gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:11:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Brian Wilson Presents Pet Sounds Live (BW solo)
5 - 7 (15.6%)
4 - 16 (35.6%)
3 - 11 (24.4%)
2 - 6 (13.3%)
1 - 4 (8.9%)
0 - 1 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Presents Pet Sounds Live  (Read 20649 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 01:46:24 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Brian Wilson Presents Pet Sounds Live, released June 2002.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 06:54:55 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:47:58 PM »

Nothing wrong with it, exactly. I just don't know why it was necessary in the first place. The DVD is great, and the original album is, of course, perfection. This one is just sort of...there.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:48:12 PM »

The worst Brian Wilson solo product ever released. Absolute sh*t. My bootlegs walk all over this dreck.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 12:00:51 PM »

I got this for "free" through a BMG music deal. Glad I didn't spend any money on it. Nothing special here, I enjoyed The Beach Boys' (Mike and Bruce) renditions of these songs when I saw them live over Thanksgiving last month (especially their "Sloop John B") more than this cd/dvd.

The Pet Sounds interviews on the dvd was awesome though.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 12:40:06 PM »

The DVD is so much better than the CD.  This has been sucked dry of all atmosphere.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 03:07:49 PM »

Good performance, mixed in a bizarre way. The least essential BW solo release, although I don't know if I'd say it sucks utterly. The DVD is the definitive document, though.
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 06:09:06 PM »

Good performance, mixed in a bizarre way. The least essential BW solo release, although I don't know if I'd say it sucks utterly. The DVD is the definitive document, though.

I agree, the DVD is far superior. I never really got into Pet Sounds before I heard it done live by BW and the band, and the DVD reminds me of that whenever I watch it. Plus the audio on the DVD is much better.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 06:11:24 PM »

I LOVE the DVD. It's so much fun to watch Brian smile from time to time. The moment in Sloop John B when Jeff comes in singing harmonies early on (Hoist up the John B sail, I think it is), and he seems like, "yeah, this is how it goes..." I'm a corny bastard, I admit, but it's great. The CD takes a lot of out of the experience...not so good.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 07:00:05 AM »

The DVD is good, the live shows were almost impossibly moving and tear-jerking, the bootlegs are tremendous, this CD is AWFUL.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 07:46:18 PM »

I never bothered to pick this one up.
That bugs me because I spent a few hundred on
everything ELSE Brian-related.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 11:07:31 PM »

I was there for all the shows - trust me, there were more than twenty people in the place.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 05:33:04 PM »

I like the instrumentals.

The rest is lacking a bit.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 10:22:40 PM »

Not a bad performance at all but I just dont see where this album was really necessary.  Like most everyone else here, I prefer the great DVD to the album.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 03:56:33 AM »

I like it. I think it was necessary at the time because in 2002 lots of people didn't even have  a DVD player, and I am sure the Wilson camp wanted to get a CD of some sort out there to increase exposure.

Yes the mixing is strange, I've read somewhere that Mark did a rush job to get the CD out before the DVD...don't know if that is true.

But to suggest all atmosphere is gone is just plain wrong. Its a joy to listen to, and you do get the impression that Brian has lived every syllable of the lyrics. Sometimes I prefer this to the original Pet Sounds.
wolkensohn
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 07:03:09 AM »

Hmm... I donīt like it, I donīt know why! But Brians voice is not that good (like on Iīm waiting for the day) ... ok, seein it live must be a great moment, but only hearin it on CD is... you know...
SG7
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 04:49:32 PM »

Sorry even though it is BW and Darian and Scott are there it lacks something that only the BB posessed making the album.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 05:32:01 PM by SurferGirl7 » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 11:00:21 AM »

I was there for all the shows - trust me, there were more than twenty people in the place.

LOL wickedly funny. I was at one of the shows and I can affirm.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
HeroAndVillain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »

It's a good thing this poll is here because I haven't been around for a few weeks, and I can no longer remember where the button is to start a new thread.

I watched the Pet Sounds Live DVD today after renting it from LoveFilm. And greatly enjoyed it. Brian was quite Briany, but the whole concert was done very well I thought.

But, my question is: Is Pet Sounds LIve available on blu-ray? And if not are there any known plans for its release on blu-ray?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 09:32:45 AM »

What is wrong with this album?
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw everyone putting down this album.
Seriously, I used to rock out to this in my car.
What's wrong with the performance or mix?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
KDS
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »

This one kinda falls under "for completists only." 

Decent live rendition of a classic album.  But why would the label release only the Pet Sounds portion of the concert?  With this release, all you really have in a faithful, but still inferior, version of the classic Beach Boys album.  If this were a full concert (with tracks like The Night Was So Young, Busy Doin Nuthin, Melt Away, Good Timin, and Surfs Up among others), it would be well worth it. 

If you can find it, get the Japanese version with Meant for You and Friends as bonus tracks. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx