gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:42:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate 20/20
5 - 46 (30.7%)
4 - 67 (44.7%)
3 - 32 (21.3%)
2 - 5 (3.3%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 136

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 20/20  (Read 93066 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2006, 12:37:14 PM »

I like 20/20 alot just for the fact that it does seem a bit jumpy.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2006, 08:07:37 AM »

I like the Bluebirds with the overdub track.

Watch out for snakes!
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 08:58:35 AM »

I love the melody of a lot of these tunes. "Bluebirds", "Cotton Fields", "All I Wanna Do", "Never Learn Not To Love". Love the backing vocals on "Never Learn Not To Love". "Do It Again" & "I Can Hear Music" are great as well, imo.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 01:18:35 PM »

Hodgepodge at its finest, but man, most bands wish they could hodgepodge with results like these. 4 from me.

There is absolutely nothing I could say about this album that could top this quote.  Amen!

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2006, 11:45:04 AM »

A pretty good hodge-podge.  'Bluebirds', 'All I Wanna Do', and 'Nearest...' signaled the beginning of some truly awful merda (see 70s album reviews).

NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2006, 01:26:56 PM »

A very solid 4 from me. I pretty much like every song on this album. It sounds like they were trying to make some commerical music again. "I Went To Sleep" is lovely.
koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2006, 08:55:09 AM »

other cotton fields and the ghastly nearest far away place, a top notch album.

4/5.

somehow seems to be the last young man / pop album, before the bacame grown up / mature rock.
if that makes sense.
cant really explain, but this seems to mark a turing point for the band. at least in my head.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2006, 11:18:23 AM »

Sunflower is far more childlike than 20/20.
Surf's Up is the grow-up album, with the ponderous and downbeat themes.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 01:30:33 AM »

hmm.....i suppose some of Sunflower is pretty childlike, when i think about it.

but then its not something i can explain.
songs like Got To Know The Woman, Slip On Through, Tears In The Morining, All I Wanna Do just sound like they were made by more mature people than those who recorded the 20/20 tracks.
not that thats a bad thing, or even important, but in my mind 20/20 marks the end of the beach boys and Sunflower is the beginning of the Beach Men.
oh Beach Men sounds terrible, but hopefully you'll know what i mean.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 03:45:39 PM »

songs like Got To Know The Woman, Slip On Through, Tears In The Morining, All I Wanna Do just sound like they were made by more mature people than those who recorded the 20/20 tracks.

To me, they sound like a band who just left their record label, and are revitalised about starting something new.

That said, I like 20/20 more.  Darker, Creepier vibe.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 03:56:57 PM »

other cotton fields and the ghastly nearest far away place, a top notch album.

"The Nearest Faraway Place" is one of those songs that:

a)  I like and can't figure out why nobody else does, and
b)  falls into that category of songs (for me anyway) where if Brian Wilson would've written it, would've been better liked and respected
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2006, 04:12:49 PM »

Exactly. Book 'em Sherriff.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2006, 04:14:07 PM »

a)  I like and can't figure out why nobody else does, and
b)  falls into that category of songs (for me anyway) where if Brian Wilson would've written it, would've been better liked and respected

God I hate category b)... Makes me hate some of the more stubborn Brian fans sometimes.

I don't mind the song, I think it's really great when it's the real piano at the beginning... but I don't like the electric keyboard sound Bruce uses for the rest of it.  Still, it's got a pretty melody.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2006, 07:06:18 AM »

Category B could be a thread unto itself...a message board unto itself. Sometimes I think it would be funny if the BBs had just stopped listing songwriting credits after, say, 1966. As soon as the others (aside from Mike, of course, whose lyrics were always important), right when the others began contributing songs, just say "written by the Beach Boys." The nerd in me, of course, loves to know who wrote what with whom, when, where ("Salt Lake City? Your mind is getting senile!"), etc.

But I wonder which Beach Boy would be assumed to have written "Little Bird," for example.

And I can think this way in all humility and understanding, by the way, as a former Category B case... It took me long enough to accept that Brian's music was cool, but much, much longer to accept that any of the others were worthwhile.

(I'm an idiot.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2006, 07:21:02 AM »

Category B could be a thread unto itself...a message board unto itself. Sometimes I think it would be funny if the BBs had just stopped listing songwriting credits after, say, 1966. As soon as the others (aside from Mike, of course, whose lyrics were always important), right when the others began contributing songs, just say "written by the Beach Boys." The nerd in me, of course, loves to know who wrote what with whom, when, where ("Salt Lake City? Your mind is getting senile!"), etc.

But I wonder which Beach Boy would be assumed to have written "Little Bird," for example.

And I can think this way in all humility and understanding, by the way, as a former Category B case... It took me long enough to accept that Brian's music was cool, but much, much longer to accept that any of the others were worthwhile.

(I'm an idiot.)

Great post, Luther!  And thanks for saying what more people than you think are saying...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2006, 07:26:54 AM »

Before I'm sainted, I still prefer Brian's songs about 85% of the time. And I won't go overboard the other way in praising, say, Dennis (who is often the beneficiary of Brian-backlash), just because he wrote good music. (In fact, as I've said many times, I only like about 3/4 of his songs, and think POB is a really good--not great--album).

I just have a better understanding of the big picture, and less infatuation in the romance of Brian mythology. Therefore I've just got more justification for choosing his music now. It isn't as much about the name of the composer, but the music he composed.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2006, 09:03:20 AM »

John Stone, you said it...nearest is grand...the last of instrumentals it seems...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2006, 05:56:23 PM »

as of now, I feel that if they would have switched Cottonfields with The nearest Faraway Place, the tracks from Nearest Faraway to Cabinessence would just be monsterous for an album sequence...amazing.

I love how I just fall in love with a new Beach Boys album every week! Smiley

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2006, 06:04:59 PM »

Makes me long for being 15 again too!

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2006, 10:50:24 AM »

good call amosario! I wanna start a thread just devoted to album/track sequencing

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2006, 09:28:19 PM »

I thoroughly enjoy this album, though I must say The Nearest Faraway Place is too short and doesn't "do" anything. It's an alright song, but it's nothing. I Can Hear Music is better than the original, as is Never Learn Not To Love (though admittedly it sounds nothing like Cease to Exist). Carter's guitar on Bluebirds was really annoying at first, but I can look past it now. I've never heard the original, but I like Ronnie Hawkins' version better. I love Time To Get Alone as much as the next person, though I don't see what the hype is about the "deep and wide" part. I Went To Sleep has those silly high-pitched harmonies I love from Friends, and the Smile songs are, of course, awesome.

4/5.. great, but too flawed to be perfect.

Also, everyone looks rather unattractive on the cover.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2006, 03:38:29 AM »

"Deep and Wide"  Shocked

It's the build up as much as the actual part... "Looking down through the valley sooooo..." Carl does a beautiful little trill with his voice on 'so'... and afterwards with the creepy "Be With Me" strings "aren't you glad we finally got away-hey-ay... * CUE CREEPY ASS STRINGS *

But that "DEEP AND WIDE", Woah, wish I was hearing that for the first time again... Blew me away, it just hits me right in my soul... infact, I think it's probably the best 20 odd seconds Brian ever wrote...
koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2006, 06:01:24 AM »

when i first got into the beach boys, and i didnt know who anyone was, i always assumed that Mike on the 20/20 cover was Brian.

anyways, i reminded myself of an old old post i posted way way back when smileshop used to be a bravenet forum.
this is the same forum yes? just a different host?
anyways, i'd love to know what the public reaction was to the release of cabinessence, especially in the UK.
remember that the beach boys were still big here - do it again got to number 1 - and the hype over smile was only 2-3 years ago, surely someone most have noticed cabinessence slipping out?
same for our prayer too. cant believe they got released without any comment.
Chris D.
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2006, 07:25:58 AM »

"Deep and Wide"  Shocked

It's the build up as much as the actual part... "Looking down through the valley sooooo..." Carl does a beautiful little trill with his voice on 'so'... and afterwards with the creepy "Be With Me" strings "aren't you glad we finally got away-hey-ay... * CUE CREEPY ASS STRINGS *

But that "DEEP AND WIDE", Woah, wish I was hearing that for the first time again... Blew me away, it just hits me right in my soul... infact, I think it's probably the best 20 odd seconds Brian ever wrote...

Thank you, duckling.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2006, 12:54:15 AM »

Meh, to each their own, I guess.

when i first got into the beach boys, and i didnt know who anyone was, i always assumed that Mike on the 20/20 cover was Brian.
That's nothing. I forgot that Bruce joined the band and Brian was no longer in pictures, so I thought Bruce was Mike (with really long bangs to hide his receding hairline), Carl was Brian, Dennis was Dennis.. and the only one left was a tall balding hippie with a beard which I figured had to be Carl by process of elimination! And compared to his picture on Little Deuce Coupe.. how he grew up!  Roll Eyes

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx