gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680786 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:32:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wilson/Asher in the late 1990's  (Read 1666 times)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:09:35 AM »

I listened to "The First Time" and "Everything I Need" recently. Both songs are excellent (although Joe Thomas' production of Everything I Need on the Wilsons album is just awful.) It's too bad that they haven't come out on studio Brian Wilson albums.

I have the live version of "The First Time" from BW at the Roxy, and the studio versions by Jeff Foskett and the Wilsons of "Everything I Need." Are there any other versions of these tracks floating around?

Does anyone have any info on these collaborations between Wilson and Asher? They yielded a couple of great songs. Did they write any others? Why did it peter out so quickly? It's too bad none of these songs were included on Imagination or GIOMH. Both albums could have used them...

boots

- B00ts
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 09:18:13 AM »

They wrote some half-dozen songs in the 96-97 period, I think. There was an article in the "Breakaway With Brian Wilson" fan newsletter at the time that mentioned several song titles -- including "The Rock and Roll Express."

I think Brian was considering writing an album for his daughters with Tony Asher. But they ended up moving in a different direction, and Brian started working with Joe Thomas. So things just moved along, and away from those songs.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 09:46:05 AM »

b00ts - I'm assuming you mean "This Isn't Love" and not "The First Time" when referring to the two released Wilson/Asher tracks ("The First Time" was written by Brian alone). As Clay mentioned, there were a handful of titles supposedly written by Wilson and Asher in the late 90s after they became reacquainted during preparation for the PET SOUNDS BOX SET release. All that I can add is that supposedly a version of "This Isn't Love" was cut for IMAGINATION that has not seen the light of day, officially or not.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 09:51:47 AM »

Yes, I mean "This Isn't Love." Thanks for the correction - I love that song, and I love the way it quotes "You're Still a Mystery" musically. It's odd that it would be an outtake from Imagination when he re-recorded two old Beach Boys songs for that record... but in the world of BW, who knows what's going to happen?

I would rather he re-record it with his current band... it's a shame that songs like "Gettin' In Over My Head" were ruined by Joe Thomas' production when they were re-used for later albums.

- B00ts
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 09:55:12 AM »

He also recorded a version of "Still A Mystery" for Imagination that was retitled "It's Happening Again." That hasn't been heard either, I believe.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 06:43:17 PM »

I always thought that the antipathy towards "Still a Mystery" within Brian's camp could possibly be due to the fact that it is seemingly about Melinda... does that make sense? Apparently Brian and Tony wrote almost an album's worth of music, and it's a shame that what did come out was overproduced by Thomas. Better than nothing and all that.. oh well..

- B00ts
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx