gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:26:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate 20/20
5 - 46 (30.7%)
4 - 67 (44.7%)
3 - 32 (21.3%)
2 - 5 (3.3%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 136

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 20/20  (Read 93046 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2006, 08:53:45 PM »

I hear some talking in the beginning; I can't really tell what they're saying, though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2006, 10:34:03 PM »

I really love the Dennis songs minus AIWtD. I can't stand Al's CF. Also, too many cover songs on it. Although, I will forgive them for ICHM

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2007, 02:28:14 PM »

I've always absolutely loved 20/20...I can listen to it over and over again. Some of my favorite songs are on it. I've known so many fans that didn't like it...and I never could figure out why. Now...if Celebrate the News would have been included in it, it would have been perfect. But since not, I only gave it 4 stars.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2007, 03:41:54 AM »

I gave this a 5. With the exception of Bluebirds I really love all the songs on this album. I dont hate Bluebirds or anything but its just not my cup of tea, and I love tea. Do It Again is a great song. I was saying this to a fellow Beach Boys fan the other day about how the great thing about Beach Boys songs (a lot of them anyway) is that they have so many different little sections to the songs and each part (or atleast most of the time in most songs) is really great in itself and I used Do It Again (off the top of my head) as an example. Like I love the drum intro, I love the verse and lyrics (as in that they are catchy) and then of course there is the bit that goes something like dum-de-doo-dah and then of course there is the "with the girl the lonely sea looks good... etc". Its just amazing (in my opinion) how there is so many cool parts to so many of there songs. For example, compare that to another band where their best songs have REALLY catchy choruses but the rest of the song just complete sucks. Thats why I think I really like The Beach Boys songs, they might be short (most of them anyway) but they are jam-packed full of good stuff (usually anyway).

Anyway sorry to get off track a bit back to the album. I Can Hear Music is for me way better than the original. I just love it and it has always been a song that just immediately struck me. Bluebirds ive already mentioned. Be With Me (as ive mentioned on another post) is kinda creepy and I think someone said it best when they said it is "hauntingly beautiful" and amazing arrangement. Funny to think that Dennis was "just the drummer" in many people's eyes. Amazing song and arrangement if not a bit spooky. All I want To Do is nothing special to me but harmless nonetheless. The Nearest Faraway Place I really like. I know a lot of people hate it (like a lot of Bruce songs) but I quite like it. Cotton Fields is great too. I went to sleep is a really nice chill-out song and of course as some people have mentioned perhaps shouldve been on Friends. Time To Get Alone is one of the real gems on this album. A fantastic song with fantastic vocals. I love the "deep and wide" bit as a lot of people have already said and I love the strings on it. I barely noticed them from the first few listens (i dont know how) but it adds a lot to the song. Never Learn Not To Love is again the same as Be With Me, creepy. But the arrangement is pretty amazing once again. And the SMiLE tracks are amazing, just beautiful. I love the "grand coullee (sp?) dam" bit in Cabinessence, simply majestic (especially the music on that bit) and Our Prayer is breathtaking. Even though this album is all over the place I dont really mind because it is full of fantastic songs on the whole. I agree though that Break Away and Celebrate The News and perhaps even Were Together Again would've been welcome additions to the album (without taking anything off)
thomasogg
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »

This album always gets a hard time critically and yet it's one of their greatest, most interesting artistic achievments! Do It Again and I Can Hear Music are both BB classics. Went To Sleep and Time To Get Alone are both melodically gorgeous. Dennis' songs are fantastic, such an amazing leap forwards from his 'Friends' work (Never Learn.. in partciular is favourite - i don't care whether Manson wrote it or not, it's Dennis' tremendous production that makes the song!). The only low point is, as usual, Bruce's contributions. Replace either 'Bluebirds..' or 'Nearest Faraway..' with 'Mona Kanua' (which was inexplicably dropped from the final line-up) and you got one of the top 5 albums of their career!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2007, 10:34:51 AM »

I really like 20/20, and i hate to admit it but i love 'cotton fields' and 'all i want to do'...

Mikes voice really rocks

4 Stars

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2008, 10:43:38 PM »

There isn't a song on here that I don't like. Even Nearest Faraway Place is OK as an instrumental from one member of a band(though you'd have to pay me to listen to a whole album of that stuff.) AS one track in a career, it's interesting.
Do It Again, for some reason might be the only other track I feel so-so about, though I know I'm in a minority. Maybe it's because the Beach Boys became such a nostalgic band...if they had never done another nostalgic track I guess I'd like it a lot better-- a song hearkening back to their silly surf days with love. But since that's pretty much all they have done for the last twenty years it bothers me.
I think that Cabenessence and Our Prayer ARE out of place on the record, too, but they are such great songs and the album is so hodge-podge anyway that it doesn't bother me.
4/5
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2008, 11:11:48 PM »

I wish there was a barf smiley. Half the songs on this record are great, the other half are like clipping an electric current to my nads and recording the sound as they fry.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2008, 12:22:05 AM »

The first record to really show how lost the band was without Brian.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Ana-Lu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2008, 05:16:44 AM »

Most of Side 2 is really good.

Most of Side 1 isn't.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2008, 11:55:09 AM »

4 out of 5. This album has really grown on me. A few tracks short from being a five star album:

Favorite to least favorite:
Cabinessence (Maybe my favorite Beach Boy song ever)
Time to Get Alone (Criminally underrated)
Our Prayer
I Went to Sleep
Do it Again
I Can Hear Music
Bluebirds over the Mountain
The Nearest Faraway Place
Be With Me
Never Learn Not to Love
Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song) (Single version is much better. A rare time when Brian's production isn't the best.)
All I Want to Do
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2008, 11:18:47 PM »

I have a hard time not liking this record.... except for the covers.  3 stars.

Track picks:  Cabinessence (+++), Time To Get Alone (++), Our Prayer (++), Never Learn Not To Love (+)

CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2009, 05:59:01 PM »

5.  One of my favorite Beach Boys albums.  I can't stand Bluebirds Over The Mountain and All I Want To Do.  Everything else I love.
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

Boys And Girls.I give you Cumbernauld Town Centre!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2009, 05:20:40 AM »

Already posted same query on "what are you listening to " thread but covering all bases for a response.

Anyone heard The Mark Wirtx Orchestra and Chorus cover of "I Can Hear Music"?

I think it's great. You can find it on the free MOJO In MY Room CD of records influenced by the genius of Brian Wilson.

(yes I know Brian had hee-haw to do with ICHM)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PWH902/sr=1-1/qid=1235135980/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1235135980&sr=1-1&seller=

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
axl wills
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2009, 01:56:31 AM »

their best late sixties album.Much better produced than wild honey or friend.
Make me feel of a compil of sort,there's not a lot of unity there,but timeless tunes(time to get alone,i can hear music,I went to sleep...)I don't like "Cotton field"and that's the only one.(never heard the 45t version)Dennis is not at his peak but still  make good ones.
4,5/5
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2009, 02:13:39 AM »

their best late sixties album.Much better produced than wild honey or friend.
Make me feel of a compil of sort,there's not a lot of unity there,but timeless tunes(time to get alone,i can hear music,I went to sleep...)I don't like "Cotton field"and that's the only one.(never heard the 45t version)Dennis is not at his peak but still  make good ones.
4,5/5

Be sure to check out the 45 version of Cotton Fields as it differs heavily from the album version. While Al's take on the song might not be the most original, it certainly has that classic Beach Boys punch mostly absent from Brian's (charming albeit admittedly drowsy) version - and it sure is catchy as can be.
axl wills
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2009, 03:12:45 AM »

Cool,I'll check it out!

(hey phirnis,you got a "téléchat" avatar,that was a satirical and goofy tv series for kids,I doubt that it was translated in english,do you understand french?)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2009, 04:24:05 AM »

Téléchat used to be my favorite TV series when I was a kid. In the mid-eighties it aired in Germany (where I'm actually from) under the name of "Telekatz" and it has never escaped my mind ever since. Later on, as an adult, I realized that those responsible for the series' very creation had quite a bit to do with two of my now favorite movies, namely midnight cinema classic "Marquis" and Polanski's "Le Locataire". It was quite an amazing discovery that led to seeking out every bit I could find about Téléchat on the internet. Though my French is actually kind of feeble, I really enjoyed the clips I could find at youtube.

Talking about youtube and getting back on topic, here's the 45 version of Cotton Fields as released on the BB's Rarities comp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khlEy-iy5kk
axl wills
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2009, 05:22:14 AM »

Téléchat was one of my fav series as a kid too.Roland Topor was a great artist!That serie is not only for children,the adults can found a lot of impish humor on it,that's for both in fact.
Thank you for the link!This version is much better. Smiley
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2009, 05:13:33 PM »

The last of the middle period albums for me to hear and rate (though obviously I was familiar with a number of songs already).  Despite on paper it looking like the songs go all over the place, I think it flows very well.  Much better than L.A. (Light Album) does.  And, of course, a lot of these songs are classic level.  It's not perfect all around but a deserving entry in their catalogue for sure. Let's see how it works out...

Do It Again 4/5
I Can Hear Music 5/5
Bluebirds Over The Mountain 3.5/5
Be With Me 4.5/5
All I Want To Do 3/5
The Nearest Faraway Place 4/5
Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song) 4/5
I Went To Sleep 5/5
Time To Get Alone 5/5
Never Learn Not To Love 4.5/5
Our Prayer 4/5
Cabinessence 5/5

Overall, this rounds to a 4 which is fair I would say.
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2009, 06:30:58 PM »

Whenever I hear 'The Nearest Faraway Place' I always picture it being played in a shopping mall. I swear I must've heard it in a mall at some point.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2009, 10:45:52 AM »

Do It Again 4/5
Our Prayer 4/5
Cabinessence 5/5

Is this some kind of sick joke? Our Prayer is a 5/5 like Cabinessence. It's so lush and beautiful on this album. Totally undeserving of being in the same 4/5 category as Do It Again and, ugh, The Nearest Faraway Place.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2009, 01:54:48 PM »

Do It Again 4/5
Our Prayer 4/5
Cabinessence 5/5

Is this some kind of sick joke? Our Prayer is a 5/5 like Cabinessence. It's so lush and beautiful on this album. Totally undeserving of being in the same 4/5 category as Do It Again and, ugh, The Nearest Faraway Place.

Not a sick joke, just someone's preference.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »

Do It Again 4/5
Our Prayer 4/5
Cabinessence 5/5

No duh ...

Anyway, Andrew, while you're here - I have your book but it's in the attic - what prompted Carl and (?) to revisit those two tracks in particular? Were they working on others at the time (like their reworking of Surf's Up on the album of that name) or just those two? Has Brian ever commented on the way those tracks were released?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2009, 10:30:54 AM »

Do It Again 4/5
Our Prayer 4/5
Cabinessence 5/5

No duh ...

Anyway, Andrew, while you're here - I have your book but it's in the attic - what prompted Carl and (?) to revisit those two tracks in particular? Were they working on others at the time (like their reworking of Surf's Up on the album of that name) or just those two? Has Brian ever commented on the way those tracks were released?

Simple - they were Smile tracks. Factor in that they were hurting for new material (hence Bruce's donation of "Bluebirds", initially a solo project) and their inclusion isn't that surprising. To my best knowledge, Brian's never commented on it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx