gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:52:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Won't You Tell Me  (Read 7233 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »

I've had this song for a while. Can someone, preferably AGD, give me the background behind it? Was it written by Murry? And when was it recorded? And despite what I have read, is it really Brian and Carl sharing the lead? Sounds like kinda, but no sure. Thanks in advance.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 06:35:57 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's both of them....I think it's from 68-69 era

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »

I first heard this song a couple of weeks ago. I really like that little vocal intro. I wonder if Murry wrote that alone or if he had help from Brian.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:14:36 AM »

written by Murry, demoed 8/24/71 for the Beach Boys at Sunset Sound Recorders Studio B by Rick Henn, Marty DiGiovanni, Don Ralke and Ray Pohlman. Dennis helped with the arrangement and provided backing vocals. No other Beach Boys participated.

Watson, did you hear this?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 12:24:38 AM »

It's a Sunrays song, or rather a post-Sunrays demo cut by Rick Henn (at Sunset 8/24/71) as a demo for the BB - according to the liners of the 3CD Vintage Rays set, Dennis is on backing vocals/assistant on arrangement.

The composer credit is just "Wilson" - I strongly suspect Murry. Exactly how Carl & Brian got on to the track that's been booted is a damn fine question.

[oh well, now you got it in stereo.  Grin  Interesting that Rick & Brian would very soon be working on the Spring album...]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:27:43 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 02:50:10 AM »

The date on the 2" master for "Won't You Tell Me" is 6/19/71.... and the mixdown tape (“Brian and Carl up, backgrounds down, mix 1”) is dated 8/24/71.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 05:02:07 AM »

Thanks for that - looks like the author of the liner notes was either misinformed or misread the documentation. Easily done.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 04:14:16 PM »

On the version I have, the engineer says "Brian and Carl up, take 1", and I can clearly hear both Brian and Carl singing.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »

I don't quite follow exactly who is singing this one. In the stereo version the lead is Rick Henn and I only really hear brian and carl at the end. But the acetate version seems to be Brian and maybe Carl. Can anyone clear this up?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 12:46:15 PM »

I was always under the assumption that after Rick Henn, Dennis & co recorded the demo for Murry, Carl & Brian then added their vocals at a later date to give it a 'Beach Boys' involvement ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »

I was always under the assumption that after Rick Henn, Dennis & co recorded the demo for Murry, Carl & Brian then added their vocals at a later date to give it a 'Beach Boys' involvement ...

But why?  Was it being considered for a Beach Boys album?  Or was it just to make Murry happy?
SG7
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 03:05:48 PM »

It was suppose to be for the Sunrays I think.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 03:46:40 PM »

which is why it doesnt make sense that brian and carl would be on it. there must have been some reason to record it, and i'm assuming not for the sunrays if brian and carl (and dennis supposedly) are on it.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 08:28:59 AM »

It was suppose to be for the Sunrays I think.

There were no Sunrays in 1971! As AGD wrote: "Won´t You Tell Me" is a post-Sunrays demo cut by Rick Henn as a demo for the Beach Boys.

To quote Rick Henn from the liners of the 3CD "Vintage Rays" set (the liners are credited to Stephen McParland btw):

Murry wrote "Won´t You Tell Me" for the Beach Boys a few years after the Sunrays broke up and asked me if I would arrange it for him and cut a demo. After I finished working out the band and vocal arrangement we booked a session for Sunset Sound in Hollywood. Just as we began cutting the tracks who showed up but his son, Dennis Wilson. My immediate thought was "Oh god, here we go; he´s going to move in and start changing charts and this and that and make my life miserable." Quite to my surprise and relief he was very gracious and simply said: "Gee Rick I love the chords, I like what you´re doing with the bass line, but I want to try something." Here´s what he did:
He had us record some guitars and piano rolling chords down one octave than usual with the tape machine at half speed and than when we played it back at normal speed, it shot everything back up an octave and gave it kind of a shimmering mandolin/string, bowed tremolo effect in the background. When Murry heard it, he went through the roof; he just loved it. He was proud of what his son had done for this song. Then Dennis, Marty DiGiovanni, Don Ralke and Ray Pohlman and myself went on to do the vocals. *) The whole thing was a real celebration of love and friendship. Murry poured his heart out writing that song because at the time he was worried for his sons because they were having trouble getting a chart record. I remember Carl listening to it a couple of days later when we were mixing it down in Studio A at Goldstar and he said: "Wow...you really got it for my dad...good going Rick." It may not have been a hit song but there was this real nice feeling surrounding that tune.

*) which of course is nonsense; "the vocals were done by Marty, Don & myself (Rick Henn)". Read the original interview in Stephen McParland´s magazine California Music (CM 74, 1988).

SG7
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 08:41:10 AM »

Ah thanks for clearing that up!!
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »

Which still doesn't explain why there's a version with (allegedly) Brian & Carl on vocals.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »

Where is this version?

Watson, did you hear this?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »

Where is this version?

It's on Get the Boot.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »

Okay, so let me see if I have this straight.  The acetate version on Get The Boot ("Brian and Carl up, take 1") is Brian and Carl (obviously). 

But there's another version, in stereo, that sounds like its sourced from tape.  Its on a boot called the Sea of Tunes "All This Is That".  It doesn't have the engineer announcement at the beginning... is that the version with Rick Henn and company singing?  I don't have the Vintage Rays set, so I've never heard that... is this the same recording as what's on the boxed set?  The vocals sound very similar on the two versions I've heard, but I don't think they're 100% the same.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 07:18:17 PM »

But there's another version, in stereo, that sounds like its sourced from tape.  Its on a boot called the Sea of Tunes "All This Is That".  It doesn't have the engineer announcement at the beginning... is that the version with Rick Henn and company singing?  I don't have the Vintage Rays set, so I've never heard that... is this the same recording as what's on the boxed set?  The vocals sound very similar on the two versions I've heard, but I don't think they're 100% the same.

I haven't listened to this song for a while, but if I recall correctly the version on the All This Is That boot is just a stereo mix of the 'Brian and Carl version' of the song.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 04:08:53 AM »

I haven't listened to this song for a while, but if I recall correctly the version on the All This Is That boot is just a stereo mix of the 'Brian and Carl version' of the song.

Mikey is right, those two are the same version
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx