gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:53:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stereolab  (Read 4747 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:10:11 AM »

Excuse me if this has already been brought up. But I like this band. Where the High Llamas sometimes are just a tad too sweet (although I enjoy them a lot too), Stereolab is more muscular. A unique combination between convoluted 'easy listening' stuff and Krautrock drones. Also, they are a collector's dream, I guess, although I don't need everything.

I have: Emperor Tomato Ketchup, Mars Audiac Quintet, and the box Oscillons From The Anti-Sun. Is there anything spectacular that I passed up?

Oh yes, I saw them one time in a small club. Really mesmerizing. And the great Mary Hansen, who died in a stupid bicycle accident in London, was still with them then.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »

One of the few bands Ive seen live(dont like big crowds or ears hurting.) Really great band.
SG7
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »

OMG I own like all their albums. I saw them live too back in 2006. Brillant band.

My favorite Stereolab albums: Aluminum Tunes, Chemical Chords (their new album), The Groop Did The Space Age Bachelor Pad, Peng, Switched On, Sound Dust, ABC Music, Cobra and Phases into the milky Night.... I just love all of them really!!

Don, I STRONGLY suggust you getting Switched On and Peng. That is their first two albums. Aluminum Tunes is fabulous as well. Lots of interesting songs on that one.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 02:38:44 AM »

OMG I own like all their albums. I saw them live too back in 2006. Brillant band.

My favorite Stereolab albums: Aluminum Tunes, Chemical Chords (their new album), The Groop Did The Space Age Bachelor Pad, Peng, Switched On, Sound Dust, ABC Music, Cobra and Phases into the milky Night.... I just love all of them really!!

Don, I STRONGLY suggust you getting Switched On and Peng. That is their first two albums. Aluminum Tunes is fabulous as well. Lots of interesting songs on that one.

Tks a lot! I heard praise already about Chemical Chords... prolly that's the first one I'll go check out this week then!

James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 06:00:17 AM »

Love Stereolab.  My favourite album of theirs is the wonderful 'Dots and Loops'; also other great 'mid-period' albums such as Mars Audiac Quintet and Emperor Tomato Ketchup.

Like the early stuff too but have to be more 'in the mood' for that.

Diminishing returns though over the last 2/3 albums.  I've been listening to their newie 'Chemical Chords'  this week, and it just sounds so....half-hearted.

So if you're looking to 'get into' Stereolab - I'd recommend don't start with the more recent stuff!

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 06:38:47 AM »

OK cheers for that. Then I'll follow Surfergirl's list of recommendations.

SG7
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 05:33:55 AM »

I think the new album is the best album they have done since before Mary died. Since she has died, they had issues finding a new sound. I believe that they finally did with Chemical Chords. The first two tracks "Neon Beanbag" and "Three Women" are really good. Very Phil Spector-ish knd of sound they are doing on that record.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 11:10:02 PM »

Dots and Loops is a good album. So is Sound-Dust. Aluminum Tunes is pretty awesome. Mars Audiac Quintet has some catchy songs, but I prefer the loungy-sounding vibes of the later albums to the organ drone of MAQ. I've been trying to get into Emperor Tomato Ketchup, but I think I'm going to have to listen to it quite a few more times to start appreciating it. It seems like the least accessible of all the Stereolab albums I've heard so far.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SG7
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »

Funny you say that. I found the hardest one was Sound Dust. Still is sometimes. Really reminds me of Smile stuff a lot. MAQ is a great album as well. Dots and Loops is a still  big favorite of mine as is a lot of Aluminum Tunes. Really out there stuff, but amazing to me.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:16:11 AM »

I think Carl Wilson should've sang BG on one of Stereolab's more loungy-sounding songs.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

SG7
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 05:24:03 AM »

I think Carl Wilson should've sang BG on one of Stereolab's more loungy-sounding songs.

LOL Glad to say he didn't!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 06:34:37 AM »

LOL Glad to say he didn't!

Are you joking or serious? It's sometimes hard to tell on "teh intarwebs."

Sean O'Hagan could've hooked something like that up in the mid-90s, having associations with both Stereolab and (albeit briefly) the BBs.

SG7
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »

I don't think Carl would have sounded right with Stereolab. A little too unconventional for him I think.

It is a shame that the Sean O Hagan thing fell through. He could have worked wonders for them.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 07:41:03 AM »

I don't think Carl would have sounded right with Stereolab. A little too unconventional for him I think.

It is a shame that the Sean O Hagan thing fell through. He could have worked wonders for them.

Good call. I like the Llamas, but do find O'Hagan's voice a bit sugary. Imaging Carl and Brian having worked with the band in the mid-'90s? But then, the Wondermints connection might never have happened. That would've been a bit sad, wouldn't it?

I am an ardent fan of the Llama's 'Lollo Rosso'. Truly addictive easy lounge disco.

SG7
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 08:48:44 AM »

Snowbug is my favorite, right up there with Hawaii. "Bach Ze" is such a freakin' pretty song in mono. "Green Coaster" is another big favorite of mine too on that.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 11:37:28 AM »

Snowbug is my favorite, right up there with Hawaii. "Bach Ze" is such a freakin' pretty song in mono. "Green Coaster" is another big favorite of mine too on that.

I like your avatar.

SG7
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 02:41:47 PM »

Thank you Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx