gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:08:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate 20/20
5 - 46 (30.7%)
4 - 67 (44.7%)
3 - 32 (21.3%)
2 - 5 (3.3%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 136

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 20/20  (Read 93086 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 08:53:27 AM »

Discuss, review and rate 20/20, released February 1969.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 02:13:23 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 10:31:11 AM »

About a third great, a third nice enough and a third absolutely awful. Nearest Fawaway Place...shudder.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 12:18:43 PM »

A THIRD absolutely awful? Dude, get a checkup.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 12:22:01 PM »

Are you saying that's high or low?

By the way, I went and grabbed the track listing. Four tracks I really dislike: Do It Again (which I think is a fine song, but I hate the recording here), Bluebirds..., Nearest... and All I Want To Do.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 12:25:59 PM »

DO IT AGAIN???!!!!

Well, if you like Never Learn Not To Love, I'll quit yelling at ya!  Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 12:30:23 PM »

Love it, actually. I just wish Breakaway and Celebrate the News and We're Together Again had been on the album. They're all better than the aforementioned.

Jason
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 01:18:46 PM »

Hodgepodge at its finest, but man, most bands wish they could hodgepodge with results like these. 4 from me.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 05:14:05 AM »

4, their best since Today!... certainly best production.

Dennys (and Charlies) songs are absolutely staggering... Emotionally mindfucking.  "Be With Me" the best Beach Boys song ever for my money.   Everything else here takes a backseat to Dennis, even the Smile songs (which I think fit perfectly here)... It's a dark album, with some beautiful rays of sunshine throughout.

Hodgepodge, but brilliantly so.  If y'er doubting this albums brilliance, I need only say: "DEEP AND WIDE".
SurferGirl7
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 11:58:54 AM »

I am so - so about this album. I like Do It Again, Be With Me, Never Learn Not To Love, and Break Away (I like the alt. version on Hawthorne better but that's another story). To me, it was like something put together just to make Capitol happy so they could leave. Even the versions of Cabinessence and Our Prayer don't make the mark for me. All I Wanna Do is to me very boring. Just my opinion folks.

2 1/2 - 3 stars at best.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 08:33:29 PM »

In my top 5 faves. I do agree if there were more room- toss on Celebrate The News & Breakaway.
Nearest far Away Place is beautiful... magic. I'm gonna put that on right now!  Tongue
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 08:36:03 PM »

In my top 5 faves. I do agree if there were more room- toss on Celebrate The News & Breakaway.
Nearest far Away Place is beautiful... magic. I'm gonna put that on right now!  Tongue

It's Kenny-fucking-G, man!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 08:37:42 PM »

It's a beautiful, beautiful tune. the keyboard sound is gorgeous, and I love the strings too.
You don't like the Webb and Boettcher-powered soft-pop movement do you Luther?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 08:40:01 PM »

I like some Boettcher (a Minnesotan, after all). And a little Webb. But the electric piano sounds...soft rock...adult contemporary...

WAIT A MINUTE. You're the man who praises Sister Ray?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 08:45:58 PM »

I love Sister Ray and The Carpenters. And I am not a member of Sonic Youth! I dig EXTREMITY, in my soft and my hard. if it's soft, make it REAL soft. If it's hard, make it damn near unlistenably intense.
I pledge allegiance to the flag of Neil Diamond and Iggy Pop. And to the rock empire for which they stand. One nation, under Captain Beefheart and Tenielle, indivisible, with Love and The Justice League for all.

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 08:51:44 PM »

It's Kenny-fucking-G, man!

That Kenny G sounds groovy! Maybe I should look into him... there's something I'm missing. Eh, maybe not. But there's something you're missing!  Cool
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 07:15:32 AM »

Many years ago this was my favorite BeachBoys album.  This was before I started noticing so much negative criticism of the album as a kitchen sink project.

I liked it simply because it had so many good songs on one album.  And thinking it a single studio album and not a collection, it was very impressive.

I was less impressed when I found out later that some was smile scraps, some from here, some from there, and so on.

But it remains a single disc of almost all good songs.

Hearing   I Can Hear Music   on the radio for the first time in the late 60's rekindled my interest in the BeachBoys after a long  limited diet of "hippie" music.

As a BeachBoy fan, I'll always have a special place in my musical heart for this album.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 07:49:41 AM »

Side 2 is amazing.

Watch out for snakes!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 04:12:56 PM »

I love the production on the record. There's a really great feel to it. I just hate Cottonfields and Bluebirds, and Nearest Faraway Place sounds like bad elevator music.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 04:16:08 PM by Mike Lovestein » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 04:18:25 PM »

I'm not sure if Brian was working on Old Man River during the 20/20 era, but it would have been awesome if he had finished it. Like Can't Wait Too Long, Old Man River is another lost masterpiece.  Cry

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 04:24:12 PM »

I really, really like Bluebirds.  I'm glad I don't care about lyrics, because yes, they aren't the best lyrics, but the next time you listen to the song, listen to the bass playing and the drums.  That Shyt is tighter than Bruce Johnston in Al Jardine's stage clothing.  Larry Knechtel and I believe Jim Gordon just lock in the fookin' groove.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 06:30:19 PM »

Who played drums on what tracks on 20/20?

Would that info be in the Badman book? Where can you find info of which session musicians played on every single Beach Boys track?

Jim Gordon is awesome by the way.  I don't have the Derek And The Dominos album though.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 11:36:31 PM »

I really, really like Bluebirds.  I'm glad I don't care about lyrics, because yes, they aren't the best lyrics, but the next time you listen to the song, listen to the bass playing and the drums.  That Shyt is tighter than Bruce Johnston in Al Jardine's stage clothing.  Larry Knechtel and I believe Jim Gordon just lock in the fookin' groove.

Oh my god, you just totally changed my outlook on the song. Thank you.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 07:34:14 AM »

I thought it was Bruce who put down the bass and drums.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 12:54:04 PM »

I thought it was Bruce who put down the bass and drums.

He did, in a sense.  He hired a couple of guys and directed the session.  Bruce doesn't play bass like that, and I believe there is an AFM sheet with the Knechtel and Gordon names on it.
Jason
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 01:25:49 PM »

He did, in a sense.  He hired a couple of guys and directed the session.  Bruce doesn't play bass like that, and I believe there is an AFM sheet with the Knechtel and Gordon names on it.

I musta misread Leaf's liners....when he said "...he had already put down bass and drums", I thought it was Bruce himself doing that. We all know Bruce's skill on the bass, and he used to drum back in the 50s.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx