gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:29:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS bonus tracks  (Read 8785 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 03:20:37 AM »

As I normally don't care too much for bonus tracks, I've bought the standard version of TLOS. So, is there a chance to buy these bonus cuts online or listen to them streaming somewhere?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 09:33:27 AM »

If I didn't know that was Carole King singing on "I'm Into Something Good", I wouldn't recognize her; she sings so high, and, well, young. Carole King fans, is this her typical voice these days?
Wilsonista
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 10:22:45 AM »

Not really. I saw her in concert in 2005/06-ish and her voice is still much like it was on Tapestry only with some slight rasp. Her vocals were still very expressive and conversational, much like her 70's singer-songwriter work. The vocal on Something Good, however, is a result of Wilsonesque multi-tracking very much like some of the vaunted demos of her 60's classics.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 10:40:37 AM »

If I didn't know that was Carole King singing on "I'm Into Something Good", I wouldn't recognize her; she sings so high, and, well, young. Carole King fans, is this her typical voice these days?
I completely agree. It's crazy.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 10:56:56 AM »

I thought she only sang on "Good Kind of Love".

Then again, i thought she wrote that too, so what the hell do I know. LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2008, 12:27:57 PM »

Nope, she sings on that and as a duet partner on "I'm Into Something Good."

I was also surprised she sounded like that.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 12:49:16 PM »

I can't get over Carole King's voice. How can it sound younger in 2008 than it did in 1971??

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »

If anyone wants to discuss the iTunes and/or Best Buy bonus tracks, email me.

D
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 02:47:33 AM »

Does anyone know the credit details for the bonus tracks? At least one sounds, to my ears, more like a Paley era track than a recent effort. Are BW band members involved in all, as some of the backing vox are less characteristic. HAs Brian been recording with session musos on the side?

“We live in divisive times.”
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 07:04:30 AM »

I just awoke from a sleep in which I dreamed Brian re-did "Message Man" as a hip-hop inspired R&B tune. I heard the song in my dream. It was, without question, the worst BW/BB song ever. By far. It also had new lyrics that hit new peaks (of valleys, I suppose) for awfulness. I am suddenly much more thankful for the real version and am afraid to ever go back to sleep for fear that I'll wreck another song.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 07:44:59 AM »

Does anyone know the credit details for the bonus tracks? At least one sounds, to my ears, more like a Paley era track than a recent effort. Are BW band members involved in all, as some of the backing vox are less characteristic. HAs Brian been recording with session musos on the side?

I think Danny Hutton is on Message Man, the BVs on Oh Mi Amor and Just like me and you sound like all Brian to me.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 06:27:19 AM »

While I loved "I'm Into Something Good" and "Just Like Me And You" at first listen, I have not been too keen on the iTunes bonus tracks.  Until yesterday.  I'll explain.  I was in my car, driving in the country, listening to That Lucky Old Sun on my car stereo.  I had put all of the bonus tracks (except for the Carole King version of Good Kind Of Love) on the mp3 player, so "I'm Into Something Good" started playing right after TLOS ended.  Well, I started playing around with the three band EQ on my car stereo, trying different things, and at one point I boosted the mids a bit, and brought down the highs, trying to simulate an AM radio signal.  Right then, "Just Like Me And You" started, and I was immediately transported to an earlier time, when AM radio was king, and it was glorious.  When "Oh Mi Amor" came on next, it was like I was listening to a different song than when I had played it previously.  I immediately got it.  The mix was pure Brian Wilson, the harmonies beautiful, and the lead vocal smooth.  The instrumentation was perfect for an AM radio.  Next came "Message Man", and while that one is not so '60s sounding, it sounded way better to my ears, too.  I had to play all of the bonus tracks again.  It was as if I was listening to 1960's era singles that I had never heard before.  The dude has still got it.  But I knew that already.  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:20:38 AM by LostArt » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 06:42:06 AM »

except for the Carole King version of FSBMSG

Are you sure you don't mean "Good Kind of Love"?
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 07:15:14 AM »

That's what I said. Wink Hey, it was early in the morning for me.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:18:36 AM by LostArt » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 07:24:01 AM »

That's what I said. Wink Hey, it was early in the morning for me.

Haha no problem. Smiley It just wouldn't have surprised me if I found out that there was ANOTHER bonus tracks version flying around somewhere!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 08:39:33 AM »

I just awoke from a sleep in which I dreamed Brian re-did "Message Man" as a hip-hop inspired R&B tune. I heard the song in my dream. 
Ooh...that gives me an idea... Wink

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx