gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:48:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poor crowd at TLOS USA Premier  (Read 10069 times)
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 07:18:26 AM »

I'm sorry...as great of a vocalist as Jeff is, when I go to a Brian show, I want Brian to be singing lead.
Not me. I'd be pissed if Brian sat there using his voice as much as he uses his keyboard, of course. But spreading the wealth a little, especially for lines here and there, a song here or there, I think is no problem at all for the betterment of the overall show. But I know there are a lot of different opinions on that.

I agree with you Luther. There are some leads where Brian does fine. Even when he doesn't have the whole lead he can still be a contributor, like he was on WIBN taking the old Mike part. Sometimes a different lead is great - especially when it can mean the song is performed in the original key instead of transposed down to suit Brian's range.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 07:28:38 AM »

I'm sorry...as great of a vocalist as Jeff is, when I go to a Brian show, I want Brian to be singing lead.
Not me. I'd be pissed if Brian sat there using his voice as much as he uses his keyboard, of course. But spreading the wealth a little, especially for lines here and there, a song here or there, I think is no problem at all for the betterment of the overall show. But I know there are a lot of different opinions on that.

I agree with you Luther. There are some leads where Brian does fine. Even when he doesn't have the whole lead he can still be a contributor, like he was on WIBN taking the old Mike part. Sometimes a different lead is great - especially when it can mean the song is performed in the original key instead of transposed down to suit Brian's range.

Wasn't there a time when Brian indeed did let others sing his material? Can anyone fill me in on this?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 08:29:47 AM »

Wasn't there a time when Brian indeed did let others sing his material? Can anyone fill me in on this?

LOL
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 08:44:12 AM »

You're missing Billy's point. At that time, "The Beach Boys" was written on the album cover and on the concert posters... Not "Brian Wilson".  Roll Eyes

I guess sharing the leads would be okay if he was recording as nothing more than the member of a band ("The Lucky Suns", or whatever). But then he would sound and look odd compared to Scott, Darian or Taylor. I'd rather listen to a BW-composed album on which he doesn't sing at all than to an album on which he is "just another member".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:04:16 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 09:34:05 AM »

This is kind of a shame. But Brian Wilson has always been more about studio work than live shows anyway
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 11:50:27 AM »

You're missing Billy's point. At that time, "The Beach Boys" was written on the album cover and on the concert posters... Not "Brian Wilson".  I guess sharing the leads would be okay if he was recording as nothing more than the member of a band ("The Lucky Suns", or whatever). 
Ding! For better or worse, if I pay money to hear Brian sing lead, I...want to hear Brian sing lead. If it's a song that Brian can't or doesn't feel like singing, then...don't do the freaking song. Do something else.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 12:02:41 PM »

You're missing Billy's point. At that time, "The Beach Boys" was written on the album cover and on the concert posters... Not "Brian Wilson".  I guess sharing the leads would be okay if he was recording as nothing more than the member of a band ("The Lucky Suns", or whatever). 
Ding! For better or worse, if I pay money to hear Brian sing lead, I...want to hear Brian sing lead. If it's a song that Brian can't or doesn't feel like singing, then...don't do the freaking song. Do something else.

...which strikes me as irresistably funny. You pay money to hear Brian sing lead, and you... want to hear Brian sing lead. Makes eminent sense. S'pose Jeff Foskett would come on stage and announce: sorry folks, Brian is indisposed, we got Phil Collins tonite, enjoy!... what would you do, Billy The Kid C.?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:03:33 PM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »

Going by the youtube clip, the 500 at the show loved it!

It was the best lead sung at a Brian Wilson concert since Al Jardine I'm afraid.

SG7
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 04:40:09 PM »

Hey Heretical, they could also show some old Brian Landy era workout videos like it was in one of my nightmares before I saw Brian the first time  LOL LOL
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 04:52:54 PM »

...which strikes me as irresistably funny. You pay money to hear Brian sing lead, and you... want to hear Brian sing lead. Makes eminent sense. S'pose Jeff Foskett would come on stage and announce: sorry folks, Brian is indisposed, we got Phil Collins tonite, enjoy!... what would you do, Billy The Kid C.?

Demand a refund and use the money towards a hitman.  Unless Collins was drumming.

I kid, I kid.

Hey Heretical, they could also show some old Brian Landy era workout videos like it was in one of my nightmares before I saw Brian the first time

LOL
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:56:58 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 09:27:13 PM »

This statement on any publicity for a Brian Wilson concert from now on may make the group singing any lead a easier pill to swallow.

The Brian Wilson Band

"The best touring band, period.~~Sir Paul McCartney"

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 09:59:44 PM »

It isn't new.  Hasn't Jeff been doing some leads for almost the past year?  I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one clip of Jeff doing WIBN in Europe this summer.  He also does "And Then I Kissed Her."
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 10:28:44 PM »

Why wouldnt Paul McCartney say "full stop?"
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 08:49:29 AM »

It isn't new.  Hasn't Jeff been doing some leads for almost the past year?  I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one clip of Jeff doing WIBN in Europe this summer.  He also does "And Then I Kissed Her."

He also did "She Knows Me Too Well" during the TLOS show I attended last year.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Jim Marrs
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »

There are also some other reasons. For those that have the guts to speak up, I attended one of Brians Greatest Hits concerts, this past summer. The sound was like listening to a cassette tape from the 70's. Very muddy sound, Brian often looked confused, and looked like he did not want to be there.  After the group performed about 6 songs, I saw about 70+ people leave the show. I stayed for the 70 minute performance, but did not enjoy the show. I was seated with 6 die hard Beach Boys / Brian Wilson fans, and they mostly agreed with me. I also was one of the posters on the blueboard that got lambasted about comments on  the show. I even asked for a refund, but never recieved one. Spending $90.00 per ticket, and not enjoying the show at Hampton Beach NH, (first time in 37+ years) I made the decision that I will not attend another show by Brian. I also received hate e-mail by the goody two shoes on the blue board, for posting my comments. What happened to free speach, and speaking up to tell the truth.

ONE LAST THOUGHT: If anyone asked for a refund to any of Brians summer shows, and got one, please let me know, or post it here. I know of a couple of people that requested refunds, and didn't recieve one. So much for the refund offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
To those that attend the upcoming TLOS shows, hopefully you will get a better performance, than what I saw this past summer.

JIM MARRS

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 11:47:10 AM »

You asked for a refund just because you went to a show that did not meet your standards

IN MY OPINION that is quite simply greedy and cheap..

After all the the years of music Brian has given us, even his health.  Angry

Disgusting.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:48:27 AM by Wild_Honey-In_Stereo » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »

Jim Marrs? Not the guy who wrote CROSSFIRE, surely?
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »

We discussed the refund thing on this board a while ago, and it was interesting. My theory was that Melinda offered the refund but wasn't seriously thinking anyone would actually send in their ticket stub. She just wanted to make people realize that they were being petty. I don't even ask for a refund when I see a crappy movie. I'm sorry if the sound wasn't good or Brian wasn't having a good night, but when you see a live show (particularly a Brian Wilson live show), there are risks that it's not going to be great. But then, there's a chance that it will be superb. And it's Brian. So you go and take your chances. Maybe there should be a disclaimer:
The headliner is mentally ill and his ability to put on a show is highly unpredictable. Purchase a ticket at your own risk.

As for the sound, was it the venue? I find that every rock show I go to is too loud and muddy, so I'm no judge.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2008, 02:08:06 PM »

Covering a few topics mentioned in this thread:

THE REFUND SHOW:
I was at that same show, and I felt it was absolutely fantastic. The show itself wasn't short --- it was billed NOT as a Brian Wilson show, but "Brian Wilson and friends." The first act was about an hour of "friend," and I forgot who it was, someone I've never heard of, and judging by a little tiny standing ovation after one song, she brought six fans with her. The other fans were Joan Osborne and Al Kooper; Vince Gill was supposed to be there but couldn't make it for whatever reason; I think ditto Jimmy Webb (no big loss on that one, though). 70+ minutes was about what could be expected with the billing. The sound wasn't great, but it wasn't nearly as bad as at the Beacon. Oh...and Brian didn't use a prompter. At all. (Most bill-leaders DO, btw, including Paul McCartney.) He did need a brief reminder during one of the TLOS songs, though.

The band was in fantastic form, and I know I say this after every time I see Brian, but....Brian sounded better than ever. In that short 70 minutes he was on stage, btw, there were not only the "oldies" and "hits" but also a few album tracks and some stuff from the new album.

SELL-OUTS:
Someone mentioned that Brian never did sell out, "ever." Not true at all. Both of the Carnegie Hall shows in 2004 sold out, and the show in Chicago in 2005 sold out after being announced only a few days before the actual show. And I'm sure at least one of the concerts in '99 must have sold out.

OTHER SINGERS:
I find it refreshing to hear other singers from time to time. The fact is, Brian isn't primarily a singer; he's primary a composer/producer. He's there presenting his work. Besides, do you really need to hear Brian sing every single word of "Add Some Music"? I'd much rather have different band members take turns, like on the original version. And does Brian need to sing every verse of "Sloop John B" and "I Know There's An Answer"?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »

Oh, right. For some reason I forgot that the Hammerstein was the "refund show." I was there too and had a great time. Brian was in great spirits and you're right-- he didn't use a prompter. The venue was pretty well filled.

I think some were upset because it was billed "Brian Wilson and Friends," and there were hints that some big names would be there-- "A Beatle, but not Ringo," someone mentioned hearing. The tickets were high, and some people probably bought thinking they'd see McCartney or something. I myself could only afford the very worst seats almost in the lobby, but we were able to move up into the side aisle and no one bothered us. But it was a _charity_ show, so no one should gripe about the tickets. There were people of all ages dancing around and having a great time.

As for the sound, not great, I guess. But it was a lot of fun. It was great to see Brian looking so well.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2008, 03:38:04 PM »

And on top of that, my wife and I also had seats way in the back next to the souvenir stand, but we shortly were able to move up much closer...then an usher tapped me on the shoulder, and asked me to...*gulp*...move one more seat down so that another couple could sit together. *whew!* And I know my wife was getting friendly with a young couple who were there seeing Brian for the first time, and they were absolutely stoked. The guy said, "I'm going to try to get a good picture." He came back saying that the vibe was too strong for him to think coherently enough to even try. Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wilsonista
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2008, 03:41:31 PM »

Mr. Marrs,

with all due respect, you were asking to be refunded for a benefit concert. A show that was put on in aid of a charity.  By buying a ticket , you were essentially making a charitable donation. By complaining about the show and demanding a refund, you were asking to take your donation back.  

Sorry to be so blunt , but Melinda's right on this one - that was an extremely petty display on your part.

Two of the posters in this thread who saw the same show you did came away with vastly different opinoins than yours.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2008, 04:05:30 PM »

And still, you can write off the ticket on your taxes. Good point, Rob.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2008, 04:36:20 PM »

Next time I go to a Minnesota Timberwolves game and they lose, I'm going to ask for a refund.  Wink Alternatively, I may just grow up and accept that there are no guarantees in life, and that buying a ticket means being willing to pay the listed price to see the listed event: it doesn't guarantee the quality of the event, or your interpretation of the quality of the event. If someone wants to be magnanimous and give a refund, so be it. But nobody owes a ticket buyer anything past admission to (and occurrence of) the event that the ticket represents.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »

I couldn't care less what Mr Marr thinks, there are enough live reviews of Brian's shows on the 'net for him to get an idea of what he's going to get, not only that, if you can't read the ticket that says "Brian Wilson & Friends" and / or "Charity / Benefit" and not understand what it means then he has no-chance.

Anyway, if he's moaned on the Blueboard already - why the hell does he feel the need to do it again (no pun intended) here? How many other gigs in the past has he demanded a refund for?

My suggestion - don't got to gig in the future and just listen to studio album on CD. Pah!

I'm taking my lottery ticket I didn't win on and demanding a refund.....

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx