links that really works IMO)
7. Live Let Live
8. Between Pictures
9. Oxygen To The Brain
10. Can't Wait Too Long
11. Midnight's Another Day
12. Message Man
13. Southern California (instrumental version)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2010, 09:34:57 AM »

So my tracklisting would be :

1. TLOS
2. Morning Beat
3. Room With a View (Narrative)
4. Good Kind of Love
5. Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl
6. Venice Beach (one of the links that really works IMO)
7. Live Let Live
8. Between Pictures
9. Oxygen To The Brain
10. Can't Wait Too Long
11. Midnight's Another Day
12. Message Man
13. Southern California (instrumental version)

has this been made available to the public (via bonus track on released CD or bootleg)?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:40:12 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 08:16:21 AM »

I picked this up on vinyl, and the more sympathetic mastering (i'm never really that sensitive to overcompression, which means the CD must be effed up majorly) has really opened up my eyes to how.... nice this album is. I know nice isn't exactly lauding it with praise, but it sounds really like a summer spent writing songs in a relaxed, open and easy manner. The segues, Lucky Old Sun motif and blockbuster production on some numbers dispel this a little, but it's a subtle and easy going album at heart. And Brian busts into a decent falsetto at points, too!

Despite this, I still hate Mexican Girl.  LOL
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:19:36 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »

I picked this up on vinyl, and the more sympathetic mastering (i'm never really that sensitive to overcompression, which means the CD must be effed up majorly) has really opened up my eyes to how.... nice this album is. I know nice isn't exactly lauding it with praise, but it sounds really like a summer spent writing songs in a relaxed, open and easy manner. The segues, Lucky Old Sun motif and blockbuster production on some numbers dispel this a little, but it's a subtle and easy going album at heart. And Brian busts into a decent falsetto at points, too!

Despite this, I still hate Mexican Girl.  LOL
The song is OK to me,  but I love the Pet Sounds (track) type ending to it, though.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »

I still think the bonus tracks are better than most of this album proper. "Message Man" and "Oh Mi Amour" are killer!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »

I still think the bonus tracks are better than most of this album proper. "Message Man" and "Oh Mi Amour" are killer!
Message Man is pure Brian... so cool. Understandable though how it didn't 'fit' on TLOS.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »

Okay, one thing I do want to say is that I absolutely LOVE TLOS. Admittedly, I skip a track or two usually, but I love it. I've been saying for a while now that Brian should be doing one of two kinds of music: 1) suite-style stuff, and 2) croony type stuff...and with TLOS, you have both.

But of course, I gotta wonder how much of the material is actually NEW. Dig...

"That Lucky Old Sun" -- a cover

"Morning Beat" -- at the very least, the pseudo-Hawaiian-type lyrics date back to "Clang" from the '70s, and of course there's the "Shortnin' Bread" groove and the structure of the song sounds a lot like "Walkin'."

"Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl" -- I'm one of many who immediately thought "Don't Stop Believing."

The Venice Beach narrative -- a few folks have pointed out how the instrumental backing sounds a LOT like the middle 8 from Wondermints' "Another Way." (It does.)

"Live Let Live" -- of course, a different version of the song had already been released...even then, the song has kind of a "Sail On, Sailor" vibe to it. (Given who the songwriters are, that shouldn't be a surprise.)

"California Role" -- it's been posted on this board, I believe, that this song started out as another song in the '80s.

"Oxygen To The Brain" -- I dunno, this song sounds VERY '80s Brian...like something that would have been recorded during the Usher sessions....know what I mean? Especially given the lyrics and the seemingly odd changes.

"Can't Wait Too Long" -- of course we all know the deal there.

"Midnight's Another Day" -- I know this song started out as a more up-tempo tune, but when??

"Southern California" -- some have pointed out the similarities between this song's melody and that of "Christmassy," and I think "Save The Day" as well...and of course the "Whoa whoa whoa it's magical" just screams of the song by Pilot.

To be clear, these are just observations...I'm not meaning to rip on the album, as I absolutely love it, but....ya just gotta wonder!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:27:27 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »

Most of them are new songs. A few are clearly takeoffs of older songs or styles -- but that's not unusual for any veteran artist. Especially one doing a nostalgia-tinged album glancing back to past glories.

The only clear, 100 percent reuse of an earlier BW tune (aside from the chant and CWTL quote) is California Role, which has been confirmed as coming from an unbooted '80s song called "Wondering What You're Up To Now." Some cite "Walkin'" as a "Morning Beat" predecessor, and the songs share a generic blues progression and riff style, but they're otherwise reasonably different. No need to imagine that Brian even had the earlier one in mind.

I' m pretty familiar with BW's unreleased work, and I don't hear anything else that's re-used. The bonus tracks, incidentally, are all original as well. At a certain point, if Brian likes certain progressions and ways of writing songs, that's just what he likes. It's not that every song is an overt raid on the vaults.

Incidentally, the song that's probably the starting point for FSBMSG is a Four Seasons tune called Who Loves You Pretty Baby, not DSB. But that just goes to prove a point -- if you listen hard enough, a lot of pop music reflects back on itself.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:40:08 AM by Wirestone » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »

There's also Morning Beat (around 1:36) using something very similar to Rio Grande (around 2:00).

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx